Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Can't believe it  (Read 5391 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Can't believe it
« on: November 25, 2015, 06:39:39 AM »

Well to start, some of you knew of the wobble prob, I have had in the wheel and tire column.  Well that has been sorted out. At lease I thought it had I have been riding along Farley  good !at lease I thought so.  I'm not a heavy rider on the throttle ,...but I was on a 4 lane carriageway just taking my time 65/70. Then the carriageway went down to two lanes, I had moved over into the out side lane There was a left hand gradual bend coming up " at this time I'm doing 80" all is good. As I leaned into the bend  ALL HELL BROKE LOSS Dam near lost it. I started to wobble at a 80mph bend,..(glad I took the evasivemaneuver course) any way my problems back ,...at less it is on the bends

So I got back too my garage put the bike up on my stands so the rear wheel was of the floor to see what I could see if anything, I checked the Tyre press that was good
Now hear comes the cruncher,...as I was turning the wheel I read on the side wall (left hand side witch can't bee seen when it's on the jiffy stand) It reads the Tyre max load 760 lb  :o   WHAT 760 WAX

My Ultra is 930 stock I'm 210 = 1110 lb and that's solo. That puts it 380 lb over Tyre max load I can't believe no one in these shops I have gone to had not picked up on it.

I'm not a pro on tares but that set off some bells. Would I be in the ball park to say,...That the sidewall of the tyre could fold on bends these causing a wobble.?
Now I have to contact the tyre shop and see what going to be done about it. They installed the wrong tyre!!! Would I be right in doing so
Dose this make sense to you more knowledgeable guys I 'm just going by the numbers and a bit on common sense  :nixweiss:

Any thoughts Cheers

mrdinny

• Junior CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2010FLHXSE
Re: Can't believe it
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 08:25:38 AM »

That's okay rating for front tire only it won't see that load. Wobble in a sweeping corner? my money is on swing arm bushings or steering neck torque. 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 08:39:57 AM »

Whether it contributes to the wobble or not, you need to have that tire shop replace the incorrect tire with the correct one with at least a 77 load rating (908 lbs), which is what the bike came with.  This is a safety issue, and if they don't take it seriously I'd contact whatever authorities you have in Britain that deal with such issues.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 08:40:02 AM »

That's only for one tire. You have two ( I hope), add the load capacity for both tires together to get your total load capacity.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 08:43:58 AM »

I've had a bad wheel bearing cause the bike to wobble in a sweeper. Chased that for a couple weeks checking the usual suspects. Dang sealed bearings, never had a tapered wheel go bad in 40 years of riding HD.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 09:04:49 AM »

That's only for one tire. You have two ( I hope), add the load capacity for both tires together to get your total load capacity.

It's not quite that simple.  Take a look at the vehicle certification label where it lists the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating).  That number represents both the weight of the bike plus the allowed total amount for all passengers, luggage, and accessories.  When the factory determines the correct load ratings for the tires, they have to look at many variables including weight distribution.  As you add more weight to a bike, a large percentage of that additional load falls on the rear tire much more so than the front.  So if the manufacturer says the minimum load rating for the rear tire should be 908 lbs for instance, then that's what you need to be running, no matter what the load rating is on the front tire.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 09:33:31 AM »

It's not quite that simple.  Take a look at the vehicle certification label where it lists the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating).  That number represents both the weight of the bike plus the allowed total amount for all passengers, luggage, and accessories.  When the factory determines the correct load ratings for the tires, they have to look at many variables including weight distribution.  As you add more weight to a bike, a large percentage of that additional load falls on the rear tire much more so than the front.  So if the manufacturer says the minimum load rating for the rear tire should be 908 lbs for instance, then that's what you need to be running, no matter what the load rating is on the front tire.

Jerry
I understand that. Was trying to point out to the OP that the weight is shared between the two tires. Not a 50/50 share by any means, but it is still shared. I've yet to see a tire on a truck that has a 7k lb load rating on each tire.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 09:42:09 AM »

So I got back too my garage put the bike up on my stands so the rear wheel was of the floor to see what I could see if anything, I checked the Tyre press that was good
Now hear comes the cruncher,...as I was turning the wheel I read on the side wall (left hand side witch can't bee seen when it's on the jiffy stand) It reads the Tyre max load 760 lb  :o   WHAT 760 WAX

Whether it contributes to the wobble or not, you need to have that tire shop replace the incorrect tire with the correct one with at least a 77 load rating (908 lbs), which is what the bike came with.  This is a safety issue, and if they don't take it seriously I'd contact whatever authorities you have in Britain that deal with such issues.

Jerry
IMO the most significant thing (whether this is the cause of the wobble or not) is the incorrect tire/load rating (as Jerry stated) that is on the bike now which is a 148 lb difference. I would think the majority tend to overload/exceed the maximum GVWR and should meet or exceed the OEM's standard/recommendation. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

ultrarider123

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 09:45:20 AM »

Hey Pete, take note of what the others have stated concerning the wrong tire.  Get that baby changed!  Check the neck bearing and the tightness/torque.  Check the bearings on the rear swing arm.  Check the belt tightness.  All good things to keep an eye on but even if everything else checks out, change that rear tire, brother.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 10:48:03 AM »

Thank for all the feed back :2vrolijk_21:

Hey Pete, take note of what the others have stated concerning the wrong tire.  Get that baby changed!  on but even if everything else checks out, change that rear tire, brother.
Check the belt tightness Check the neck bearing and the tightness/torque.  Check the bearings on the rear swing arm. .  All good things to keep an eye

Thanks Howard, ya all those things have been eliminated when I was trying to sort it all out at the time of my "scary wobble post"  It's cost a few quid £££ having all this checking done.
I'm not going to mess around . That shop is going to take that tyre back I got them by the shorty's they installed a under rated tyre.
I'm thinking it's been the problem all a long :soapbox:

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 11:40:35 AM »

Thank for all the feed back :2vrolijk_21:
 Check the belt tightness Check the neck bearing and the tightness/torque.  Check the bearings on the rear swing arm. .  All good things to keep an eye

Thanks Howard, ya all those things have been eliminated when I was trying to sort it all out at the time of my "scary wobble post"  It's cost a few quid £££ having all this checking done.
I'm not going to mess around . That shop is going to take that tyre back I got them by the shorty's they installed a under rated tyre.
I'm thinking it's been the problem all a long :soapbox:

Even though a dangerous situation, I doubt that the underrated tire would "fold" if properly inflated...

When you have the rear tire replaced, make sure that both tires are a matched set of the proper tires, properly inflated. Sometimes when all checks good the wobble is still there, overtighting the steering head bearings (on the '06, '07, '08 models) will reduce the wobble, HD changed the steering head for the '06 model year, my Bud went through this on his '06 SE Ultra, I put several thousand miles on this bike, while it had a plusher ride than the '05 SEEG, it did seem to "float" a lot more than my '05, which was "planted" in all conditions (the '05 SEEG has a firmer suspension from the factory) overtightening the steering head bearings a little bit helped the '06. Sometimes firming up the front forks is required (heavier fork oil or firmer dampers such as Progressive). How many miles on the bike? the rear shocks (damping) might be worn out?
The GlidePro Bushings / Engine Mount and StaBo swingarm Bearings are worthwhile upgrades.
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 02:32:13 PM »

Even though a dangerous situation, I doubt that the underrated tire would "fold" if properly inflated...

When you have the rear tire replaced, make sure that both tires are a matched set of the proper tires, properly inflated. Sometimes when all checks good the wobble is still there, overtighting the steering head bearings (on the '06, '07, '08 models) will reduce the wobble, HD changed the steering head for the '06 model year, my Bud went through this on his '06 SE Ultra, I put several thousand miles on this bike, while it had a plusher ride than the '05 SEEG, it did seem to "float" a lot more than my '05, which was "planted" in all conditions (the '05 SEEG has a firmer suspension from the factory) overtightening the steering head bearings a little bit helped the '06. Sometimes firming up the front forks is required (heavier fork oil or firmer dampers such as Progressive). How many miles on the bike? the rear shocks (damping) might be worn out?
The GlidePro Bushings / Engine Mount and StaBo swingarm Bearings are worthwhile upgrades.

Thanks Wave, I will be going over all points. The bike has low miles, put it this way,.. it's just coming doe for it's second oil change.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 02:58:24 PM »

when you say wobble was it the rear end shake/wobble or was it the handle bar tank slapper? does your bike have the new style frame or the old style? Ive experianced  both and know the feeling

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 06:43:13 PM »

Thanks Wave, I will be going over all points. The bike has low miles, put it this way,.. it's just coming doe for it's second oil change.

Since the bike has less than 10,000 miles, I would just make sure that the tires are proper, and tighten up steering head bearings a little tighter than spec. :2vrolijk_21:

And if you have not already done it, check the air in the rear shocks.

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

skycat

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: Silver/Black 2015 Street Glide.
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 09:42:44 PM »

Check the engine mounts and top stabilizer, your swing arm is bolted to the trans. If any thing is loose or worn you will wobble all over the road. :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 07:35:49 PM by skycat »
2015 CVO Street Glide, not as good as it should be, Working on that it just needs time, like a good wine.
2010 Buell 1125R, my favorite blaster.
2003 Harley FXDL 100th Anniversary, a little gem.
1975 Suzuki RE5 Rotary 1200km as new.
2012 Suzuki GSX1250FA the perfect Hack. Awesome Bike

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 01:04:06 PM »

when you say wobble was it the rear end shake/wobble or was it the handle bar tank slapper? does your bike have the new style frame or the old style? Ive experianced  both and know the feeling
He does not specify but the photo is of a 2007 FLHTCUSE2 and I think that is the bike he is referring to.  So old style frame. :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2015, 03:52:29 PM »

The ride str8 or the tru track made these bikes handle better. The fork bearings are prob dry. Find that zerk and if it hasnt been lubed it will take a whole tube. Mine never woobled again after the rear stabilizer was added and the front lubed up. I had problems with rear swingarm wear but that was at 60k miles. It would be easy to put an indicator on wheels to ck run out

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2015, 05:04:11 PM »

It is the rear end doing the wiggle bars are steady.

He does not specify but the photo is of a 2007 FLHTCUSE2 and I think that is the bike he is referring to.  So old style frame. :2vrolijk_21:

It is the 2007

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2015, 05:31:06 PM »

I have been In touch with the tyre manufactures and it has come back that the tyre put on the bike is designed for lighter weight bikes.
The manufacture has given me the information as to the correct tyre to carry the load.
Now I've got to take it up with the bike shop. They messed up they got to make it right I'm hopping with out a struggle.

I've not found any other thing as far but this tyre issue and too keep in mind all this trouble began after the tyre was installed.

So now let the games begin   

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2015, 07:56:58 AM »

I was told at the Dealership the Batwing fairing was only designed to keep the wind off of you up to 70 mph. I have a standard windshield that doesn't so far cause this problem even at speeds in excess of 100mph.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 24 queries.