Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2017 Street Glide CVO Nightmare  (Read 3564 times)

Captamerica

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

2017 Street Glide CVO Nightmare
« on: June 05, 2021, 11:38:33 AM »

Having owned numerous HD over the years and never having any issues I decided to buy a 2017 CVO street glide in June of 2020 which was loaded with lots of goodies along with the stage 3 117 upgrade - 5 year screaming Eagle ESP coverage  - 2 months into owning this motorcycle it goes to the local HD dealership for 2 1/2 months due to slumping issues - applicable TSB and a known engine problem -get the bike back mid late October and enjoy a few hundred miles of care free riding before the winter storage  - 2021 comes and about 500 miles into the new riding season engine failure once again and back to the dealer it goes - 1 month and counting - 2 years back to back I can’t take it to Laconia bike week - beyond aggravated and frustrated and HD corporate is useless in helping with dealer issues - am I alone with this issue - one off problem or are others out there experiencing similar problems with the 2017 CVO

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: 2017 Street Glide CVO Nightmare
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 11:56:20 AM »

You've got multiple issues (sorry for stating the obvious).  It may start with a little unfamiliarity of your own though. 

"Screamin' Eagle" ESP is not a thing.  The extended service plans are a private and separate contracting entity.  It may be a CVO "Screamin" Eagle" bike but the service contract is a separate item. 

And... 2 1/2 months at the dealership?  Was this due to supply issues (not impossible during the last 18 months)?  Or was the dealer really so incompetent that they took that long to fix a bike?  Or are you even sure why it took that long?

And, finally, if the dealer was so problematic to work with the first taking longer than it would take to build a bike from the frame up (only working on weekends) why did you go back to the same shop?  Once bitten twice shy....  Are they the only geographically easy option?  Is there more to the issue?

You don't say what's going on this time or, with any detail, what was going on last time so it's hard to have any significant insights.  If, however, you've had several Twin Cam bikes over the years and this is the only one that's given you issues you may be better off than you expect.  Issues have been common.  Hopefully your ESP is saving you the burden of significant expense but the time you're losing and what that suggest about the diligence and/or skill of the dealership doesn't leave on with warm and fuzzy feelings.

BigLock

• Elite CVO Member
  • CVO1 2012
    • NC

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 07:50:02 PM »

Harley ESP plan does  have a screaming eagle plan that is 100.00 add on to the plan. It covers SE parts like the stage upgrade. That you added on.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2021, 11:40:11 PM »

Harley ESP plan does  have a screaming eagle plan that is 100.00 add on to the plan. It covers SE parts like the stage upgrade. That you added on.

Once again I learned something.  Hadn't heard this one before.  So it's an add-on coverage to the add-on coverage?  Is this to cover any SE branded parts added at any time or SE branded packages installed at time of bike purchase?

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 06:21:15 AM »

Sorry to hear about your bike problems. The early 2017 M8 motors had some issues. I rode a late 2017 cvo limited for 4 years and 30k miles with zero issues.
Having owned numerous HD over the years and never having any issues I decided to buy a 2017 CVO street glide in June of 2020 which was loaded with lots of goodies along with the stage 3 117 upgrade - 5 year screaming Eagle ESP coverage  - 2 months into owning this motorcycle it goes to the local HD dealership for 2 1/2 months due to slumping issues - applicable TSB and a known engine problem -get the bike back mid late October and enjoy a few hundred miles of care free riding before the winter storage  - 2021 comes and about 500 miles into the new riding season engine failure once again and back to the dealer it goes - 1 month and counting - 2 years back to back I can’t take it to Laconia bike week - beyond aggravated and frustrated and HD corporate is useless in helping with dealer issues - am I alone with this issue - one off problem or are others out there experiencing similar problems with the 2017 CVO
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

BigLock

• Elite CVO Member
  • CVO1 2012
    • NC

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 07:47:20 AM »

It covers all SE parts from what I understand. Not just the kits

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 05:32:19 PM »

Yup. When I went to renew mine there is an extra $100 CVO Tax on it as I called it.

sent using Tapatalk

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 12:29:14 AM »

I have the Screamin Eagle add on and blew my 131 which they covered 100% which was awesome!
Alan

acevtwin

• 1K CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2000 SERG Orange/White/Black sold
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Orange / Black Sold
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO FLSTSE Convertible Orange/Black CVO4: 2017 FLHXSE Orange/Black CVO5: 2022 FLTRXSE Orange/Black CVO6: 2010 FLSTSE Orange / Black (Yes, a second one)
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 08:36:10 AM »

Sorry to hear about all the trouble you are having.
I have an early 2017 CVO Streetglide (Sept of '16)  and haven't had any trouble at all.

benmay94

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2021, 10:45:38 AM »

I previously owned a 2019 RGS that had the 117 Stage 3 kit installed - and it stayed in the dealership for a few months for warranty work just like you described.  It did sump as well (that was actually the second issue/stint at the dealership), the first once was somehow the cam bearing "disintegrated" and caused everything to go nuts...essentially needed a new engine.  And then (as noted) about a week later after I got it back it sumped...

Got rid of that bike, and I'm a firm believer something is up with the 117 stage 3 kits....

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2021, 04:32:50 PM »

Once again I learned something.  Hadn't heard this one before.  So it's an add-on coverage to the add-on coverage?  Is this to cover any SE branded parts added at any time or SE branded packages installed at time of bike purchase?

The contract comes in a chrome binder...sorry...I couldn't resist  :huepfenlol2:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2021, 07:26:09 PM »

The contract comes in a chrome binder...sorry...I couldn't resist  :huepfenlol2:

And it's hinges have to replaced every 10k page cycles and they squeak a lot; because.... well, they all do that :nixweiss: ?

kalikali

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2021, 09:49:09 PM »

You've got multiple issues (sorry for stating the obvious).  It may start with a little unfamiliarity of your own though. 

"Screamin' Eagle" ESP is not a thing.  The extended service plans are a private and separate contracting entity.  It may be a CVO "Screamin" Eagle" bike but the service contract is a separate item. 

And... 2 1/2 months at the dealership?  Was this due to supply issues (not impossible during the last 18 months)?  Or was the dealer really so incompetent that they took that long to fix a bike?  Or are you even sure why it took that long?

And, finally, if the dealer was so problematic to work with the first taking longer than it would take to build a bike from the frame up (only working on weekends) why did you go back to the same shop?  Once bitten twice shy....  Are they the only geographically easy option?  Is there more to the issue?

You don't say what's going on this time or, with any detail, what was going on last time so it's hard to have any significant insights.  If, however, you've had several Twin Cam bikes over the years and this is the only one that's given you issues you may be better off than you expect.  Issues have been common.  Hopefully your ESP is saving you the burden of significant expense but the time you're losing and what that suggest about the diligence and/or skill of the dealership doesn't leave on with warm and fuzzy feelings.

Was this a new or used bike. Did someone trade it in or a NEW bike the dealership tricked out to sell that sat for 3 years?

Captamerica

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2021, 08:07:19 AM »

This was purchased used at an HD dealership - impeccable maintenance records and the original owner traded the bike in for a new one which I was told he does every two or three years - I’ve been riding all of my life and ALWAYS on an HD - this experience has been a huge disappointment and to be honest I’m tremendously disappointed in HD customer relations who have listened to me but have NOT been helpful whatsoever with the product issues I’m having along with the issues at the previous dealership where parts were not put back after the slumping repair along with the scratches on the rear fender when installing my seat

rondolg

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2021, 08:34:52 AM »

I took my 2017 CVO limited in for sumping concerns a couple weeks ago.  After tech tore into motor and found multiple issues, ESP has agreed to a new motor.  This was a new to me CVO I bought last Aug., put about 12k miles on it since bought.  Good luck with your bike.

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 25 queries.