Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vance Hines Pipes  (Read 6257 times)

PuttyNH

Vance Hines Pipes
« on: January 06, 2008, 12:23:11 AM »

Has anyone changed the pipes on the FXDSE/FXDSE2?  I'm thinking about the sideshots.  two things concern me...
1- the sound of the bike
2- the 110 engine probelms I'm hearing, I would think Harley warranty would cover this first year

I also know vance hines pushes the fuel pack, but is that really necessary?

http://www.vanceandhines.com/a102_sideshots_06dyn.html

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
Re: Vance Hines Pipes
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 10:31:05 AM »

I put on the V&H Big Shot Staggered, it is LOUD. It sounds awesome, but after riding a long way (6-8 hours) my ears are ringing. I've thought about getting soft ear plugs for the longer rides, 'cause I really don't want to "tame it down" at all. I had the Screaming Eagle Race Tuner done on mine before the exhaust install, and I think the power is perfect. I get an occasional hot hard accelleration ping that lasts a split second, and a little popping on decel but I am sure both of those things could be taken care of with a more precise tune ( my tuner will be setting it up soon). I also replaced the paper high flow air filter with the lifetime K&N. All in all, I am very pleased with everything. I have approx. 6,000 miles on the bike and the only issues I have had to contend with were-
1) mirror vibration, cured by race tuner & exhuast
2) clunking going over bumps, cured by securing the gas tank/tightening nuts-bolts
3) front fork pre-load bearing retainer nut loosening, cured by adding thread loc & setting to spec.'s.

If the loudness of the exhaust becomes too big an issue, Vance & Hines does offer baffles to "tame it down".
Also, if you have not done so all ready, change your oil over to another brand of synthetic, as Harley uses the lowest bidder. I use Mobil 1 v-twin, but there are other options such as Amsoil, Royal Blue, etc. Best of luck!

Flyndyna
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

PuttyNH

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 01:28:50 AM »

Thanks for the response!

fxdsebeloved

• Full CVO Member
  • Four Wheels Move The Body Two Wheels Move The Soul

• CVO1: (Beloved) 2007 FXDSE Silver Rush/Midnight Black
    • alcohaulinasss
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 05:40:17 PM »

Thinking of these with SERT, K&N High flow air filter and 257 cams :2vrolijk_21:
Member # 1786
If you live in the past
You will have no future

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member
  • ride 'em don't hide 'em

• CVO1: '08 fxdse2
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 12:25:40 PM »

I'm running 257 cams in my 08 fxdse with 10.4 compression and its still a little soft at low rpm...if you really want to run that cam I'd suggest getting compression above 10.5
08 fxdse2, r&r heads, 257 cam, hpi 55mm t/body, supermeg

magnum

• CVO1: cvo
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 07:16:41 PM »

:) i have a friend with a 04 soft tail 88 inch motor with the pipes you show and they sound very agressive but they are so short if your bike is not tuned just right they shoot flames and crackle alot due to shortness .fuel pak does a nice job for the VH pipes. gotta have fuel pak or sert to change out your pipes without it way to lean.also need a high flow filter. :2vrolijk_21:
magnum done it

BigMo

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 03:51:56 AM »

Hey FLYNDYNA, got the same scoot brother. Same paint and all, love the damn thing. My Fatboy is now the cruiser/2-up mobile, and the Dyna is the hot rod. I put on big air, and your same pipes, V&H Bigs-Staggered with the slash ends. I put in Big City Thunder baffles, and its loud, but pops nice, like it. SERT and all that, runs pretty good, needs more cam as everybody knows, no problems with gasket leaks, just over 3k miles. Want more cam, heads worked, more comp. and then it will be a real hot rod. Everybody has bashed the motor, and I understand because of problems with leaks, but overall, it rolls good. Dies off at 5 grand or so, but in between, it flies.

Just my rant,

Later,

BigMo

rscamarochad

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 09:00:55 PM »

I have an FXDSE2 w/the V&H Big Radius Pipes.  I personally like the sound, but I get heavy popping when I cut loose of the throttle to let the gearing slow me down for a stop or something.  I guess that would be the only thing I would change about how they sound. They can be as loud or as silent as I want them to be based on how I drive the bike.  If your heavy into the throttle they scream.  If you baby the bike they aren't much louder than stock pipes.  The guys at my local dealership said there was no tune necessary for my bike.  I don't know how true that is.  I came from the world of crotch rockets, and we had power commanders on everything always as one of the first things we did to a new bike.  I can't really feel any performance deficiencies.  The bike will straight up get gone when I ask it too.  Fastest cruiser I have ever ridden....

fxdsebeloved

• Full CVO Member
  • Four Wheels Move The Body Two Wheels Move The Soul

• CVO1: (Beloved) 2007 FXDSE Silver Rush/Midnight Black
    • alcohaulinasss
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 05:31:47 AM »

The guys at my local dealership said there was no tune necessary for my bike.  I don't know how true that is.

The bike is fuel injected and the ecm needs to be adjusted for the new flow that the pipes are giving.  You should also consider using a fuel pack or a SERT with the new pipes that will help with performance.
Member # 1786
If you live in the past
You will have no future

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 24 queries.