Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Re: 01 RG Handlebar wobble when de-accelerating  (Read 5603 times)

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
Re: 01 RG Handlebar wobble when de-accelerating
« on: March 30, 2005, 08:16:33 PM »

To JjR:

Had the exact same problem on a 2001 Road Glide.  Grease the neck--Instant fix!

Otis [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 09:25:40 PM »

Good answer Otis.
That was my recommendation!

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 02:45:22 AM »

To JjR:

Had the exact same problem on a 2001 Road Glide.
JR

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 07:41:48 AM »

[smiley=oops.gif]I negected that part about the grease, thought it was done.

Mike

Mike,
I did not think of it either since there is only 2K miles on the bike since the 10K service. But that was around 3 years ago. It still might not be it, but will try it.

All I need to know now if its ok just to use Auto grease or marine grease as I have both of them on hand. If not I will go over to HD and get there's.

John
JR

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 10:32:03 AM »

To JjR:

JR

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 03:39:13 PM »

Well got the grease this afternoon and pumped in what I think was close to a half a tube. Took the bike out (still quite windy here) and its still the same. I did run it out on the expressway and the bike handels flawlessly. Then tried some more decell tests.

No wobble from 60 mph to 50mph from 50 mph to 40 mph wobble begiuns at 43mph the worse is at 40 mph. Under 40 no problem!

As I mentioned before with your hands on the handlebar when slowing down there isn no problem at all nor when accelrating.

The swing test shows that the bearings may be a tad tight which would translate info a weave rather than a wobble. Which would be caused by the bearings being too loose.

Well at this point I'm really starting to think that its tire balance?

Any and all input is appreciated!
JR

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 03:50:02 PM »

Just called the dealer for any input and I was told do not worry about as you should not be riding with you hands off the bars and he would not have one of his tech try to do it either.

I since everything is fine when hands on the bars I will leave it alone. As I mentioned when I had the GL1800 they had the exact same problem which could not be cured.
JR

booboosboss

• Junior CVO Member
  • SATISFIED
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 06:56:16 PM »

DEATH OR SERIOUS INJURY .......... DEATH OR SERIOUS INJURY.............. DEATH OR SEROUS INJURY.......... [smiley=engel017.gif] . JUST A QUOTE FROM THE OWNERS MANUAL ....
« Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 05:27:51 AM by booboosboss »

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 07:55:51 PM »

DEATH OR SERIOUS INJURY .......... DEATH OR SERIOUS INJURY.............. DEATH OR SEROUS INJURY.......... [smiley=engel017.gif] . JUST A QUOTE FROM THE SERVICE MANUAL ....
JR

booboosboss

• Junior CVO Member
  • SATISFIED
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 05:25:42 AM »

BIG J . THAT WAS SUPPOSED 2 BE TOUNGUE IN CHEEK . HAVE YOU EVER LOOKED AT HOW MANY TIMES
« Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 04:14:42 PM by booboosboss »

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005, 05:52:55 AM »

BIG J . THAT WAS SUPPOSED 2 BE TOUNGE IN CHEEK . HAVE YOU EVER LOOKED AT HOW MANY TIMES
JR

booboosboss

• Junior CVO Member
  • SATISFIED
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2005, 10:05:25 AM »

A HUNDRED PUMPS ??? DAMN THAT GREASE HAS GOT TO BE RUNNING DOWN YOUR LEG BY NOW !!! [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] ALOT OF TIMES THE SERVICE WE GET IS A LICK AND A PROMISE ...... YA KNOW WHAT I MEAN ?                                                                     AS FAR AS THE CLOCK GOES ITS DAYLITE SAVINGS TIME !!!!! THE TRUE INDICATOR OF SPRINGTIME ......  RIDE ON , RIDE ON , RIDE ON ........................

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2005, 11:52:29 AM »

Dang, I'm w/ BooBoo'sBoss on the hundred pumps...........how long is the hose on that grease gun?  Har! [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2005, 12:04:29 PM »

Dang, I'm w/ BooBoo'sBoss on the hundred pumps...........how long is the hose on that grease gun?
JR

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2005, 12:12:12 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, JjR,
 OTIS is exactly right! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]  Now, let me inform you of what you have to look forward to, if you did, in fact, put over two full pumps from a hand grease gun, in your Goose Neck. [smiley=oops.gif]  First, the lower triple tree will amass a clump of this "Wonder Oinment", around the base of the Goose Neck. [smiley=shocked2.gif]  Then, as the temperature rises in direct porportion with the Season, or, you happen to house your Motorsickle in a heated area, the oil base in the Grease will begin to expose itself, and begin its unbecoming journey down the left cowbell, which will, by all appearances, lead you to believe you have a bad fork tube seal. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  But, you do not!! [smiley=thumbsdown.gif]  I hope you have as much fun as I did, in the very liberating experience, of removing this friction resistant from your Motorsickle, and returning to it's original lustre!! [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]  Later--HUBBARD      
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2005, 01:05:05 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, JjR,

JR

HDBIGMAN

• THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2005, 08:42:55 PM »

I have had the same experience with my 01 since new (now 12,000 mi) and had it checked out at 3 different dealers and kept getting the same advice "don't take your hands off the bars". I'm not particularly satisfied with that response but it is at least consistent, the bike handles great other than the wobble so I just don't take my hands off the bars when de-accelerating. It would be great if someone knows how to fix it or at least what causes it.

booboosboss

• Junior CVO Member
  • SATISFIED
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2005, 02:38:52 AM »

TRY THIS ... FIND A NICE STRETCH OF ROAD THAT YOU CAN ACTIVATE YOUR CRUISE CONTROL , THEN TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF , THERE SHOULD BE NO WOBBLE ... THE WOBBLE , AS WAS EXPLAINED TO ME , IS INDUCED BY THE DECELERATION OF THE V-TWIN'S UNEVEN RECIPROCATING MASS .... JUST REMEMBER THE DEATH OR SERIOUS INJURY RULE [smiley=skull.gif] .....

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2005, 06:27:21 PM »

To JjR:

JR

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2005, 06:48:33 PM »

TO ALL:

I took the bike into HD and they found that the tire had a bad belt in it. Problem solved!

That's great you got it fixed, now the question is how did they determine that the tire had a bad belt? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2005, 07:12:44 PM »

That's great you got it fixed, now the question is how did they determine that the tire had a bad belt? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Lake Shore HD called about 45 minutes ago and told me that they checked out the front end and then determined that the tire had a bad belt.  That is all I know for know, I have yet to pick up the bike. I 'm supposed to pick it up tomorrow.

The bitch is that I bought the tire from Dennis Kick on a price match so I got it for $90 delivered. The dealer wants $170 for there tire plus a hour or so labor for the front end inspection. CRAP [smiley=confused5.gif]

So now the tire must e sent back to Kirk for a credit, I just called them and I was told no problem on that but when I asked what about all the freaking money I had to spend because of the new bad tire they sold me I was told sorry!

Will update later........
JR

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2005, 10:15:46 AM »

Lake Shore HD called about 45 minutes ago and told me that they checked out the front end and then determined that the tire had a bad belt.
JR

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2005, 12:24:20 PM »

Well just got home from the dealer and the bike now handels perfect, no wobble with hands off at any speed. Road home on quite a windy day and can say that this bike handles 100% better then my Road King in the wind.

So I would guess that the bottom line is if you get a new tire and you experaince this you might replace the tire first. Mine looks brand new but had a problem, one that was not figured out till I spent $275.00 for HD to look at it and determine that the new tire was at fault.

THE END

John
JR

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2005, 03:23:12 PM »

Well just got home from the dealer and the bike now handels perfect, no wobble with hands off at any speed. Road home on quite a windy day and can say that this bike handles 100% better then my Road King in the wind.

So I would guess that the bottom line is if you get a new tire and you experaince this you might replace the tire first. Mine looks brand new but had a problem, one that was not figured out till I spent $275.00 for HD to look at it and determine that the new tire was at fault.

THE END

John

This to to Comment the Dennis Kirk Company who helped me out with the problem. These folks jumped right in when called them about the bill. With no Bull chit the stepped right up to the bat and paid the all the HD bills I ended up getting a check for $231.18 which worked out with the original refund of my tire money.

I can say that this is one stand up company and they will have my business for years to come!

Also as you may not know Dennis Kirk will price match any legitimate offer for any of there items and beat the price by $1.00 and they have all items in stock!!!!!!!!!

Enough said Denns Kirk IT FREAKING GREAT!

FWIW there tires are fresh from the manfactur and they have a much higher turn around that then any HD dealer. So do not believe the dealer BS that when ever you buy a tire online at almost half the price he is selling that it has to be a second.!
JR
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 21 queries.