Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wild 1 517 Chubby Apes Where to rout clutch cable?  (Read 2791 times)

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE Autumn Haze/Carbon Dust
Wild 1 517 Chubby Apes Where to rout clutch cable?
« on: January 17, 2009, 12:47:13 PM »

Several SERG owners here have gone to the WO517s and stated that they had to reroute the clutch cable.  I'm going to order a set (my back just can't take it anymore) and I'd appreciate it if someone would explain where exactly they had to reroute the cable or even post pictures :)

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
Re: Wild 1 517 Chubby Apes Where to rout clutch cable?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 12:54:20 PM »

I've wondered the same thing.

I've had to change the handle bars on both of my FLTR's. I've sat on the SERG and think I might get away with leaving them alone, but, just in case, I'd like to know what options I have.

The Wild 1 517 Chubby Apes sound like a good deal since no cables have to be changed. That is HUGE in terms of cost savings in my experience...

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 01:23:37 PM »

I rolled the bars back as far as they'll go without hitting the console and they're okay if I'm sitting bolt upright but when leaning back in a more comfortable "highway cruising" position my arms are extended to the max.  I'm hoping that the 517s will allow me to have my arms bent at the elbows and at rest.  They have a set with a 10" rise (WO515s?) that would come further back but I don't want them in my lap either.

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 10:58:02 PM »

My dealer did the handlebar install so I don't know exactly what they had to do to route the cable. I do know that the 1st time they routed the cable and had it all hooked up, it was not right and the handlebars would not quite turn all of the way in one direction and they thought they were going to have to extend the cables. The 2nd attempt, they routed the cable another way and got it right. If you are doing the job yourself, you might just have to do a little trial and error or do like I did and have the dealer perform the install. It gave me piece of mind that it would be put together right if the dealer did the install instead of me. Every other modification I have managed to do myself, but I didn't want to mess with the ABS and clutch.

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 03:12:39 AM »

My dealer did the handlebar install so I don't know exactly what they had to do to route the cable. I do know that the 1st time they routed the cable and had it all hooked up, it was not right and the handlebars would not quite turn all of the way in one direction and they thought they were going to have to extend the cables. The 2nd attempt, they routed the cable another way and got it right. If you are doing the job yourself, you might just have to do a little trial and error or do like I did and have the dealer perform the install. It gave me piece of mind that it would be put together right if the dealer did the install instead of me. Every other modification I have managed to do myself, but I didn't want to mess with the ABS and clutch.

I'm the same only Jim HD-dude did mine, why don't you PM him and ask!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 04:11:02 AM »

Assuming the bar's shape on the old SERGs are anything like the new bikes the rerouting required on the 2000 model was simple.  There's a cable clamp on left side.  Just had to turn it 180 degrees to bring the cable a tiny bit closer in.  It would've worked fine with the new bars and the cable clamp simply removed also.

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 11:51:22 AM »

The line doesn't go up the left tube, it goes directly up the Right tube then is clamped to the neck and looks to wrap around the front of the neck before going up to the left handlebar.  From what others have posted the stealerships have had problems routing it and saying it wouldn't work only to get it right after more fidgeting...it doesn't sound like a simple fix.  Thats why I started this thread, in hopes of someone posting pics and clear directions for the benefit of all.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 12:00:30 PM »

The line doesn't go up the left tube, it goes directly up the Right tube then is clamped to the neck and looks to wrap around the front of the neck before going up to the left handlebar.  From what others have posted the stealerships have had problems routing it and saying it wouldn't work only to get it right after more fidgeting...it doesn't sound like a simple fix.  Thats why I started this thread, in hopes of someone posting pics and clear directions for the benefit of all.

I was no help then.  Your 09 routing is entirely different than the 2000 I put those W1 bars on last year.  The old one just comes up the lower left side. Goes diagonally across the front and runs up the bars.  It's all painfully obvious. 

It sounds like you're losing some length by not going diagonally across the front.  Perhaps that'd be the reroute necessary :nixweiss: ?

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 01:10:14 PM »

Yeah, or instead of wrapping around the front of the neck, going strait up to the handlebar from the right side of the neck where it's clamped next to the other lines that run aft...(to the ABS module under the tank?)

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.