Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: ...and so it starts. Knock, knock, knock ...  (Read 15301 times)

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
Re: ...and so it starts. Knock, knock, knock ...
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2018, 08:56:49 AM »

The M8 is governed to 107 mph, the 107, the 114 and the 117.  The HD warranty legal tuners will not remove the speed governor or the rev limiter.  I know the TTS tuner will for a fact.

The TTS route is tricky. Yes, you can restore the baseline. How easy is it to do that when you break down 1500 miles from home? Heard from one of my HD tech friends that he’s already seen 3 warranties voided due to ECM modifications.

yobtaf103

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2018, 10:01:21 AM »

I'm waiting till the 2 yr warranty expires, as are most considering motor upgrades , got a PV just need to buy a new license frustrating .. yes

Got a 18 RGS like yourself, at least time will give more aftermarket options, seems to be lots of big bore choice options down the line

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2018, 10:12:54 AM »

Ol Hub would prolly say, limits? HA, no limits here.  ;D

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2018, 03:52:53 PM »

So I got a call from the HD Service Writer. They completed the scheduled work and there is still noise coming from the top end. They are ordering a complete Stage III Kit and starting over. Unbelievable. Guess the original Technician, one of their most experienced, really messed up the first install.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2018, 04:12:20 PM »

So I got a call from the HD Service Writer. They completed the scheduled work and there is still noise coming from the top end. They are ordering a complete Stage III Kit and starting over. Unbelievable. Guess the original Technician, one of their most experienced, really messed up the first install.

So rather than actually finding the cause of the knock (and therefore any subsequent issues that may develop from it) they don't even look and just replace everything?  Even if they know they're going to throw the kitchen sink at it I'd want to know what the problem is.

They're aren't that many sources for a top end noise.  It's not like this is difficult diagnostics.....

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2018, 05:12:37 PM »

So rather than actually finding the cause of the knock (and therefore any subsequent issues that may develop from it) they don't even look and just replace everything?  Even if they know they're going to throw the kitchen sink at it I'd want to know what the problem is.

They're aren't that many sources for a top end noise.  It's not like this is difficult diagnostics.....
Simon did say it was a "HD Service Writer" that called him that would mean it's a HD Dealership with factory trained technicians (parts changers)…. so not in the least bit surprised they are going to throw the "kitchen sink" at it as that would be the quickest (not best) remedy to solve the problem... not saying it's correct but it is what it is. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2018, 05:17:51 PM »

Simon did say it was a "HD Service Writer" that called him that would mean it's a HD Dealership with factory trained technicians (parts changers)…. so not in the least bit surprised they are going to throw the "kitchen sink" at it as that would be the quickest (not best) remedy to solve the problem... not saying it's correct but it is what it is. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

I know... but.....   oy vey  :wall:

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2018, 05:40:34 PM »

The TTS route is tricky. Yes, you can restore the baseline. How easy is it to do that when you break down 1500 miles from home? Heard from one of my HD tech friends that he’s already seen 3 warranties voided due to ECM modifications.
Even if you get the original HD map re-installed.....I have heard that it is date stamped with the 'new' installation date.....the bike itself rats you out!!!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2018, 05:57:35 PM »

He stated that they believed that heavy duty springs were not used. I told him that would be unusual since the new springs are a part of the kit. I just get the feeling that the guys who installed the original Stage III kit just did a shambles of a job.

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2018, 07:10:09 PM »

Certainly, not good news on the M8 - I was thinking of buying a 2019 in a few months if any caught my eye.

RIDE ON......

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2018, 07:47:20 PM »

He stated that they believed that heavy duty springs were not used. I told him that would be unusual since the new springs are a part of the kit. I just get the feeling that the guys who installed the original Stage III kit just did a shambles of a job.

Always such a nuisance/pain to have to deal with problems.  Even more so when you having a nagging-or-worse feeling that the problems might have so easily avoided.  Thank god for spare bikes to ride.

So the thinking know is they replaced everything in the cam chest for what might turn out to be a broken valve spring or something else up top.  Yeah, thank god for spare bikes....

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2018, 11:05:31 PM »

Even if you get the original HD map re-installed.....I have heard that it is date stamped with the 'new' installation date.....the bike itself rats you out!!!

That's not true. When Mastertune restores the ECM back to original, it also restores the original date and time stamp.

Steve@fullsac.com
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2018, 11:32:09 PM »

That's why I've developed harleytechnophobia - fear of having a Harley tech anywhere near my bike, lol.  Seriously I've not done much in the way of performance upgrades to my various Harleys but the few I've done came back to bite me due to poor workmanship.  I know that even a bone stock motor from the factory may not be assembled properly but I gotta think there's a good probabilityi t will have been assembled correctly.  Having the motor torn down and rebuilt / upgraded by your friendly local Harley tech - maybe 50/50.  From what I've seen and experienced these tech are working on several jobs at a time, may be waiting on parts,  etc., and it's really easy to forget something important, skip over something, not torque a fastener properly, etc. - basically do a shambles of a job as you said Simon.

Hope they get it all sorted for you and your're good to go.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 12:40:10 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2018, 08:03:59 AM »

Question is was it a TTS tuner?  Did the owner flash it to stock?  The refresh is easy, the pain is having to take a laptop with you on the trip.

That's not true. When Mastertune restores the ECM back to original, it also restores the original date and time stamp.

Steve@fullsac.com

Thats just one of many reasons I uses TTS.  Local dealer who prior to the M8 only used Harley stuff is now using TTS.  And this is why.  They know people want to modify their bikes.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2018, 08:47:59 AM »

Makes me wonder what the Tech was thinking. Is he disgruntled? Rushed? Under the gun for efficiency numbers?

My favorite tech whom is also a FB friend of mine recently quit wrenching and moved on to another occupation altogether due to stuff like I just mentioned. I'm glad they have another Master Tech on site I trust and the SM is also an MT that used to build engines down at CycleRama.

There's a member on here that had a 117 kit done by my friend/former tech that was quite pleased with his work along with a few dyno sheets on here as well with his name at the bottom of them that people are happy with. I'll miss him at the shop end of things but still have Him as a resource for answering questions or helping me empty a cooler.

Boring Tapatalk Signature

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 26 queries.