Custom Vehicle Discussions > Screamin' EagleĀ® Road GlideĀ®

loose triple tree???

<< < (2/3) > >>

Scooterhair:
Well, next course of action is to replace the bearings and races. Because that's where the problem is. They don't know why some bikes do it. I think it's how they seat the races in the neck. I replaced them last year on the wife's 97 FXWG and it's all better now.

Scooterhair:
One wrench told me that they have even used a impact and set the fall away at 3-4 inches. That was like 6 years ago and the owner of the bike is still riding it with no problems.  I think I might try it for a temp fix and then change everything this winter in the down time.

grc:
I had the same issue on my '99 FXDX - either when braking hard or on certain types of bumps, there was a click / clunk in the front end from day 1.  Adjusting the bearings slightly tighter than spec eliminated the problem.  When I pulled the trees to service the bearings at 10k, the races and the bearings looked fine, with no obvious misalignment or scoring.  So at this point the whole thing is still a mystery.  I still think the races and bearings are going to be your answer, however.

Jerry

HEADPAN62:
well I had her all apart,,,and a certified wrench,,,,so I stick with my diagnos of  bearings and stem tight,,,top tree rocking on adjusting nut ferrel......that top nut is so tight I actually want to back of it a smidge,,I will get her off the ground once more and pull top tree and replace adjusting nut..will let you guys know how it goes....

Scooterhair:
good luck

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version