Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: rear brake issue  (Read 839 times)

smenard415

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange & Black
rear brake issue
« on: February 24, 2020, 04:54:24 PM »

Greetings,

I am the care taker of a 2009 CVO Roadglide trying desperately to keep it alive because I'm not spending $41,000 to replace it.

I've had the brake recall done on the rear abs master cylinder.  I've noticed that occasionally, not always, that when I hit the rear brakes there is nothing there.  Then as I start to panic, because i'm old and already too close to death, I hit the pedal again and there is a loud thunk and the brake is back.  Almost caused me to rear end a car at a toll booth in Buffalo on my way to Nova Scotia.   Any thoughts?  Getting ready to take it to the dealership I used to work at for a spring tire, wheel bearing, oil change visit.  Steve M

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Re: rear brake issue
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 05:03:33 PM »

While I'm not a wrench, I've been around a while. To me, it sounds as if the rear caliper is the issue. I'd get that looked at while it's in there. Could be dirty fluid or build up of gunk on the caliper itself.

Sent from my boring Droid phone.

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 05:38:38 PM »

While I'm not a wrench, I've been around a while. To me, it sounds as if the rear caliper is the issue. I'd get that looked at while it's in there. Could be dirty fluid or build up of gunk on the caliper itself.

Sent from my boring Droid phone.

x2.  Or it's the ABS malfunctioning.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 07:29:12 AM »

Low on fluid?  Especially if it hasn't been changed or serviced for 10 yrs.  Back then it wasn't a recommended service. Now it is recommended to be changed every two years.  Let me know what you find out, please.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 09:29:58 AM »

Greetings,

I am the care taker of a 2009 CVO Roadglide trying desperately to keep it alive because I'm not spending $41,000 to replace it.

I've had the brake recall done on the rear abs master cylinder.  I've noticed that occasionally, not always, that when I hit the rear brakes there is nothing there.  Then as I start to panic, because i'm old and already too close to death, I hit the pedal again and there is a loud thunk and the brake is back.  Almost caused me to rear end a car at a toll booth in Buffalo on my way to Nova Scotia.   Any thoughts?  Getting ready to take it to the dealership I used to work at for a spring tire, wheel bearing, oil change visit.  Steve M

A loud thunk when you apply the brakes is not a good thing, it could indicate a loose part.  I'd suggest you get the bike to an experienced mechanic and have the system checked out.  Also, when you say sometimes when you hit the pedal there is "nothing there", is the pedal very soft, very hard, or do you mean the pedal feels normal but you don't feel any braking action?  You may be one of the many victims of the Harley ABS valves sticking issue.  It's been a widespread problem, and the fix is replacing the hydraulic control unit (HCU).  You mentioned having an ABS recall done.  When was it performed and what exactly did they do?  Were any parts replaced, or did they just flush and refill the fluid?

Don't let this slide, those HCU's can go from having a random problem to a total loss of brakes in a short time. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

smenard415

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange & Black
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 03:01:02 PM »

you hit it right on the head Jerry.  Pedal feels normal but nothing happens.  I normally use front and back at the same time but on occasion I hit the back only and the problem pops up.  The worst part is of course before they did the recall I had 45,000 trouble free miles.  I love my CVO Roadglide but I swear this bike has had more issues than any bike I have ever owned.  My fat butt looks funny on my trouble free 2016 BMW R1200RT but I'm sure glad I have it to ride while the Roadglide is in the shop.

As to what they did I'm not sure.  I believe they went trough the bleeding procedure and everything was allegedly OK.  No parts were replace that I know of.   Love my bike but have been tempted to shoot it more than once.  The good news is that in 50,000 miles I've only been stranded once and that was when the belt broke.  My fault as I had changed sprockets and before I machined the swing arm I used a aftermarket belt.  Flat tire, broken lifters, dead battery, etc., all discovered at home.  I'm keeping it but I sure am tired of fixing it>

Thanks,
SteveM 

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 25 queries.