Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: GM 6.6(gas)  (Read 3264 times)

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
GM 6.6(gas)
« on: August 04, 2020, 08:55:30 PM »

Does anyone have any experience with the new 6.6L gas engine? We are toying around with the idea of getting a new truck. I want a 3/4 ton but having a hard time justifying the $10k plus for a diesel and the extra maintenance costs as well. Can't find find to many reviews about the new engines.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: GM 6.6(gas)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 10:59:49 AM »

Get a Ford.

Jerry ;)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 01:35:38 PM »

Stay with the 6.6L Chevrolet, its a verison of GM LS series which is probably best long life engine ever. Drove a new 20 Series 6.6 with 10 Speed auto, it was awesome. Trans is amazing, always seems to be in right gear & rpm range it needs to be in, throttle response at all speeds and loads so great. Like no gas engine truck I ever experienced.
Sorry Jerry

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 02:24:48 PM »

Get a Ford.

Jerry ;)

Like the 6.0L PowerStroke?   :D (I have one so I can laugh).

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 02:26:13 PM »

Does anyone have any experience with the new 6.6L gas engine? We are toying around with the idea of getting a new truck. I want a 3/4 ton but having a hard time justifying the $10k plus for a diesel and the extra maintenance costs as well. Can't find find to many reviews about the new engines.

On a serious note, if you are towing, the diesel is always the better option.   :oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 10:07:31 PM »

It would be used to tow a toy hauler. It wouldn't be towing every weekend or anything like that so that's why I am thinking the gas. Plus all the extra cost in maintenance. I have a friend that is a mechanic and he said if I wasn't towing all the time gas would be fine. We don't drive our truck now as a daily (2012 with 54k miles) and the same mechanic said leaving a diesel sit like that isn't good for it. I personally am not brand loyal but Kathy prefers GM vehicles.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 08:32:48 AM »

I own a 6.7 Ford Diesel. This is the 4th Ford I have owned with this motor. It is worth every penny. I put 100K on each one before trading them in. The new 2020 6.7 is even better. With new designed block, crank and rods. It is 475 HP out of the box and I believe 1000 ft of TQ. I have never looked back at Chevrolet or Dodge since my first 6.7

If you are set on a gas engine. Ford has a 7.3 gas and yes they all have the 10 speed automatic.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 10:01:36 AM »

100% agree. $10k+ for a diesel is money you won't recover. You can give me the resale argument all day long but it's a non-issue for me. The last stop for my cars/ trucks is the salvage yard. $hitloads of people buy cars/ trucks (and bikes) with the intent on trading them in at a milage mark to avoid doing any complex maintenance. GOD bless them, those people keep our economy going strong! They also supply the rest of us with great used vehicles for a fraction of new. Buy that big gas engine (gas is $1.88 in my town today) and put that $10k towards some other toys (motorcycle/ boat/ fast car/ boob job for your wife and/or girlfriend).

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 10:25:00 AM »

100% agree. $10k+ for a diesel is money you won't recover. You can give me the resale argument all day long but it's a non-issue for me. The last stop for my cars/ trucks is the salvage yard. $hitloads of people buy cars/ trucks (and bikes) with the intent on trading them in at a milage mark to avoid doing any complex maintenance. GOD bless them, those people keep our economy going strong! They also supply the rest of us with great used vehicles for a fraction of new. Buy that big gas engine (gas is $1.88 in my town today) and put that $10k towards some other toys (motorcycle/ boat/ fast car/ boob job for your wife and/or girlfriend).

Most of the economic arguments for diesels were formulated back in the days of expensive gasoline and dirt cheap diesel.  Now that the fuel industry has jacked the price of diesel beyond the price of regular gasoline in many cases, a significant part of that old argument has flown out the window.  Also, the typical gasoline engine these days runs over 100k with nothing more than routine scheduled maintenance, cutting into another diesel advantage from the old days.  However, when you need huge amounts of torque down low, the diesel remains king of the hill.  If someone needs that kind of pulling power and plans to keep the truck for a decade, a very good argument can still be made for the diesel.  If someone just plans to tow a trailer once or twice a year for vacations, and doesn't mind stopping more often for fuel, and doesn't plan to keep the truck forever, the modern big gas engines may be the more economical choice.  Each person needs to run the numbers for his own situation, not just assume a twenty year old recommendation is still valid.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

*58Vette

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond w/Crimson Tag Graphics
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 04:17:25 PM »

All true, but 15mpg compared to 30mpg; lets you go twice as far between fill-ups.  So you spend a lot less time at the gas pump.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 06:56:45 AM »

Get a Ford.

Jerry ;)
Worst vehicle mistake I ever made.  My 2017 F-150 Platinum Crew Cab is sitting in the Ford dealer right now.  Ring gear shot, Pinion gear shot, both spyder gears shot, current estimate is 2900.00 dollars.  Truck has max tow package and has towed my 5000 boat 4 times less then 100 miles total.  Truck has 61,600 miles on it.  Power train warranty is 60,000 miles.

I have had 5 GM trucks, every one went over 150,000 miles with out a major failure.    the 89 1500 had 320,000 for its first failure, a transmission. 

Every car or truck my wife and I have owned had made it over 150K with out a major failure, heck her Range Rover has 181K miles on it, and I have less then 1000 in repairs in those miles.

If Ford does not make this right, its my First and Last Ford.  I will cancel my reservation for the 2021 Bronco also.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2020, 08:21:00 AM »

I know all the old sayings about the gas and diesel debate. I would really like a diesel but, the repair cost are higher if something breaks, the initial purchase price is higher. Also the toy hauler we are looking at getting weighs 5,700lbs so i figure after the bikes and gear is loaded somewhere around 8,000lbs then and a gas would do just fine with that. If we where going to be full timers then a diesel for sure, but since we have quite a few years before we retire and the few times a year we will be pulling the trailer a gas is the way to go right now. But by the time we buy I could change my mind  ;D

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2020, 10:19:23 AM »

All true, but 15mpg compared to 30mpg; lets you go twice as far between fill-ups.  So you spend a lot less time at the gas pump.
It's about 5mpg difference combined city/ hwy driving with NO trailer. When I pull my 25 ft long Aluminum enclosed NEO trailer (3,400 lbs empty) with my gas pick-up MPG depends a lot on MPH. Running from Milwaukee to Daytona with 2 bikes and LOTS of gear I can get 11 MPG at 65 MPH. If we take my friends diesel pick up that number goes to about 14 MPG. Empty trailer vs. full trailer is NO difference. It's all about pushing wind. At 80 MPH my 11 MPG drops to 9 MPG!

Finster101

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2020, 01:21:29 PM »

I'm a GM tech and I won't say anything bad about the diesels if you want to go that route.  With the towing weight you mentioned you can easily stay with a 1500 series truck and get a much better ride and fuel economy.  Equipped properly the GMC Sierra has a 12,100 lb tow rating.

bad00serg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 Springer
    • CVO2: 2009 Springer
    • CVO3: 2020 Ultra Limited
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2020, 08:48:14 AM »

I have a 2020 with the Duramax; had a 2014 Duramax prior to it.  WHAT A TRUCK!  Highly recommend the 2020 HDs, and as mentioned for towing 8K, the gas truck is probably the way to go. In the 8 months I have had it, I have had a good handful of Ford owners stop me to check it out and tell me what a letdown and service problem their Ford is.  I'm not real brand loyal, but the GM trucks have always been great for me, usually keep them to around 100K miles.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.