CVO Technical > Drive Train

Oil Leak?

(1/3) > >>

johnmowcop:
Hello, Bit of advice please
2011 CVO Ultra RoadGlide 48k miles.
Went to get the bike out of the garage this morning, for the first time ever with a Harley (I have had seven of them) there was oil underneath it. It's red so its the redline shockproof I have in the gearbox.
I have to go out today, so left it in the garage. A quick look under seems to me the oil is coming from high up on the horizontal bit of casing above the oil pan on the right hand side. Is there a breather up there?
The only abnormal activity the bike has experiencedis; last weekend (the Friday before)

TN:

--- Quote from: johnmowcop on October 27, 2019, 06:00:42 AM ---Hello, Bit of advice please
2011 CVO Ultra RoadGlide 48k miles.
Went to get the bike out of the garage this morning, for the first time ever with a Harley (I have had seven of them) there was oil underneath it. It's red so its the redline shockproof I have in the gearbox.
I have to go out today, so left it in the garage. A quick look under seems to me the oil is coming from high up on the horizontal bit of casing above the oil pan on the right hand side. Is there a breather up there?
The only abnormal activity the bike has experiencedis; last weekend (the Friday before)

--- End quote ---

You mean on the primary side? If so there are a few places that fluid could leak from, shifter shaft, drive gear seal, etc
there is a vent on the top cover of transmission.

Good luck and keep us informed

there is a common problem with the lower bolts on clutch actuation cover on right side, exhaust bracket mounting bolts, coming loose and allowing trans fluid to leak out. It's tough to trace down leak at times.

grc:
John, TN is right, if you're talking about the right side as you are sitting on the bike (the side with the rear brake pedal), the number one suspect on that side are the trans side cover bolts that also secure the exhaust hanger bracket.  It was an all-to-common issue some years back. 

Jerry

johnmowcop:
TN and GRC

Thank's each for your replies.

I did not finish my post off, it should have continued with: "The only abnormal activity the bike has experienced is last weekend, (the Friday before), I took the bike to Dynojet UK, they had it on the rolling road to fit and programme a Dynojet Power Vision download (really good results from that I might add). On the dyno they obviously ran it a number of times to engine speeds and loads this bike has never experienced."
That's why I asked about the breathing.
Jerry, yes it is the brake pedal side. ? so is it potentially just a matter of re-tightening the bolts that hold the bracket on or is it likely to be more involved than that.
JohnT

grc:
If the bolts are loose, you could just retighten them but if you want a longer term fix you should remove the bolts, thoroughly degrease them and the threads in the case, then apply a thread locker (medium strength) before reinstalling the bolts.  Unfortunately you will most likely need  to remove the exhaust to get decent access.  Before doing all that you might want to see if you can slip a wrench up to the bolts from the bottom and see if the bolts are actually loose.  Or clean the area thoroughly and go for a ride, then recheck to see if you see signs of fresh leakage.  Leaks can be a pain to track down, but at least the red dye in the Shockproof helps pinpoint it to the trans.  Good luck.

Jerry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version