Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Anyone lose a saddle bag while riding?  (Read 41833 times)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: Anyone lose a saddle bag while riding?
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2011, 06:38:35 AM »

Have to ask, are these fasners just not your typical automotive slide on clip with special screw heads to avoid tampering?

That's what they are....but they are nice and stainless.....

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2011, 01:09:14 PM »

That's what they are....but they are nice and stainless.....

My only question about this type of fastener is that we're only tightening them into the rubber grommet on the side of the saddlebag.  With the rubber between the J nut and the head of the bolt and washer, how can you torque the bolt down to know it's not going to loosen up?

So for the guys that have these kits installed, how often do you take out the Torx wrench and double check the bolt that it's still tight?

I still think some type of pin or non threaded attachment would be more dependable and would not have to be tweaked every time you ride.

Just a thought.  And yes, I'm still the guy that lost his left saddlebag and started this thread.

For now, I just check my 1/4 turn pins every time I ride.  I will give this some thought soon to see what I can come up with.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive.  I hope it has saved someone from losing their saddlebags.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2011, 01:25:28 PM »

Dan, those spring-clips have some kind of tensioner/keeper ends on them that the bolt screws into.....I'm not familiar with this but appears to act like a nyloc nut to keep it from backing off.  But, I may be overly paranoid so I just hedged my bet and put one on ea. bag.  Less to have to take off ea. time also.  Only time will tell on this deal.  ??? har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2011, 01:46:59 PM »

Dan, those spring-clips have some kind of tensioner/keeper ends on them that the bolt screws into.....I'm not familiar with this but appears to act like a nyloc nut to keep it from backing off.  But, I may be overly paranoid so I just hedged my bet and put one on ea. bag.  Less to have to take off ea. time also.  Only time will tell on this deal.  ??? har.  spyder

I only used one on each also. But I would think using the big washer on the inside and tightening down on the rubber grommet is only going to go so far and that's it, so it should stay tight once the rubber has been squeezed as far as it will go. I've done a few hundred miles with them on and they have not loosened up yet.

Southern Rider

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2010-FLHTCUSE5c

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2010 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2011, 02:10:30 PM »

I've not had any problems with the pins but the front bracket that the pin goes into did fall off the bike while riding the Dragon.  Ashamed to say, I had to use a screw off a Goldwing to hold it on till I could get a replacement bolt.  Not many options up in the mountains.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2011, 05:13:01 PM »

I've not had any problems with the pins but the front bracket that the pin goes into did fall off the bike while riding the Dragon.  Ashamed to say, I had to use a screw off a Goldwing to hold it on till I could get a replacement bolt.  Not many options up in the mountains.
Just wondering  :-\  from where on the Goldwing you removed the screw & did you 'fess-up' to the Wing rider?  :nixweiss:   har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2011, 07:04:07 PM »

If so, they sure match-up very well to the parts to be affixed & they are high quality fasteners.   spyder

looking at the picture it appears thats a torx bit for the fastener.

What does the clip look like that fastens to the bracket?

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Southern Rider

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2010-FLHTCUSE5c

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2010 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2011, 07:44:00 AM »

Just wondering  :-\  from where on the Goldwing you removed the screw & did you 'fess-up' to the Wing rider?  :nixweiss:   har.  spyder

Well the Wing rider had dropped his bike that morning on a pull off with lots of gravel and broke his foot peg off.  I did have to listen the rest of the trip about my Harley having Honda parts on it.  THE SHAME OF IT!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2011, 09:46:08 AM »

Well the Wing rider had dropped his bike that morning on a pull off with lots of gravel and broke his foot peg off.  I did have to listen the rest of the trip about my Harley having Honda parts on it.  THE SHAME OF IT!
That's great.......a 'donor Honda'.  ;D har.  spyder

rganz

• Senior CVO Member
  • Do Unto Others----First

• CVO1: 09 SERG
    • CVO2: Fat Boy
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2011, 10:14:47 AM »

My only question about this type of fastener is that we're only tightening them into the rubber grommet on the side of the saddlebag.  With the rubber between the J nut and the head of the bolt and washer, how can you torque the bolt down to know it's not going to loosen up?

So for the guys that have these kits installed, how often do you take out the Torx wrench and double check the bolt that it's still tight?

I still think some type of pin or non threaded attachment would be more dependable and would not have to be tweaked every time you ride.

Just a thought.  And yes, I'm still the guy that lost his left saddlebag and started this thread.

For now, I just check my 1/4 turn pins every time I ride.  I will give this some thought soon to see what I can come up with.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive.  I hope it has saved someone from losing their saddlebags.
Dan
I ended up putting a spot of blue threadlocker on them when I installed them, because I had the same thoughts. Seems fine.

Rob
Rob

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2011, 01:21:14 AM »

I did lose one while riding on my '08 FLHX...

However, it had some help getting off...

The pins and clips held up just fine:

This bracket got a little tweaked...

The rest of the carnage below

By looking at the pics you may be able to determine this wasnt by my doing....  :confused5:

Riding with a few crazy friends, we were moving at a pretty good clip on the freeway when we suddenly ran out of room... everyone slowed up.. except the guy behind me.... he was still on the throttle (not a good thing)

The next few moments were surreal... I looked in the mirror and saw his face with a terrified look just as I got back into the throttle just as his front tire impacted the right saddlebag. I felt the impact and thought for sure this was gonna be an ugly end to a Sunday ride, but somehow, I managed to stay upright...

I recall me on the throttle, with the rear of my bike now sliding to the right, then to the left and back the other way until it straightened out.... I watched the saddlebag pass me, in the air... in slow motion, until it hit the ground and started the barrel roll with all my stuff flying out of the holes in it....

Next I heard his bike land on its left side, HARD, with the screech and grind like nails on a chalkboard. He rolled left, into the path of traffic as I heard lots of screeching and skidding as I see him tumbling in my left mirror. The bike slid for 350-400 feet before it stopped..... I rode behind it to keep cars from running it over,  then stood it up and pushed it to the shoulder... the rear of the group had slowed and gotten my friend off the road safely and we had an EMT with us, so he tended to my buddy.

As I walked through the debris field and was picking up stuff, I saw red plastic... then I turned around and realized that somehow he managed to take out the taillight as a result of the impact.

He was wearing a 1/2 helmet, smacked that on the road surface, bruised his cheek, and had road rash on BOTH of his arms from wrist to shoulder. No concussion, just bruised ego. He refused the ambulance ride and had his son pick him up and take him to emergency.

We rode my bike to the dealership and borrowed the shop truck and trailer to get my buddy's bike... didnt look too bad, but the fall on the primary side drove the primary cover into the clutch basket so it wasnt going anywhere.

It was a long day for a short ride... at least lunch was good. :drink:

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Widows Son

• No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child - Shriners of America
  • Full CVO Member
  • narasimhalu.smugmug.com

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
    • Sanjay Narasimhalu Photography
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2011, 06:41:53 PM »

Finally got my Brukus saddle bag locks and also the seat lock. Install was easy and they are very secure.

2 things now that i'm on their mailing list 1) they do have the chrome cap for the seat bolt/lock whihc I read somewhere elese on this forum someone was wondering if the had and 2) They sent me a video on how easy it is to take a set of your bags.

Wild 1 Chubby WO575
C&C seat
Dynojet Power Vision
Jackpot 2-1-2 header
V&H Hi-Output
J&M 250W amp + 7.25" Speakers
Chrome Agitators
Harley Goodies floorboard extensions
Wheeldock EZ-up centerstand
Klock Werks 8.5"
Boogey Lights - 126 LEDs
3M Armor
Kury LED Headlight
Brukus saddlebag & seat hardware
Gizmos: GoPro HD, SPOT

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2011, 09:46:40 PM »

Finally got my Brukus saddle bag locks and also the seat lock. Install was easy and they are very secure.

2 things now that i'm on their mailing list 1) they do have the chrome cap for the seat bolt/lock whihc I read somewhere elese on this forum someone was wondering if the had and 2) They sent me a video on how easy it is to take a set of your bags.

X2

Brukus

• The Big Brukus
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • Brukus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2011, 12:23:43 PM »

You don't over-tighten and I've had them on my bags for 2-3 years now with no loosening. I honestly never give it a second thought. However, you are welcome to use Loctite Blue if you need that additional assurance.
The Big Brukus   ~   Big + Ruckus = Brukus
Navy Vet

Brukus

• The Big Brukus
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • Brukus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2011, 12:34:06 PM »

DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER! I

SaddlebagSecure was our first product and this video shows why. When I made up the SaddlebagSecure kits, I knew the bags could be stolen fairly easily, which is why I made the product up for my bike. However, I had no idea just how easily until a couple of weeks ago when I decided to make up a video to show at an expo we were going to.

My first try was with a screw driver. It took me about 30 seconds to get one pin loose on my first try. I realized that if I just used the long-nose pliers, it would be even easier. We have testimony from police that a thief can have both bags off in 30 seconds. Obviously from the video - that would be working alone. I've revised the video a little from the one listed above, so here's the new one. Please don't shoot the messenger! And don't worry about a thief seeing this - they already know!

We appreciate your business and are continuing to develop quality products at the best prices we can to help you secure your bike. Securing your biking lifestyle - enabling you to go where you want and leave your bike where you want without worrying about it - is our goal.
The Big Brukus   ~   Big + Ruckus = Brukus
Navy Vet
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 24 queries.