Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: straw sucking sound  (Read 851 times)

Davestune

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

straw sucking sound
« on: July 15, 2020, 06:13:16 PM »

i had  my lifters replaces to fueling lifters at 18K and a new header put on , anyway.   when i turn the ignition on, the bike makes a slurpling sound , a straw with a hole sucking sound. 
  Has anyone had this sound and is the pickup tube have a hole ?    runs ok   but I have not had the bike tuned yet with the header pipe, 
I only work on pans knuckles and flatheads so have not learned bout these new bikes

bike is a 2016 CVO Limited

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: straw sucking sound
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 07:58:58 PM »

From where is the sound coming?  Inside the gas tank maybe?  If not sure pull the gas cap and listen if that's where it's coming from.  If so hole in a line inside the tank or other issue inside.  Otherwise some idea of where the sound is coming from will be necessary to offer any reliable guidance.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 09:33:31 AM »

When you first turn the ignition on, the fuel pump briefly runs to pressurize the system.  That is a mechanical sound.  If the pump runs more than a second or two, and you hear gurgling or other noises, odds are you have a leak in the fuel system.  It's not just the lines that may develop a hole, but there have also been problems with the fuel filter housing a few years back.  As Twolane recommended, open the gas cap and listen closely as you turn the ignition on.  If you get something other than a very brief whirring noise from the pump, it's time to open things up and take a good look at everything from the pump to the filter and housing to the lines.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 02:47:35 PM »

If you listen when you only have a 1/4 tank of fuel you can hear it better, should the line inside the tank be leaking

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 24 queries.