Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Detailing  (Read 12127 times)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
Detailing
« on: November 17, 2006, 05:29:11 PM »

OK DOOD now here is your chance to SHINE!!!!!

Give us your best on how to detail a bike.

I am going to wait to give up my secrets till later on.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Detailing
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 06:28:49 PM »

Dawg,

I dunno there were a few with Detailing OCD at JCI this year.   I think Dood has some competition in this dept.  

What products do you use and in what stages do you use them?

Which Products do you like the best which should we stay away from?

Only thing I can add to don't do's is dont drop a Walmart Blue Micro Fiber cloth on a hot exhaust pipe ....   They melt and create quite the mess.

This string outta be a good one.

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 07:44:11 PM »

OK DOOD now here is your chance to SHINE!!!!!

Give us your best on how to detail a bike.

I am going to wait to give up my secrets till later on.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
There others here that are way better at it then me. [smiley=nixweiss.gif] All I do is a good detail when I wash, and wipe it down after each ride. I'm in the process of trying some new things that I've recently heard about and saw in use in MV by those that were more "talented" in this area then me. ;D

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 07:44:37 PM by flhtcse2004 »
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 07:54:52 PM »

Well, let me be the first to mention Glare products in this section of the board!

http://glare.com/

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 07:55:54 PM »

OK
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 07:56:22 PM by SPIDERMAN »

twincam

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 08:32:26 PM »

ok how about thia here in the southwest we have a big problem with water spots, I use to wash the bike then use a parts washer with disilled water to rinse then blow dry. after I got the new paint I ask my dealer what he recommended, he told me to go to home depot and buy a mr clean car wash system..... this chit works great, you can watch the water disappear off the bike and no  water spots. there is 1 thing I am cocerned with though, I recently bought some glare products, it say's on the bottle do not use with other poylmer agents. mr clean is a poylmer product. any coments?????????? [smiley=confused5.gif]

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 08:38:30 PM »

Had spokes on my 02 road king and spent about 2hrs doing nothing but the wheel 3 different size bottle brushes and 2 nylon brushes.  I use hd sun wash (no mitt, just cloth diapers 1/4) on both bike along with bike bright.  I wash she dries and we both polish with diamond luster wax and micro fiber clothes.  One bike gets washed each friday weather permitting.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 08:41:14 PM »

ok how about thia here in the southwest we have a big problem with water spots, I use to wash the bike then use a parts washer with disilled water to rinse then blow dry. after I got the new paint I ask my dealer what he recommended, he told me to go to home depot and buy a mr clean car wash system..... this chit works great, you can watch the water disappear off the bike and no
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 08:43:07 PM »

Sorry folks,
   Maybe old school,  but soap and water to wash the bike......lot's of soap and lot's of water (that way you get no scratches from dust.....like on saddlebags etc.).  Dry the bike (maybe a good blow job with a compressor and nozzle......towels, chamis...what ever).  Carnuba wax on all painted parts (2 coats are best). Chrome is best rubbed with never dull or the like and then waxed.  Engines are best done with simple green and scrubbed (to remove the weaping of the gaskets....like between the block and trans).  I don't do it enough,  but wish I had time too, and then you're ready to think about doing leather (LEXOL is the best on the planet....No discussion....it's been around since the beginning of time and is still the best leather conditioner on the planet...they make a cleaner too {Lexus owners get a bottle with their new cars})  JMHO........

That's the way you do it see.......
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

twincam

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 08:44:18 PM »

thanks dood you the man... hell, need answers just ask on this site ........ kind of like a jenny in a bottle!!!!!! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 10:05:32 PM »

ok how about thia here in the southwest we have a big problem with water spots, I use to wash the bike then use a parts washer with disilled water to rinse then blow dry. after I got the new paint I ask my dealer what he recommended, he told me to go to home depot and buy a mr clean car wash system..... [highlight]this chit works great, you can watch the water disappear off the bike and no
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 10:11:21 PM »

To wash I use Crystal Glo acrylic cycle wash with very, very hot water. Rinse heavily. Then blow dry the bike.

To remove light scratches I use S100 cleanser with micro fibre cloth.
I then follow that up with Rod & Custom Show Gloss Creme (amazing shine!) applied with a microtech cloth. www.zingading.com/paintsealants.html

For protection I use Crystal Glo Acrylic Polish. Incredibly deep wet look. The whole line of Crystal Glo products are world class in my opinion. www.crystal-glo.com

For the windscreen, lights & directionals I use plexus with crystal glo.

On the chrome I use either S100 polishing soap (this works great on head & cylinder fins while washing) or Master Formula Metal Gloss. It also protects very well. www.metalgloss.com To remove burnt rubber on pipes I'll use Never Dull. Goo Gone also works great to remove stains on motor.

For exotic leather I use Bickmore. Bick 1 cleaner & Bick 4 conditioner. Nothing better in existance. www.bickmore.com

On the tires I use Meguiars Endurance tire gel. Looks wet and lasts.

For the quick detail I use a California car duster then Wizards Mist N Shine. Removes bugs great and has a real nice gloss. Their micro fibre clothes are great! www.wizardsproducts.com

Spray WD40 on a Qtip to remove light rust in chrome allen or torx fasteners.

Wax on.... Wax off....
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 10:20:16 PM by GROVER »

twincam

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 10:21:55 PM »

twincam,

The thing that eliminates the water spots isn't the detergent, it's the deionized water final rinse.  This is the same thing found at many car washes, called "spot free rinse".  You can actually buy deionized water, or a deionizing filter for your regular tap water, and just use it for a final rinse after washing the bike with your choice of automotive detergents (I personally like Blue Coral, but there are many other brands that work just as well).  The small deionizing filter in the Mr. Clean unit only lasts for maybe 3 washes; it would probably be more cost effective over time to use a DI filter in a whole house filter housing to perform a final rinse.  One example of a readily available DI filter that fits common housings: http://www.waterfiltersonline.com/detail.asp?product_id=USF_PCF1-10MB

Jerry
but, also the soap in mr clean says with dry rinse palymer????

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 10:39:51 PM »

[highlight]but, also the soap in mr clean says with dry rinse polymer???? [/highlight]
I know, but you will find that many of the other commercially available car detergents also promote sheeting action.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

twincam

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 10:59:38 PM »

Jerry, I know your not knocking the product, and any cost affective advice is great by me...... I am hearing you. and learning from what you are saying. hell, I don'tt even know what a polymer is....... looked up the definition and still don't know??/? seems to me by the def, it about everything ;D..... any advice is well takin bro.twincam
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 24 queries.