Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: '09 Gas Mileage  (Read 13333 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Re: '09 Gas Mileage
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2009, 10:32:59 PM »

I have 530 miles on my SERG in the 12 days I have had it.  On the two complete fills where I calculated mileage, I got 41.3 and 42.9 mpg respectively.

Smuuth, I'm assuming at 530 miles, you are still running your bike stock and haven't changed the map yet, which means you are running lean and using less fuel than you will after it gets dynotuned.  Mine dropped down and it seems like it's getting better now that I've put over 5000 miles on it, and about 4000 of them this month.  I think my bike is breaking in, but at the same time, I'm now getting some good highway miles in.  Normal day rides and around town, I may still be getting something in the 30's.  But the point is that after you reach your 1000 miles for break in, if you are like a good many of us, you will change exhaust, intake, and get a fuel management system, and then get your bike dynotuned.  At that point, they will richen your air fuel ratio, or add more gas to the equation, which will tend to lower your mileage.  Your bike will perform better, and you will run cooler, which in turn is not as hard on the engine...but your mileage will probably drop some overall.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 09:29:29 AM »

:)

On my 07 when I installed the TMAT(with wide band O2 sensors), D&D 2-1, and intake, my mileage went down 1 to 2 miles per gallon.

However, on my 09, when I installed the intake, Rinehart slipons, PC V with autotune and removed the cat header pipe, my mileage actually increased by over 2 mpg.  had the work done at 1000 miles and now have over 3400 and its getting better.

Go figure. 

Plus it runs cooler and more power.  Only logically explanation is the cat is so restrictive it chokes the engine.
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTCUTGSE - Sunset Orange &amp Sunset Black
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver Surfer - 2013 FLHRSE5 Crushed Saphire
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2009, 07:27:13 PM »

Well...  I just spent my first real day on my 09 SERG since I bought it. WOW!!!  what a day.  Riding with fellow members of my local chapter  and enjoying a beautiful perfect Florida day.

After reading everyone's posts on this read, I have a couple concerns and or questions I need some help with.  But first, here's the specs on this bike:
1. 09 SERG with 300 fresh miles on her.
2. Cats removed
3. TTS Mastertune Installed with a current Fullsac map from Steve.
4. 2" Fullsac baffles.

I filled up the tank at 7:00 AM with as much gas as I could squeeze in (trying to not splash gas all over the damn place and not being very successfull...).  Afterwhich I noticed that the needle on the gas gauge never really pegged all the way to full. It was just a shy under but not too much to be overly concerned about.

It seemed like within the first 30 to 40 minutes of riding I could visually detect the guage already starting to drop a little.  By the end of the afternoon and 100 miles later I'm now on a half tank...   This has me a little concerned.  I wasn't riding all that hard. After all we were in a large group running back roads with minimal to moderate traffic.

Is it normal and common  for a SE 110 bike with such low miles to suck up gas so quick..? Or will this be the norm going forward..?

I have Steve's latest and greatest TTS map for my bike, should I still be thinking about getting this bike dyno'd anyway..?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2009, 07:40:31 PM »

::) ::) ::)

My personal experience both with my bikes and with my friends is that it takes about 3000 to 5000 for the bikes to start getting better gas mileage.  It's not uncommon for the bike to increase 4 to 5 mpg just with mileage.

After several thousand miles if it still is bad (relative term) less than 37 or 38, might want to check into it.  New ones can get 30.

It will get better.
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 1999 Road King

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2009, 10:28:07 PM »

Well...  I just spent my first real day on my 09 SERG since I bought it. WOW!!!  what a day.  Riding with fellow members of my local chapter  and enjoying a beautiful perfect Florida day.

After reading everyone's posts on this read, I have a couple concerns and or questions I need some help with.  But first, here's the specs on this bike:
1. 09 SERG with 300 fresh miles on her.
2. Cats removed
3. TTS Mastertune Installed with a current Fullsac map from Steve.
4. 2" Fullsac baffles.

I filled up the tank at 7:00 AM with as much gas as I could squeeze in (trying to not splash gas all over the damn place and not being very successfull...).  Afterwhich I noticed that the needle on the gas gauge never really pegged all the way to full. It was just a shy under but not too much to be overly concerned about.

It seemed like within the first 30 to 40 minutes of riding I could visually detect the guage already starting to drop a little.  By the end of the afternoon and 100 miles later I'm now on a half tank...   This has me a little concerned.  I wasn't riding all that hard. After all we were in a large group running back roads with minimal to moderate traffic.

Is it normal and common  for a SE 110 bike with such low miles to suck up gas so quick..? Or will this be the norm going forward..?

I have Steve's latest and greatest TTS map for my bike, should I still be thinking about getting this bike dyno'd anyway..?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Matt,

You should hook up a laptop and run VTune that comes with the TTS program. The map may be good but no two bikes are the same and you probably need to get your VE's dialed in.

jb

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2009, 10:44:55 PM »

It almost sounds like your tank wasn't full to start with, and 100 miles down to half a tank, with it being less than full may not be bad.  The 2nd half of the tank won't get you double what the first half did though.  My bike wasn't getting very good mileage for the first 1000+ miles and then suddenly when I took a long trip, I averaged over 41 mpg at speeds very rarely under 80 mph.  My bike has since been averaging about the same or more with local riding.  I did have my dyno'd and I have the SEPST though, so I can't comment on the TTS.  My tank shows somewhere in the range of 275 miles to empty now when I fill it up.  I think it was showing about 210 to 220 miles when I first got the bike.  I'm definitely getting better mileage now, but I've got almost 6000 miles on it now.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 10:56:39 PM by 1abastarsmda »

chanman

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: O6 SE Ultra Classic (Sold)
    • CVO2: 09 SE Ultra Classic
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2009, 11:25:27 PM »

I have never owned a harley where the gas guage was accurate, depending on that will surely leave one walking at some point. I set the trip meter, dont even bother to look at the guage. I am getting 42.4 mpg on the ultra since I changes the pipes,air cleaner an put the PC on.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2009, 11:41:45 PM »

My gas gauge seems to be consistent, and no different that what I have in a car.  It stays on full for quite some time, and then starts dipping, and after the half tank mark, dips even quicker.  I have always had similar experience with cars.  It seems to be consistent as far as gauge reading, miles left on tank, and miles ridden.  I start thinking about gas in the 200 mile range and will ride it out to maybe 230, as long as the miles to empty still shows upper 30's to 40 miles left.  At that point, I start seriously looking for a gas stop.  I trust the gauges, but only so far.

My friend has an 08 SEUC and his gas gauge wouldn't reach full and showed him hovering on empty after a little over 100 miles.  But it would take in the 3 gallon range to fill it back up when it showed empty.  I told him that he had a problem...shop agreed...they ordered a new fuel gauge or tank floats, or whatever it is that they determined would fix the problem.

Another thing I have found is that the way the fuel opening is on my bike, when the pump shuts off, I can squeeze more gas in little spurts for quite some time to get it to actually fill up, and that's with it on the jiffy stand.  If the bike was upright, I'm sure it would hold some more.  That opening seems very prone to gas spitting back out at you, so you need to be patient and careful if you want to get it full.  Waiting for it to stop and a few quick top offs doesn't get it full.

chanman

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: O6 SE Ultra Classic (Sold)
    • CVO2: 09 SE Ultra Classic
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2009, 01:02:16 AM »

My gas gauge seems to be consistent, and no different that what I have in a car.  It stays on full for quite some time, and then starts dipping, and after the half tank mark, dips even quicker.  I have always had similar experience with cars.  It seems to be consistent as far as gauge reading, miles left on tank, and miles ridden.  I start thinking about gas in the 200 mile range and will ride it out to maybe 230, as long as the miles to empty still shows upper 30's to 40 miles left.  At that point, I start seriously looking for a gas stop.  I trust the gauges, but only so far.

an thats what you consider accurate???... different expectations I guess, I didnt say I was right, just that I have never owned a Harley with an accuate guage, if its accuate why would it go down fastr after you reach a half tank than gtting there..The technology is lacking

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2009, 07:42:56 AM »

an thats what you consider accurate???... different expectations I guess, I didnt say I was right, just that I have never owned a Harley with an accuate guage, if its accuate why would it go down fastr after you reach a half tank than gtting there..The technology is lacking

Why would you expect it to be better than every other motor vehicle on the road?  It's the same thing in every car I've ever driven.  I do believe my miles to empty indicator is accurate.  I think it's great that we have 3 different ways to crosscheck to make sure we know how much gas we have left.  Tripmeter, miles to empty meter, gas gauge.  If I run out of gas with all of those...my bad!

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTCUTGSE - Sunset Orange &amp Sunset Black
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver Surfer - 2013 FLHRSE5 Crushed Saphire
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2009, 08:42:51 AM »

I'm relieved to hear much of the feedback I've read so far.  I'll work on adding mileage to the scoot while relying more heavily on the trip meter than the gas guage.  Meanwhile I'll look into getting a v-tune here locally.

I also ride an 04 Road King.  When I top it off, it stays on full a very long time before I ever notice it starting to dip.  That machine gets great mileage.

chrisCVO

• ChrisCVO
    • WV

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHTKSE
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2009, 01:44:45 PM »

Just returned from a 3500 mile , 10 day , 21 tanks of gas, ride.  My 09 cuse4 has 12,000 miles on it.  Best MPG was 39.4, worst: 32.8.  I averaged around 35 MPG.   Rear tire has 3-5 thousand left miles in it.  I had to replace the front tire in Louisiana at 10,000 miles,due to cupping.  Used no oil .  I have a race tuner,stock pipes and SE air cleaner . Dyno at 86 HP, 106 torque.  "Thats all I know about that !"   Chris

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2009, 01:57:13 PM »

I had front tire cupping also. :nervous:
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

chrisCVO

• ChrisCVO
    • WV

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHTKSE
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2009, 02:10:24 PM »

I run 38 lbs front , 40lbs rear.  Had bike in shop before I left.  (CB problems)  I also had them check the front tire because the wheel weights had come off.  I didn't re-check air pressure. 
Good news was that the dealership in Houma, Louisiana had a black wall in stock. They had me out in a couple hours,  GREAT PEOPLE!

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2009, 02:52:09 PM »

:apple: :carrot: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pineapple: :pepper:

My experience would lead one to believe on my 09 SE Ultra, my mileage went up (albeit a little) but cooler, more power and better throttle, after I got rid of the cat, put on the Stage I AC, Rineharts and PC V with autotune.

And my mileage two up definitely went up.

:) :D ;D ::)

Former 1999 Road King
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 24 queries.