Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9 [All]

Author Topic: Anyone lose a saddle bag while riding?  (Read 41775 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Anyone lose a saddle bag while riding?
« on: June 27, 2010, 12:38:04 PM »

Not literally, but has anyone ever had one fall off?

I spent three hours Friday evening cleaning up my '09 O/B SERG, almost ashamed to be seen in public with the dirty thing.

The last items to go back on are always my saddle bags.  I've had this twist lock pin setup before on the SERK and installed and used Dzus fasteners on my Willys tilt front end, so I understand the twist past the cam and lock of the items.

I rode about 100 miles to a HD shop I had never been to before and looked around and had a Diet Coke and chilled a bit.  I double checked everything before I left to make sure all was well.  After that it was out of sight out of mind.

I rode another 100 miles down to Truman Lake on the central west side of Missouri to see a girl I graduated high school with up in Michigan.  All was well when I hit the rode.

My wife is at the Lake of the Ozarks with some lady friends and I called her from Truman Lake to see if I could stop by and say hi.  I really just wanted to ride my arse off yesterday and didn't much care where I went.

I headed across highway 52 between the two lakes and the road was under construction.  New blacktop and old concrete with the usual steps between the two where they start and stop their work.  It's about 50 miles across and there were probably 8 to 10 of these transitions along the way.  Some came up so fast you didn't know they were there, others you could watch the car ahead and see where the smooth spots were.

I'm going about 60 mph all the way and when I get to a little town about 3/4 of the way there, a couple cars pull up to me and yell at me that I lost my saddle tank, as they called it.  CHIT!!!!!  They said it came off about 3 miles back, but the sun was at my rear and lights from behind were hard to see.

So I high tailed it back to look for my left saddle bag full of stuff.  I went way past where they said if fell off without seeing a thing.  I pulled into a side road to turn around and a car pulled in behind me and they had picked up the saddle bag and went through it for identification of some kind, but then saw me going slow and without one saddle bag.  I thanked them and put it back on.

It was boarding on about 100 degrees on the road while riding and with the loss of the bag I was a bit upset.  So after the bag was back in place I took out another Diet Coke from my right side bag and cooler and cooled off a bit trying to calm my nerves a bit.

The bag had never opened up while skidding, but did a number on the latch assembly, the top and the lower bag extension, '09 SERG.  The girl had taken all our rain gear out, shirts, tool kit, air shock pump and all my camera stuff, but it was still there with my two CHIT twist pins.

To make a VERY long story short....  TOOOOOOO LAAAATE!

Has anyone else ever dropped a bag while riding?

I looked at the twist lock pins and they look good, but I know it had to do with the very hard raps I had given the bike on those transition bumps.  I guess if the bag bumped up and took enough slack off the pins, they could work loose.  But like I said, I know how to use the damn pins and would not just leave them without bottoming them out to the right before buttoning up the lids.

All the way home I kept checking to make sure both bags were still there.  I guess I'll be paranoid for some time.  I'm now thinking of taking out the twist pins and replacing them with bolts and nylock nuts, just to be on the safe side.

Anyone have to replace a SERG bag complete?  I'm going to the dealer today to get a price quote, but I can only guess it's going to be a couple thousand bucks with a complete read to bolt on bag with O/B CVO paint.

I'm sure the insurance company will say just repair the scratch, replace the chrome latch and have it repainted.  My thought on this is that yes, there at people that do the color to match paint jobs, but when a O.E.M. doesn't give out color codes the usual shops cannot do a repair.

I'm saying replace only, what do you guys think?

Sorry about my riding trip dissertation, I could have just asked if anyone had dropped a bag while riding and left it at that.  Buy hey, it's me and once my fingers get moving I can't stop them...

:(  :(  :(
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
Re: Anyone lose a saddle bag while riding?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 12:45:32 PM »

Dan, that really sucks.  I just noticed that the ends of the pins on my SG were starting to spread, so I bought new ones.  It's a crude system at best.
I would pursue the insurance route.  All of my experiences with motorcycles claims is they want to buy the pre painted factory parts, there are not many motorcycle claims and they know how fussy we are.  I've never seen them want to pay for custom paint.  My old deuce was wrecked by its owner.  I had custom painted it.  The insurance company paid for one of the limited edition HD paint jobs and he got to keep all the sheet metal which seems very fair.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 12:50:15 PM »

Dan, that really sucks.  I just noticed that the ends of the pins on my SG were starting to spread, so I bought new ones.  It's a crude system at best.
I would pursue the insurance route.  All of my experiences with motorcycles claims is they want to buy the pre painted factory parts, there are not many motorcycle claims and they know how fussy we are.  I've never seen them want to pay for custom paint.  My old deuce was wrecked by its owner.  I had custom painted it.  The insurance company paid for one of the limited edition HD paint jobs and he got to keep all the sheet metal which seems very fair.

Thanks for the input.

I doubt that if I do the replacement bag thing that I'll get to keep the old bag.  Doesn't the MOCO require on CVO painted items that are only a year or two old that they return all salvage parts?  Now that I think about it, that may be for warranty, but then again I remember guys wanting to buy replacement dash items and the MOCO wanted the original one back.

Thanks again and now that I've got my first scrape on the bike, I may not be quite as anal about it.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »

Buddy of mine (who may see this and comment) had his '09 SERG saddlebags replaced by insurance.  He kept both the old ones.  The Dealership didn't want to try to repair and paint them because with the extensions, they'd just never look right.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 02:24:16 PM »

Sorry to hear about the damage. I have had both bags come loose at one time or another from the hardware working loose on rough roads but luckily the other pin held it from falling off completely. Although I have the 08 SEK as you once had and I really wanted the hard bags done I rectified the problem by using a SS bolt with a low profile jam nut to keep it in place, so now I just push the bag over the stud and use nylon sealing nuts in the bag. It may not work on your new bike (really Jealous their) but It works well for me and it reduces the theft possibility. I had photos of the system posted on here awhile ago, but you are so mechanically minded you probably already have a better system to replace the one on the bike.

Good Luck

Ray G.

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 02:52:21 PM »

You might want to have a look at this thread -> http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=49814.0

This has happened to a number of 2010 FLSTSE owners as well. Do you have a picture of the mounting points? I wonder if they are the same design?

MikeV
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 04:36:45 PM by MikeV »
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 03:33:07 PM »

You might want to have a look at this thread -> http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=49814.0

This has happened to a number of 2010 FLSTSE users as well. Do you have a picture of the mounting points? I wonder if they are the same design?

MikeV

Thanks Mike.  I checked that out.  It sounds like others have had issues and it seems that although some have lost both, it seems more have lost the left side just like I did.

I just got back from the dealership and priced out the 5 parts I need.

Lid
Gasket
Body/Skirt
Chrome Latch Cover
Bottom Skid Plate

This will set me back $1,646.00.  The lid along with the body/skirt are listed as "Restricted Order Only".  The parts manager said that he'll need the VIN and full payment to order these.  The MOCO will tap their parts account with a $5,000.00 deposit for these parts and will remove it when the parts are returned.  This will give them some incentive to get the parts back.  But if this is going to be an insurance job, the insurance company will own the parts, just like in a car repair.

I'll talk to my insurance agent tomorrow and update everyone tomorrow night.

Thanks to all for the input so far.

If anyone has proof that these DO loosen up and that HD "might" be pushed to warranty this, please post.

Thanks again.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 03:57:51 PM »

I remember reading something like this about a member who had just picked up an '09 SERG and lost a bag on the ride home from the dealership.  I believe the dealership make it right.
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

Scotty

• Full CVO Member
  • Scotty's Road Glide
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 05:07:11 PM »

I remember reading something like this about a member who had just picked up an '09 SERG and lost a bag on the ride home from the dealership.  I believe the dealership make it right.

That would be me. Picked up the brand new SERG and drove 30 miles up the road and the right bag fell off.
HD dealer in Salem, Oregon made it right and sent me a brand new one.
This is what was left of the old one..
09 SERG
Andrews 54 Cams
SE Heavy Breather
V&H Power Duals
Fullsac 2.0 Baffles
Heads by "Freds Heads"
SE Pro Super Tuner

Scotty

• Full CVO Member
  • Scotty's Road Glide
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 05:17:14 PM »

Here is the bike now. Very happy with it

Scotty in Seattle
09 SERG
Andrews 54 Cams
SE Heavy Breather
V&H Power Duals
Fullsac 2.0 Baffles
Heads by "Freds Heads"
SE Pro Super Tuner

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 05:19:47 PM »

That would be me. Picked up the brand new SERG and drove 30 miles up the road and the right bag fell off.
HD dealer in Salem, Oregon made it right and sent me a brand new one.
This is what was left of the old one..

I love it when I remember things.......Thanks for making my day Scotty :2vrolijk_21:
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

CTcvorider

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2010 R1200RT
    • CVO3: 1985 Ducati MHR Mille
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 07:34:49 PM »

I lost my left saddlebag about a month after I bought my bike (08 SEUC).  The bracket that the rear Dzus pin goes into had loosened up and actually fallen off.  The dealer replaced the bracket no charge, but mother HOG said that 'one pin should be adequate to hold it on' so wouldn't replaced the scraped up latch and plastic.  I hit an unseen frost heave at about 50 mph that bounced me about 4" off the seat.  So much for the immaculate paint job.  After two years now, I don't notice it as much.

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 09:17:16 PM »

Yikes, that sucks- sorry to hear.

Makes me glad I ordered the Saddlebag Secure set up from Brukus, along with the seat screw. I'm willing to bet you will be doing the same.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 09:45:06 PM »

Dan:

As others said, "that really sucks"....note my pic, two reasons I had the dealer put on the chrome bars like the standard Ultras have...won't loose a bag & if I lay it over, the bars will protect the bags.  The latter has occurred .... in the garage! :oops:
T

t rider

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 07:37:13 AM »

Scotty, What seat is that? Looks nice
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 04:38:17 PM by t rider »

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 07:45:57 AM »

Thanks Mike.  I checked that out.  It sounds like others have had issues and it seems that although some have lost both, it seems more have lost the left side just like I did.

I just got back from the dealership and priced out the 5 parts I need.

Lid
Gasket
Body/Skirt
Chrome Latch Cover
Bottom Skid Plate

This will set me back $1,646.00.  The lid along with the body/skirt are listed as "Restricted Order Only".  The parts manager said that he'll need the VIN and full payment to order these.  The MOCO will tap their parts account with a $5,000.00 deposit for these parts and will remove it when the parts are returned.  This will give them some incentive to get the parts back.  But if this is going to be an insurance job, the insurance company will own the parts, just like in a car repair.

I'll talk to my insurance agent tomorrow and update everyone tomorrow night.

Thanks to all for the input so far.

If anyone has proof that these DO loosen up and that HD "might" be pushed to warranty this, please post.

Thanks again.

All they have to say is that it fell off and now it's lost.  What if it was stolen?  Frankly, this is another reason that I would not buy another CVO.  At least my FXR4 has obsolete parts and no return the old parts story there.  I do not feel the need to continue the paint job theme if something were to happen.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 07:48:51 AM by skreminegul07 »

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 09:52:47 AM »

Back in 2006 after we left Cripple Creek with Neal and Steve on his Honda, Steve realizes he lost a saddlebag somewhere between Breckenridge, Loveland Pass and Georgetown, CO
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

StrokedRider

• If i had to do it all over again i would Ride a little harder, Love a little better and Stay a little longer.
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Ride Hard, Live Free!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red / Black Ice (SOLD to Mjcw01)
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 10:08:43 AM »

Have not lost a bag but found one of the pins had come out and was laying in bottom of bag. I checked into it and found the bracket that holds the clip was not in full alaignment and allowed the pin to only catch on one point. Even though i realaigned it (and checked all the others) i still make a mental note to look/check em. PITA!
"Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"

Jus Cruisin

• SERG Rider
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2010, 10:29:52 AM »

New to these bags and I will now be checking mine regularly!
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange, Fullsac and SERT

Other stuff in my garage: All American
2010 F150 Platinum 4X2
2008 Roush Mustang 428R, only 435hp
2008 Corvette convertible, 436hp

silkyjb

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 12:41:34 PM »

I had my left side bag fall off going through Richmond Va. on Int.95. Completely ruined but luckily I had a liner inside so nothing was lost. To remedy this from happening again I put a bolt through the front hole and used the twist pin in the back. Even if the pin pops loose the bolt will hold it on . Takes a minute or two to remove the bags but atleast they won't fall off.

TBird

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG O/B
    • CVO2: 08 SERK Annie (Traded)
    • CVO3: 05 Springer Classic
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 12:46:26 PM »

Didn't have a bag fall off but I went to open my right bag and all the screws holding the latch together are gone.
"We might be divorced but your still my sister"

Scotty

• Full CVO Member
  • Scotty's Road Glide
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2010, 05:25:04 PM »

Scotty, What seat is that? Looks nice

It is a Sundowner seat.. Much better than the stock one.

Love your silver color combo.

Ride safe
Scotty in Seattle
09 SERG
Andrews 54 Cams
SE Heavy Breather
V&H Power Duals
Fullsac 2.0 Baffles
Heads by "Freds Heads"
SE Pro Super Tuner

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2018 RGU
    • CVO2: 2018 FreeWheeler
    • CVO3: 2007 VRSCX Vrod #328
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2010, 06:26:15 PM »

just a thought, but i have used stainless steel tie wraps on my road king leather hard bags, like the ones that come with header wrap. and tie wrap the loops of the twist pins together so they can't turn. don't know if it works but 40k miles and they haven't backed off. got a bag of them at harbor freight so i just cut and replace them when i take the bags off.
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
2007 V&H PRO Stock Tribute #328 VRod
IBA Member 45500

t rider

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2010, 06:53:57 PM »

Thanks Scotty

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2010, 11:17:25 AM »

If you have to buy one, call Jenni at Tri-County HD.  20% off and probably quicker than your dealer.  I got my '05 SEEG stuff from her (after some ahole rear-ended me) in about 6 weeks and saved almost $500.  Many have purchased through her with great results. 
513-874-4343.

Chris
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2010, 04:32:55 PM »

I would think a good remedy would be a set of the hood pins we used to put on our cars with a clevis pin.  Very secure.  Never mind that two weeks ago hood flew open during the Nascar race (after a collision).
Cheap, simple to install.  You can even cable the pins together not to lose them.  

Jus Cruisin

• SERG Rider
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2010, 08:16:00 AM »

I would think a good remedy would be a set of the hood pins we used to put on our cars with a clevis pin.  Very secure.  Never mind that two weeks ago hood flew open during the Nascar race (after a collision).
Cheap, simple to install.  You can even cable the pins together not to lose them.  

That's not bad idea! I have hood pins on my Roush 428R. Easy to operate and, like you said, secure. It would just be a matter of getting the correct length and size.
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange, Fullsac and SERT

Other stuff in my garage: All American
2010 F150 Platinum 4X2
2008 Roush Mustang 428R, only 435hp
2008 Corvette convertible, 436hp

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2010, 08:00:02 PM »

That's not bad idea! I have hood pins on my Roush 428R. Easy to operate and, like you said, secure. It would just be a matter of getting the correct length and size.

They are just threaded so cut to length.  On the inside you would need some flexible washer or similar to make it rattle free.  In essence you would only need one of these pins in each bag to keep it in place.  It would be much harder to steal a bag this way.

Jon Seddon

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4 - Big Bertha
    • CVO2: Non CVO - Softail Deluxe (wife's) lady lou
    • CVO3: Non CVO - Triumph T160 Trident/Ducati 900ss (I hope)
Brukus
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2010, 02:41:19 AM »

Just ordered the saddlebag kit from Brukus, hasn't been delivered yet but response from these chaps was really good and price looked reasonable.

Here's hoping they won't get lost across the pond.

Jon

Racerdj

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2015 FLHXSE

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2010, 07:47:47 AM »

Not yet and I hope not to in the future.
Harley addict here looking for 'The Cure'

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2010, 11:27:26 PM »

Well I just got my insurance check last Thursday and this morning I ordered my complete new LH O/B saddle bag from Jenni at Tri County HD in OH.

She seems really nice and cut me a great deal.  We're not sure but it appears I can keep the old saddle bag.  I just had to give her my VIN to get it ordered.

20% off, no tax and $10.00 shipping.

What a deal...

:2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2010, 05:07:15 PM »

Jenni's customer service is 4 star

barkleydog

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2010, 01:22:28 PM »

As a previous CVO owner I still still read here. I purchased a 2009 SG. Had about 1500 miles and the right bag came off. It was locked and did not open. Pretty beat up but put back on and headed to to the closest HD dealer. I was on my way to the air show in Osh Kosh Wi.. Dealer checked it out said I must have not had the pins tight. Oh well live and learn. About 100 miles later comes off again. Not so lucky this time, hit a steel pole and exploded.

I then went to an unamed dealer near the show and the old fart just said tuff luck see ya... I asked that he call harley for any issues with the pin system on my model run. He came back and said denied. I asked for the claim number and left. I went down the street and called HD customer service. The third lady I finally got to, could not have been nicer. Said buy a back pack and continue. She said she would call ME when I returned and told me to have a good trip.

Sure enough the day after I returned home she called me and said the pins are never a warranty issue because even the dealer could install them improperly. She promptly offered tho pay half at the dealer of my choice through a credit  on thier parts acct. GREAT service from HD... The rest of the story is not so good but that does not really matter anymore.

So Why not give that route a try. It may help you. Note, though I have purchased several new H Ds in the last few years, do not know if that helped, but CS was Great.

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2010, 01:33:14 PM »

Glad I added the chrome bars around the bags like the standard Ultra....don't know why they were removed in the first place?!?!

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2010, 04:20:06 PM »

Dan, have had one of my pins come out while riding.  Received my Brukus "SaddlebagSecure" kit today and installed it.  No more worries now.  Good price, fast delivery and easy installation.
TTS Mastertune - Doc's Performance Tuning
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
LED Headlight & Driving Lights from HD

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2010, 10:45:21 PM »

Dan, have had one of my pins come out while riding.  Received my Brukus "SaddlebagSecure" kit today and installed it.  No more worries now.  Good price, fast delivery and easy installation.

Thanks to all on the comments.

I still cannot figure out how with as much preload these 1/4 turn pins have that they could come loose.  I have say come loose because I've dealt with them for years and I make it a point to double turn them when I put the bags back on.

Turds occur I guess.

I'll be doing something different when I get my new bag from Jenni.

Thanks again guys and to the ones that have lost one or more, I feel the pain...

:(  :(  :(
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Jon Seddon

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4 - Big Bertha
    • CVO2: Non CVO - Softail Deluxe (wife's) lady lou
    • CVO3: Non CVO - Triumph T160 Trident/Ducati 900ss (I hope)
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2010, 02:26:36 AM »

Got my Brukus kit, really easy to fit and great customer service.

Jon

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2010, 09:56:29 PM »

Glad I added the chrome bars around the bags like the standard Ultra....don't know why they were removed in the first place?!?!

What tennisman says, I added the (crash) rear saddlebag guards to my 2010 Ultra CVO. I know many here say it takes away from the Flames and Paint Job, so what for the time the bike may tip over or some with saddle bags popping off I know the bags are protected.

And for those who will say I never, never ever have dropped my bike, great for you, you know the saying its never if its when.

geezerglide

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2010, 07:16:49 AM »

Amen Geezerglide...have had one garage tipover and one during a tight turnaround on gravel road (which I try to avoid at all costs!).  No harm done.  Bars saved the bags.  Can't have too much chrome!  I added both fore and aft front fender chrome tips from an RK, the lighted rear fender tip, the chrome dash bezel, rear speaker grill chrome, passenger chrome grab handles, and chrome helmet locks to my engine guards.  Didn't do any chrome on the engine cause I don't want to trap any heat.
T

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2010, 05:23:24 PM »

Amen Geezerglide...have had one garage tipover and one during a tight turnaround on gravel road (which I try to avoid at all costs!).  No harm done.  Bars saved the bags.  Can't have too much chrome!  I added both fore and aft front fender chrome tips from an RK, the lighted rear fender tip, the chrome dash bezel, rear speaker grill chrome, passenger chrome grab handles, and chrome helmet locks to my engine guards.  Didn't do any chrome on the engine cause I don't want to trap any heat.
T

T

Sounds like a nice looking scooter........any pictures?
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2010, 08:32:48 PM »

Just my sigpic for now....what is the limit on pics on this site?

Brukus

• The Big Brukus
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • Brukus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2011, 11:42:49 PM »

Yikes, that sucks- sorry to hear.

Makes me glad I ordered the Saddlebag Secure set up from Brukus, along with the seat screw. I'm willing to bet you will be doing the same.

Thanks for the good word. Incidents like this are exactly why we developed SaddlebagSecure.Still released pretty quickly, but never when just going down the road. As a matter of fact, a customer had our SaddlebagSecure for almost a year, wrecked his bike and most of the bag was gone but the SaddlebagSecure was still holding the back side of the bike on.
The Big Brukus   ~   Big + Ruckus = Brukus
Navy Vet

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2011, 09:44:24 AM »

Thanks for the good word. Incidents like this are exactly why we developed SaddlebagSecure.Still released pretty quickly, but never when just going down the road. As a matter of fact, a customer had our SaddlebagSecure for almost a year, wrecked his bike and most of the bag was gone but the SaddlebagSecure was still holding the back side of the bike on.
what all comes in the kit?
Hawg

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2011, 09:55:49 AM »

Just my sigpic for now....what is the limit on pics on this site?

The F.A.Q.s section of the board will cover most user questions. :2vrolijk_21:    For this one, click here....  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=2540.0

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2011, 09:59:01 AM »

what all comes in the kit?

Take a look at this thread, reply #32 for a pic of the kit. I have it....it's good quality hardware and shipped quickly after you order.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=60689.0;all

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2011, 10:03:55 AM »

Well I just got my insurance check last Thursday and this morning I ordered my complete new LH O/B saddle bag from Jenni at Tri County HD in OH.

She seems really nice and cut me a great deal.  We're not sure but it appears I can keep the old saddle bag.  I just had to give her my VIN to get it ordered.

20% off, no tax and $10.00 shipping.

What a deal...

:2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:

You should be able to keep your old bag.  I kept all my old paint when I had my accident a few years back.

By the way.....the retention spring can loose it's tension.  Not real common, but it can happen.  Not sure if they get bent or what but I've replaced a couple of them over the years.  If you don't have stiff tension, you may want to consider playing it safe and replace it.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2011, 06:56:40 PM »

If you had had a Yuengling instead of a Diet Coke, probally wouldn't have happened!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

rganz

• Senior CVO Member
  • Do Unto Others----First

• CVO1: 09 SERG
    • CVO2: Fat Boy
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2011, 07:14:38 PM »

ordered the Brukus kit a week or so ago....  :confused5: :confused5:
Rob
Rob

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2011, 08:10:45 PM »

Well I'm the guy that started this thread and have since replaced my scratched and dented bag with the new one.

I still double check my twist/turn locks every time I ride just to make sure they are locked.  At some point I'll change them out to a more secure attachment, but I still reach back while I'm riding to make sure they're still there.

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2011, 09:28:19 PM »

These Brukus deals look pretty sweet. Just ordered the saddlebag lock and the seat screw. Just thinking, it would only take 30 sec for someone to unscrew the seat and take it.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2011, 06:58:12 AM »

These Brukus deals look pretty sweet. Just ordered the saddlebag lock and the seat screw. Just thinking, it would only take 30 sec for someone to unscrew the seat and take it.

That's what I thought also :2vrolijk_21:

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2011, 06:55:59 PM »

Twice I had one of the twist/turn locks come loose.  Ordered the Brukus.....received in 4 days....took 5 minutes to install.  Seems to work just fine.
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2011, 08:28:14 PM »

Got my seat lock today on in less than 5 minutes look good and is a quality product... I have the saddlebag locks and they give you a little better piece of mind....

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2011, 03:48:34 PM »

Ordered a set of Brukus fasteners today from the Member Discount thread, only way to go, don't want to ever find out I've lost one off my 09 SERG O/B. :nervous:
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

Widows Son

• No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child - Shriners of America
  • Full CVO Member
  • narasimhalu.smugmug.com

• Sanjay Narasimhalu Photography
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2011, 09:42:12 PM »

This thread is bad mojo...you know, when they tell you to not look down from high places so you don't freeze, so what do you do? you look down. Or when someone cut's one and says that stinks real bad, and what do you do? Take a sniff and agree that was a bad idea....well ever since I read this thread a few weeks ago, I find my hand slipping back to feel if the bags are still there when I go for rides. After reading this thread and the other thread on the seat lock, I ordered the saddlebag and seat locking combo kit yesterday from Brukus.

BTW: I am NOT reading the thread on "how long and how many times" !!!!  :nervous: Ignorance has its benefits :nixweiss:

Wild 1 Chubby WO575
C&C seat
Dynojet Power Vision
Jackpot 2-1-2 header
V&H Hi-Output
J&M 250W amp + 7.25" Speakers
Chrome Agitators
Harley Goodies floorboard extensions
Wheeldock EZ-up centerstand
Klock Werks 8.5"
Boogey Lights - 126 LEDs
3M Armor
Kury LED Headlight
Brukus saddlebag & seat hardware
Gizmos: GoPro HD, SPOT

nuckelhead

• Full CVO Member
  • if it ain't broke... take it off and chrome it!!!!

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 KRYPTONITE / BLACK DIAMOND
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2011, 11:14:42 PM »

a couple that i ride with both own CVOs.  she rides a 2011 convertible (hard bags wrapped in leather).  we rode on a dinner ride the other night.  i rode sweep and she was riding right in front of me.  her left bag fell off and went bouncing past me.  pin was bad.  she had less that 800 miles on the bike.  dealer covered it under warranty, but told my buddy that replacing just one bag is $950, if not under warranty.
everything i own has been stolen and then replaced with exact replicas....

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2011, 06:55:53 AM »

a couple that i ride with both own CVOs.  she rides a 2011 convertible (hard bags wrapped in leather).  we rode on a dinner ride the other night.  i rode sweep and she was riding right in front of me.  her left bag fell off and went bouncing past me.  pin was bad.  she had less that 800 miles on the bike.  dealer covered it under warranty, but told my buddy that replacing just one bag is $950, if not under warranty.

At least they are covering it without trying to blame her.....and one bag on your Krypto is probably $1200-1500!  That's how much they were on my '10 Candy Concord....

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2011, 09:14:44 AM »

Installed a couple of the Brukus fasteners in my hard bags on the Huckleberry last night....one less thing to worry 'bout.  :) har.  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2011, 10:49:46 PM »

Have to ask, are these fasners just not your typical automotive slide on clip with special screw heads to avoid tampering?
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2011, 11:16:46 PM »

If so, they sure match-up very well to the parts to be affixed & they are high quality fasteners.   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2011, 06:38:35 AM »

Have to ask, are these fasners just not your typical automotive slide on clip with special screw heads to avoid tampering?

That's what they are....but they are nice and stainless.....

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2011, 01:09:14 PM »

That's what they are....but they are nice and stainless.....

My only question about this type of fastener is that we're only tightening them into the rubber grommet on the side of the saddlebag.  With the rubber between the J nut and the head of the bolt and washer, how can you torque the bolt down to know it's not going to loosen up?

So for the guys that have these kits installed, how often do you take out the Torx wrench and double check the bolt that it's still tight?

I still think some type of pin or non threaded attachment would be more dependable and would not have to be tweaked every time you ride.

Just a thought.  And yes, I'm still the guy that lost his left saddlebag and started this thread.

For now, I just check my 1/4 turn pins every time I ride.  I will give this some thought soon to see what I can come up with.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive.  I hope it has saved someone from losing their saddlebags.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2011, 01:25:28 PM »

Dan, those spring-clips have some kind of tensioner/keeper ends on them that the bolt screws into.....I'm not familiar with this but appears to act like a nyloc nut to keep it from backing off.  But, I may be overly paranoid so I just hedged my bet and put one on ea. bag.  Less to have to take off ea. time also.  Only time will tell on this deal.  ??? har.  spyder

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2011, 01:46:59 PM »

Dan, those spring-clips have some kind of tensioner/keeper ends on them that the bolt screws into.....I'm not familiar with this but appears to act like a nyloc nut to keep it from backing off.  But, I may be overly paranoid so I just hedged my bet and put one on ea. bag.  Less to have to take off ea. time also.  Only time will tell on this deal.  ??? har.  spyder

I only used one on each also. But I would think using the big washer on the inside and tightening down on the rubber grommet is only going to go so far and that's it, so it should stay tight once the rubber has been squeezed as far as it will go. I've done a few hundred miles with them on and they have not loosened up yet.

Southern Rider

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2010-FLHTCUSE5c

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2010 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2011, 02:10:30 PM »

I've not had any problems with the pins but the front bracket that the pin goes into did fall off the bike while riding the Dragon.  Ashamed to say, I had to use a screw off a Goldwing to hold it on till I could get a replacement bolt.  Not many options up in the mountains.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2011, 05:13:01 PM »

I've not had any problems with the pins but the front bracket that the pin goes into did fall off the bike while riding the Dragon.  Ashamed to say, I had to use a screw off a Goldwing to hold it on till I could get a replacement bolt.  Not many options up in the mountains.
Just wondering  :-\  from where on the Goldwing you removed the screw & did you 'fess-up' to the Wing rider?  :nixweiss:   har.  spyder

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2011, 07:04:07 PM »

If so, they sure match-up very well to the parts to be affixed & they are high quality fasteners.   spyder

looking at the picture it appears thats a torx bit for the fastener.

What does the clip look like that fastens to the bracket?

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Southern Rider

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2010-FLHTCUSE5c

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2010 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2011, 07:44:00 AM »

Just wondering  :-\  from where on the Goldwing you removed the screw & did you 'fess-up' to the Wing rider?  :nixweiss:   har.  spyder

Well the Wing rider had dropped his bike that morning on a pull off with lots of gravel and broke his foot peg off.  I did have to listen the rest of the trip about my Harley having Honda parts on it.  THE SHAME OF IT!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2011, 09:46:08 AM »

Well the Wing rider had dropped his bike that morning on a pull off with lots of gravel and broke his foot peg off.  I did have to listen the rest of the trip about my Harley having Honda parts on it.  THE SHAME OF IT!
That's great.......a 'donor Honda'.  ;D har.  spyder

rganz

• Senior CVO Member
  • Do Unto Others----First

• CVO1: 09 SERG
    • CVO2: Fat Boy
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2011, 10:14:47 AM »

My only question about this type of fastener is that we're only tightening them into the rubber grommet on the side of the saddlebag.  With the rubber between the J nut and the head of the bolt and washer, how can you torque the bolt down to know it's not going to loosen up?

So for the guys that have these kits installed, how often do you take out the Torx wrench and double check the bolt that it's still tight?

I still think some type of pin or non threaded attachment would be more dependable and would not have to be tweaked every time you ride.

Just a thought.  And yes, I'm still the guy that lost his left saddlebag and started this thread.

For now, I just check my 1/4 turn pins every time I ride.  I will give this some thought soon to see what I can come up with.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive.  I hope it has saved someone from losing their saddlebags.
Dan
I ended up putting a spot of blue threadlocker on them when I installed them, because I had the same thoughts. Seems fine.

Rob
Rob

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2011, 01:21:14 AM »

I did lose one while riding on my '08 FLHX...

However, it had some help getting off...

The pins and clips held up just fine:

This bracket got a little tweaked...

The rest of the carnage below

By looking at the pics you may be able to determine this wasnt by my doing....  :confused5:

Riding with a few crazy friends, we were moving at a pretty good clip on the freeway when we suddenly ran out of room... everyone slowed up.. except the guy behind me.... he was still on the throttle (not a good thing)

The next few moments were surreal... I looked in the mirror and saw his face with a terrified look just as I got back into the throttle just as his front tire impacted the right saddlebag. I felt the impact and thought for sure this was gonna be an ugly end to a Sunday ride, but somehow, I managed to stay upright...

I recall me on the throttle, with the rear of my bike now sliding to the right, then to the left and back the other way until it straightened out.... I watched the saddlebag pass me, in the air... in slow motion, until it hit the ground and started the barrel roll with all my stuff flying out of the holes in it....

Next I heard his bike land on its left side, HARD, with the screech and grind like nails on a chalkboard. He rolled left, into the path of traffic as I heard lots of screeching and skidding as I see him tumbling in my left mirror. The bike slid for 350-400 feet before it stopped..... I rode behind it to keep cars from running it over,  then stood it up and pushed it to the shoulder... the rear of the group had slowed and gotten my friend off the road safely and we had an EMT with us, so he tended to my buddy.

As I walked through the debris field and was picking up stuff, I saw red plastic... then I turned around and realized that somehow he managed to take out the taillight as a result of the impact.

He was wearing a 1/2 helmet, smacked that on the road surface, bruised his cheek, and had road rash on BOTH of his arms from wrist to shoulder. No concussion, just bruised ego. He refused the ambulance ride and had his son pick him up and take him to emergency.

We rode my bike to the dealership and borrowed the shop truck and trailer to get my buddy's bike... didnt look too bad, but the fall on the primary side drove the primary cover into the clutch basket so it wasnt going anywhere.

It was a long day for a short ride... at least lunch was good. :drink:

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Widows Son

• No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child - Shriners of America
  • Full CVO Member
  • narasimhalu.smugmug.com

• Sanjay Narasimhalu Photography
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2011, 06:41:53 PM »

Finally got my Brukus saddle bag locks and also the seat lock. Install was easy and they are very secure.

2 things now that i'm on their mailing list 1) they do have the chrome cap for the seat bolt/lock whihc I read somewhere elese on this forum someone was wondering if the had and 2) They sent me a video on how easy it is to take a set of your bags.

Wild 1 Chubby WO575
C&C seat
Dynojet Power Vision
Jackpot 2-1-2 header
V&H Hi-Output
J&M 250W amp + 7.25" Speakers
Chrome Agitators
Harley Goodies floorboard extensions
Wheeldock EZ-up centerstand
Klock Werks 8.5"
Boogey Lights - 126 LEDs
3M Armor
Kury LED Headlight
Brukus saddlebag & seat hardware
Gizmos: GoPro HD, SPOT

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2011, 09:46:40 PM »

Finally got my Brukus saddle bag locks and also the seat lock. Install was easy and they are very secure.

2 things now that i'm on their mailing list 1) they do have the chrome cap for the seat bolt/lock whihc I read somewhere elese on this forum someone was wondering if the had and 2) They sent me a video on how easy it is to take a set of your bags.

X2

Brukus

• The Big Brukus
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2011, 12:23:43 PM »

You don't over-tighten and I've had them on my bags for 2-3 years now with no loosening. I honestly never give it a second thought. However, you are welcome to use Loctite Blue if you need that additional assurance.
Navy Vet

Brukus

• The Big Brukus
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2011, 12:34:06 PM »

DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER! I

SaddlebagSecure was our first product and this video shows why. When I made up the SaddlebagSecure kits, I knew the bags could be stolen fairly easily, which is why I made the product up for my bike. However, I had no idea just how easily until a couple of weeks ago when I decided to make up a video to show at an expo we were going to.

My first try was with a screw driver. It took me about 30 seconds to get one pin loose on my first try. I realized that if I just used the long-nose pliers, it would be even easier. We have testimony from police that a thief can have both bags off in 30 seconds. Obviously from the video - that would be working alone. I've revised the video a little from the one listed above, so here's the new one. Please don't shoot the messenger! And don't worry about a thief seeing this - they already know!

We appreciate your business and are continuing to develop quality products at the best prices we can to help you secure your bike. Securing your biking lifestyle - enabling you to go where you want and leave your bike where you want without worrying about it - is our goal.
Navy Vet

resqdoc

• Full CVO Member
  • de oppresso libre
    • MT

« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2011, 09:54:43 PM »

I lost my Right (Starboard) saddlebag when the bike was still new in 2007. I had just finished installing the D&D FatCat exhaust. I'm pretty sure it was my fault as I was distracted and anxious to take it for a spin. Probably didn't fasten the bag securely. Worried about it ever since, never had another problem though.

The bag flew off at an honest 70mph. Still using that same bag. Scuffed where it hit the asphault but flew into the median after that.

Learned several painful lessons that day.

• $700.00 on ebay to replace the bags.
  • Don't drive away from the garage without the alarm key fob. Or at least don't shut it down when you stop miles from home to pick up the lost bag beside the road.
  • If you chose to ignore #2, wear proper walking attire.
2007 FLHRSE3 with D&D Fatcats, SERT, AK-40 & Bitubo 330 mm, Glide-Pro, Clearview windscreen

Brukus

• The Big Brukus
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2011, 09:56:18 PM »

I lost my Right (Starboard) saddlebag when the bike was still new in 2007. I had just finished installing the D&D FatCat exhaust. I'm pretty sure it was my fault as I was distracted and anxious to take it for a spin. Probably didn't fasten the bag securely. Worried about it ever since, never had another problem though.

The bag flew off at an honest 70mph. Still using that same bag. Scuffed where it hit the asphault but flew into the median after that.

Learned several painful lessons that day.

• $700.00 on ebay to replace the bags.
  • Don't drive away from the garage without the alarm key fob. Or at least don't shut it down when you stop miles from home to pick up the lost bag beside the road.
  • If you chose to ignore #2, wear proper walking attire.

SaddlebagSecure can relieve your worries. We have customers that contact us all the time that this happens to. The pins break or come loose. That's why we designed the product as I had the same concerns.
Navy Vet

NSTY110RIDER

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2011, 11:39:33 PM »

I installed the Brukus SaddlebagSecure on my '08 SERK last week and it is really nice not having to reach back all the time to make sure my bags are still there !

OCD Cured !!! :pineapple: 
2008 Screamin Eagle Road King

Thundercloud

« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2011, 03:39:23 PM »

I ordered the Saddlebag Secures last Friday afternoon,  had them in my mail box last night (Monday) had them installed in about 15 minutes. They are a great product and Brukus's service is unbelievable!!!!!!

I am very happy with them and will be spreading the word.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2011, 10:51:02 AM »

Like others, I ordered the Saddlebag Secure kit and it arrived w/in 3 days.  Installation was very easy.  The bolts used are Torx security type, so I'll keep the Torx tool on the bike with my carry tool kit just in case a bag needs to be removed.

As for torque values, I just tightened the bolts until they were very snug.  After a 1600 roundtrip to Rolling Thunder, I washed/cleaned the bike.  When I removed the bolts they were just as snug as when the kit was installed.  To be candid, I sort of shrugged realizing I'd need to remove the bolts to remove the saddlebags rather than simply remove the OEM clevis pins.  However, the removal and install was so easy the bit of extra time it takes compared to the OEM clevis pins is measured in seconds, not minutes.

Carl     

Brukus

• The Big Brukus
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2011, 11:06:58 AM »

Thanks all for the good words on our SaddlebagSecure®!

FYI - We also make what we call a Tool Keyper that the security torque wrench slides into very tightly and you can keep the security tool with you on your keychain. We had a lot of requests for something like that - just because people weren't sure where to put the wrench to make sure they had it with them. So I designed the Tool Keyper to help with that issue.

Had a customer yesterday coin a word - they had all but one of our security products, and they were going to get the last one before heading to Sturgis. So they said they had to make sure their bike was "Brukified". LOL! "Fortified with Brukus" - Brukufied.
Navy Vet

resqdoc

• Full CVO Member
  • de oppresso libre
    • MT

« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2011, 12:13:20 AM »

As per comments above. I ordered a couple items from Brukus the day I posted this comment. They arrived a few days later.

In addition to the SaddlebagSecures, I ordered the WindshieldShackle. In fact, they arrived the same day as my replacement Clearview windshield showed up. Here's the story on the windshield:

I have had a Clearview on the bike since I bought the bike new. The Quick Detach Harley windshield set up works very well to keep the windshield in place when subjected to 100 mph+ wind; when it is blowing in the direction of headlight to taillight. On the other hand, it is not worth a damn if the wind is blowing taillight to headlight...... >:(

Recently I had the bike parked in an open parking lot. Forensic reconstruction of the scene revealed:
A heavy wind gust blew through (in the direction of tail light to head light)  >:( This wind blew the windshield off the bike and into the pathway of other vehicles moving through the parking lot. It appears that one or more vehicles had a case of the ass towards the Clearview Windshield....it was ugly. The good news is, the hardware was salvaged.

I installed the WindshieldShacle tonight and don't expect to go through the hassle of unexpectidly replacing my windshield during the riding season ever again.

I also got one of the plastic doo-hickies to carry the tool in a safe place. It has two holes, one for the included Torx Security tool and another for a torx security bit. I carved a groove in the hole intended for the bit. My key for the harley locks that secure the passenger backrest & luggage rack, now reside in that second position.
2007 FLHRSE3 with D&D Fatcats, SERT, AK-40 & Bitubo 330 mm, Glide-Pro, Clearview windscreen

Brukus

• The Big Brukus
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2011, 07:17:35 PM »

FYI - We hear from owners all the time who lose their bags either by theft or "fly-offs". We actually made a video recently to show just how easily the locked bags are stolen. We've been attacked for showing the thieves how to do this, but NEWS FLASH - the thieves already know! But this also secures the bags against the twist pins breaking or coming loose! Plus we've been told our product removes rattles... : )

We have kept our price at $24.95 even with rising component prices. AND you can save 10% of that with the forum discount.

Here's the video:
Navy Vet

Brukus

• The Big Brukus
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2011, 05:10:29 PM »

Something to consider for your CVO is a KickShoe to stabilize it when parked on soft or uneven ground. This attached kickstand coaster does away with the need to fumble around with a coaster or puck or beer can. We've had great reviews on this product as one of the most frustrating thing for Harley owners is trying to park their bike on sand, grass, dirt or gravel without coming back to it having fallen over. We have 2 models of KickShoes - for Touring Bikes 2007 and Newer and for Touring Bikes 2006 and older. You can check both models out here: KickShoes for Harley Touring Bikes http://bit.ly/qpSesr
Navy Vet

Gatornapper

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2011, 08:04:14 PM »

Jenni's customer service is 4 star

Is this the Jenni that was at Charley's HD in West Virginia?  They had 20% off always, and SUPER service.  I thought she told me
she was going to Danville, VA.   or is she now at Hale's in Mansfield, OH?  They too have always had 20% off on parts.....

'09 CVO 'Screamin' Eagle' FLTRSE3 w/Rinehart slip-ons, WindSplitter shield
'97 FXDWG, Stage II, fully tricked-out, faster than my CVO

Patriot Guard Rider/Member For origin of "gatornapper", refer to July '65 Kosciusco County, Ind. court records, Walter Cronkite, Huntley/Brinkley evening news, & Indianapolis Star paper.

Gatornapper

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2011, 08:25:52 PM »

FYI - We hear from owners all the time who lose their bags either by theft or "fly-offs". We actually made a video recently to show just how easily the locked bags are stolen. We've been attacked for showing the thieves how to do this, but NEWS FLASH - the thieves already know! But this also secures the bags against the twist pins breaking or coming loose! Plus we've been told our product removes rattles... : )

We have kept our price at $24.95 even with rising component prices. AND you can save 10% of that with the forum discount.

Here's the video:

Hey, Brukus - ready to order - how do I get my forum discount??????

And for everyone who has yet to order their SaddleSecure hardware, you can use a tie-wrap on the front bracket to keep your bags from falling off - left goes into strap slot and rt. side of front bag bracket;  right goes through bag bracket, back around the black bike mount so it catches the "L" part and holds tight - takes 2 medium/1 long tie wrap.........won't stop a thief, but should keep them from falling off.

THANKS!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 09:10:53 PM by Gatornapper »

Patriot Guard Rider/Member For origin of "gatornapper", refer to July '65 Kosciusco County, Ind. court records, Walter Cronkite, Huntley/Brinkley evening news, & Indianapolis Star paper.

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2011, 09:41:22 PM »

And for everyone who has yet to order their SaddleSecure hardware, you can use a tie-wrap on the front bracket to keep your bags from falling off - left goes into strap slot and rt. side of front bag bracket;  right goes through bag bracket, back around the black bike mount so it catches the "L" part and holds tight - takes 2 medium/1 long tie wrap.........won't stop a thief, but should keep them from falling off.

THANKS!
Would you have a pic on this?  :confused5:
Hawg

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2011, 11:33:59 PM »

Here is the bike now. Very happy with it

Scotty in Seattle

Where did you get the center stand from?  I like it  :2vrolijk_21:
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

Brukus

• The Big Brukus
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2011, 08:27:19 AM »

Would you have a pic on this?  :confused5:

THANKS!

I'm not sure why the Forum Discount link isn't in our signature - but here's the link: http://brukus.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product-category.cgi?d=brukus-motorcycle-parts&pc=11130
Navy Vet

Gatornapper

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2011, 09:30:31 AM »

I'm not sure why the Forum Discount link isn't in our signature - but here's the link: http://brukus.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product-category.cgi?d=brukus-motorcycle-parts&pc=11130

Thanks, Brukus - wanted to get the KickShoe too.....but it isn't on the discounted list on this link....???????

Brukus

• The Big Brukus
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2011, 09:36:52 AM »

Thanks, Brukus - wanted to get the KickShoe too.....but it isn't on the discounted list on this link....???????

That's because it's still at the discounted price since we launched it, along with the SeatSecure. When we move products to full retail, we put them on the forum discount. So right now everyone is buying it at a discount.
Navy Vet

Gatornapper

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2011, 09:51:19 AM »

Where did you get the center stand from?  I like it  :2vrolijk_21:

I LOVE it!  Get it lots of places, here's J&P:

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/702-431?utm_source=googleproducts&utm_medium=cse

REAL easy to get on stand because it keeps some weight on tires, simply put in gear, feet on floorboards, drive off.

Couple points though:   NEVER use it on anything but hard, FLAT, LEVEL surfaces.  Once I laid bike on left side because pavement wasn't level
I was holding it to right, stand forced it left toward slope and momentum took it over...no damage thankfully.  You need to kick it in place very slowly.

You need to know which one to get.  My SERG is lowered, so it takes a different one from the touring models that are not lowered.

Also great for oil changes, washing, lots of other stuff........

Gatornapper

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2011, 10:01:04 AM »

That's because it's still at the discounted price since we launched it, along with the SeatSecure. When we move products to full retail, we put them on the forum discount. So right now everyone is buying it at a discount.

Thanks, Brukus - order in for both.  Saw that note on the page AFTER I asked the question.  Some of us are not the sharpest tool
in the shed.....  ;)

Gatornapper

• Junior CVO Member
Tie Wraps to secure bags from falling off......temp fix.....
« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2011, 10:03:08 AM »

Would you have a pic on this?  :confused5:

Hawg - Ok, here are the pics......the tie wraps wrap around the latch member on the bag and attach it to the bracket that holds
the pins.....

Left bag:

Right bag:

The right bag tie wrap has to be tight in order to catch the lower corner of the bracket, otherwise it can slip off.  If my Brukus
Secure's weren't on the way, I'd drill a hole in the bracket and run the tie wrap through it.   Won't stop a thief, but will keep
your bags from falling off......
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 04:08:30 PM by Gatornapper »

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2011, 10:11:45 PM »

Thanks Gatornapper, will get this ordered.

Mark
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

Re: Tie Wraps to secure bags from falling off......temp fix.....
« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2011, 11:10:44 PM »

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 08:15:01 AM by Hawg »
Hawg

Gatornapper

• Junior CVO Member
KUDOS to Brukus!
« Reply #96 on: August 06, 2011, 06:27:49 PM »

Secure's and Kickshoe - ordered Thursday, shipped Friday, delivered Saturday!!!!

Don't get no better than that!

Brukus

• The Big Brukus
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2011, 12:12:43 PM »

We put our guarantee where our mouth is! Never worry again about losing your Harley Saddlebags due to THEFT or Fly-offs! Try our SaddlebagSecure for 30 days and if you are not completely satisfied, we will refund your money! SaddlebagSecure COSTS LESS than replacing the Harley quick release system! Plus, as a member on CVO, you can receive 10% discount!
http://brukus.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product.cgi?d=brukus-motorcycle-parts&item=35502

Navy Vet

Brukus

• The Big Brukus
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #98 on: October 14, 2011, 09:49:51 PM »

Wanted to add these new Pictures of the KickShoe in the "Stowed" position from bikes we put the KickShoe on at the SC State HOG Rally. AND the KickShoe® is now on the Brukus discount page!

Navy Vet

McBolt

• Grandson, first time on a bike. Yea he is hooked
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2011, 03:25:35 PM »

I have an 06 Ultra.  I purchased those add on rails that wrap around the bags.  Mainly was just to make the bike look a little different to other SE's.  My right bag is full of tools, parts and so on.  Heading up to Idaho from CA, I noticed my right bag had come loose from the support pins, the add on rails kept the bag from bouncing down the highway.  Only damage was about a 1/2 inch abrassion mark on the front of the bag from vibrating against the rail.
Motorcyclist Rights Activist
Navy Photographer Vietnam ERA
American Legion Rider

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #100 on: November 01, 2011, 03:22:12 PM »

Dang...all this talk about bags flying off bikes on the highway sent me to Brukus!  Order has been placed. 

The bottom line:  Run the risk of a bag falling off  :oops: and spending up to $1600 to replace,  :nixweiss: or spend $35 now and not worry about it.  No brainer as far as I'm concerned.   :2vrolijk_21:
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Brukus

• The Big Brukus
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2011, 10:57:14 AM »

Dang...all this talk about bags flying off bikes on the highway sent me to Brukus!  Order has been placed. 

The bottom line:  Run the risk of a bag falling off  :oops: and spending up to $1600 to replace,  :nixweiss: or spend $35 now and not worry about it.  No brainer as far as I'm concerned.   :2vrolijk_21:

Hope you received your product and it was installed ok!
Don't forget, we have a forum discount and offer several other products for CVOHarley owners. Most make great stocking stuffers! http://brukus.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product-category.cgi?d=brukus-motorcycle-parts&pc=11130
Navy Vet

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2011, 03:49:29 PM »

Hey Brukus:

Yes, they arrived and were installed this past weekend.  Easy to do and now the bags are more secure.  I'll be in touch about the other issue with the mounting brackets to the bike.  I'd like to order the security bolts.  Even though harder to reach on the SEUC, they still can be removed with an ordanary tool.  That bugs me a bit and need to correct it. 

Thanks for helping us protect our stuff!

Thanks,
Ken

Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Brukus

• The Big Brukus
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2011, 04:47:43 PM »

Hey Brukus:

Yes, they arrived and were installed this past weekend.  Easy to do and now the bags are more secure.  I'll be in touch about the other issue with the mounting brackets to the bike.  I'd like to order the security bolts.  Even though harder to reach on the SEUC, they still can be removed with an ordanary tool.  That bugs me a bit and need to correct it. 

Thanks for helping us protect our stuff!

Thanks,
Ken

Sounds good. Glad you got them!
Navy Vet

Brukus

• The Big Brukus
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2011, 08:42:07 PM »

Just letting you know that we have extended our free shipping for a limited time!

And don't forget our newest product - the TourPack BULLET Secure for Tour-Paks, Sissy Bars and Luggage racks. Works on the inside and outside cams on the 4-Point Docking System.

PLUS, our KickShoe was pictured in DealerNews.com as Product of the day!
Navy Vet

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2011, 08:47:24 PM »

Got the sabble bag secure bolts and installed them today-love them.  My wife and one our our riding buddies are getting a set from Santa for their stockings  :2vrolijk_21:
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

cptdenny

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2011, 09:14:12 PM »

I have the Saddle Bag Secure, Seat Secure, and my latest, the Kick Shoe.  All great products from a great American company.
2015 FLTRUSE

Brukus

• The Big Brukus
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2011, 10:43:17 PM »

Thanks for the good word, Guys! We still have the free domestic shipping special going on and reduced shipping for our Canadian and international friends!
Navy Vet

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2011, 11:11:42 PM »

Thanks for the good word, Guys! We still have the free domestic shipping special going on and reduced shipping for our Canadian and international friends!

I dropped off the brochure that came with my shipment at my local HD dealer and asked that they look into your products.  Maybe if you mail us some extra brochures we could place them at those HD service desks as they become more aware of what Brukus has to offer.  Keep up the great work  :2vrolijk_21:
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2012, 12:21:13 PM »

Just wanted to share several links where our products have recently made the news. Great way to see what others are saying. Also, we will be represented at the Indianapolis American V-Twin Dealer Expo if any of you are heading there. Booth 5901.

KickShoe®:
American Motorcycle Dealer February Issue - Page 37

KickShoe®, WingShields™ and SaddlebagSecure®:
TouringBikers.com Forum

Brukus Motorcycle Parts and Real Women and Motorcycles Ezine:
DealerNews.com

And if you pick up a copy of Thunder Press - you'll see a fun review of our KickShoe® on page 55, under the heading "Surefooted".

Readily admit just one guy's opinion here.  Saw this same post within your own "vendor" thread though.  Within the group's conversations the last thing I want to start seeing is commercials.  There is a thread and a vendor section to directly pitch your products.  Doing the deed there seems appropriate and would be appreciated.  Otherwise it's a slippey slope very much downhill toward really unwanted commercialization in a format where the fast forward button on the DVR just won't help.

Brukus

• The Big Brukus
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2012, 12:32:05 PM »

Readily admit just one guy's opinion here.  Saw this same post within your own "vendor" thread though.  Within the group's conversations the last thing I want to start seeing is commercials.  There is a thread and a vendor section to directly pitch your products.  Doing the deed there seems appropriate and would be appreciated.  Otherwise it's a slippey slope very much downhill toward really unwanted commercialization in a format where the fast forward button on the DVR just won't help.
No problem! Wasn't sure who all saw what. Will delete this post if I can.
Navy Vet

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2012, 12:34:51 PM »

No problem! Wasn't sure who all saw what. Will delete this post if I can.

Thanks and, at least to me, very much appreciated.  I'd personally not worry about tracking down a bunch of old posts for deletion.   Just keeping the idea in mind looking forward is great :2vrolijk_21: .

devildawg_57

« Reply #112 on: July 22, 2013, 07:30:05 PM »

I had my left saddlebag come loose this past Saturday. I was travel in an construction area and the road was rough. I heard a loud noise thinking I blew a rear tire. The bag was dragging on the road with the electric lock wiring. It broke and the bag ended up on the side of the road. I look at the pins laying in the bottom of the bag and did not see any damage. I attached the bags and rode to Harley. The last time the bags were removed was 300 miles ago to replace the rear tire. The service guy told me it was highly unlikely that the bag would have stayed on for 300 miles without being latch. They agree to split the cost 50 50. I agree because there is no way to prove Harley did not attach the bad correctly.  I'm sick about this. Plus it will take about 8 to weeks to get another bag due to CVO.

cvolovermi

« Reply #113 on: July 22, 2013, 09:13:10 PM »

On our trip to Los Angeles last month my buddy lost a saddlebag in the canyons of New Mexico.  It was night time and he was way ahead of us, or we would probably have seen it come off.
He lost a couple of new leathers in the process.

Brukus

• The Big Brukus
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #114 on: July 22, 2013, 09:19:19 PM »

Had a customer who called and ordered our SaddlebagSecure after his bag flew off on the road and hit another bike causing him to wreck.
Navy Vet

braymond52

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road Glide Atomic Orange
« Reply #115 on: July 23, 2013, 04:13:03 PM »

I bought a set of the Brukus Saddle Bag locking pins.  I think they were about $25, and well woth it IMO.  My motivation was to keep anyone from stealing my bags, but they'll also prevent this from happening too.

- Bruce

mrbhd

• Junior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2008 Flhtcuse3
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #116 on: July 23, 2013, 04:53:56 PM »

I have run Brukus saddlebag secure on 3 different bikes.  Great Company and great product!!!

Brukus

• The Big Brukus
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #117 on: July 23, 2013, 05:05:04 PM »

I bought a set of the Brukus Saddle Bag locking pins.  I think they were about $25, and well woth it IMO.  My motivation was to keep anyone from stealing my bags, but they'll also prevent this from happening too.

- Bruce

I have run Brukus saddlebag secure on 3 different bikes.  Great Company and great product!!!

Thanks for the good word! We really appreciate it!

Wanted to let anyone know that Brukus is offering Free Shipping in the U.S. and Reduced Shipping to Canada so you can secure your bike for your summer riding.

And here's the CVOHarley discount link for our products: http://brukus.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product-category.cgi?d=brukus-motorcycle-parts&pc=11130

Ride Secure!
Navy Vet

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2013, 01:52:57 AM »

I have Easy Brackets on my Bike. When bags are off there are only two groves studs about 3/4" long and Bout 3/4" diameter that are bolted to the fender struts. The bags with the brackets stick out wider than I like but the bag has to clear the shocks. Just got to remember to lock the bags down with key and lock provided when going on bumpy roads. Picked bag up off hwy after skidding at 65. It tore up the bag but the brackets are fine.
Ltank

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2013, 10:33:02 AM »

Brukus is A-1 in my book. 
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2013, 11:52:38 AM »

Has anyone else ever dropped a bag while riding?

Anyone have to replace a SERG bag complete?  I'm going to the dealer today to get a price quote, but I can only guess it's going to be a couple thousand bucks with a complete read to bolt on bag with O/B CVO paint.

Yes on my nice new 2013 on it's second trip out of the driveway! ouch

Dealer said I must of not had it latched correctly... really? I've been on a touring bike longer than most in the dealership have been riding...

With the wiring harness in the bag it dragged the bag behind the bike like it was on a leash.

Insurance bought me a new bag and lid. I kept the old stuff and came close to covering my deductible by selling it.

I now use the Brukus bolts, a pain in the butt if you wan to quickly take the bag off but they sure are secure and in the end that is what I'm after.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 11:57:37 AM by Puzzled »
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #121 on: July 24, 2013, 12:49:03 PM »

Dan_Lockwood, I have read a few posts about lost saddlebags. Mine seem to fit really tight, but just for peace of mind I put 4 zip ties thru the latchs on both sides and attach them to the bike. If I need to take them off for any reason I have the tools to do it and I also carry extra zip ties in case I get a flat and the saddle bags have to come off.CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2013, 04:51:56 PM »

It may have been mentioned in previous posts. What I have done with the 2010 Geezerglide (2010 CVO Ultra) and I know a lot don't consider it cool, however I have yet to ever lose a Saddlebag, is to mount the saddlebag Guards. If any of the saddlebag mounting hardware were ever to come loose, the saddlebags just sit in the guards, worse think that may happen is you may scratch one.

geezerglide

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #123 on: July 24, 2013, 05:22:05 PM »

I've not yet done anything to improve the attachment of the bags.  I do however check them before I ride just to make sure they are clicked over center.

When my bag came off the quarter turn pins still looked good.  Bolting them on is the only way to keep them on; wheter you use the Brukus anti-tamper bolts or just plain bolts.

I'll get around to it some day I suspect... Probably after I lose another bag..........
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #124 on: July 24, 2013, 05:30:44 PM »

I'll get around to it some day I suspect... Probably after I lose another bag..........

LOL I did mine AFTER I lost a bag....  :'(
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #125 on: July 24, 2013, 07:49:18 PM »

After reading this string I just ordered a set of the bolts, really sad that the MOCO doesn't fix a simple thing like this. Nice to get the discount on the bolts too!

trwtow

• Elite CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 19 roadglide mako shark
« Reply #126 on: July 25, 2013, 01:45:42 PM »

It may have been mentioned in previous posts. What I have done with the 2010 Geezerglide (2010 CVO Ultra) and I know a lot don't consider it cool, however I have yet to ever lose a Saddlebag, is to mount the saddlebag Guards. If any of the saddlebag mounting hardware were ever to come loose, the saddlebags just sit in the guards, worse think that may happen is you may scratch one.

geezerglide

not always my friend had one fly off his older non cvo ultra I seen it first hand it lifted straight up as if a higher power was lifting it from the heavens and proceeded to smash into an oncoming car what was ironic is it was the only car we had passed in miles
I ordered bolts that nite
04 cvo duece blue sold
06 electaglide classic sold
10 sesg concorde sold
12 sesg ruby sold
17 sesg orange sold
19 cvo roadglide mako
and washboy for wifes softail deluxe

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide
« Reply #127 on: July 29, 2013, 03:16:16 AM »

Dan_Lockwood, I have read a few posts about lost saddlebags. Mine seem to fit really tight, but just for peace of mind I put 4 zip ties thru the latchs on both sides and attach them to the bike. If I need to take them off for any reason I have the tools to do it and I also carry extra zip ties in case I get a flat and the saddle bags have to come off.CAHDBIKER

This sounds like a great idea, I am going to give this a try - Thanx
FuelMotos exhaust and tuning, Ohlins Front/Rear

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member

Anyone lose a saddle bag while riding?
« Reply #128 on: October 09, 2013, 09:56:36 PM »

Losing the bags because they fall off is only part of the problem. Theft is the other. The stock bolts are easy to defeat and remove. Some real horror story's out there about whole groups getting bags ripped off while eating in a restaurant. Sucks!
The Brukus bolts were one of the first mods I did to my bike.
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9 [All]

Page created in 0.71 seconds with 24 queries.