Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: Is Crank Runout What It Appears To Be?  (Read 13504 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Is Crank Runout What It Appears To Be?
« on: November 15, 2007, 04:43:56 PM »

Ok, my motor's out and apart. Vern measured the runout on the pinion shaft and it was .003" as previously measured. But what about the other side? He measured it on the comp side and it was .007"! :o

As far as I know, that's a total runout of .010"! Here I was thinking that my bottom was halfway decent. I now find out that it sucks!!! How many of us are measuring one side only when we check runout? I don't believe now that we're getting the whole picture. :confused5:

Everything we're doing now seems fully justified to get a REAL engine in my bike! That stock 110 engine is one all-over-the-place POS!!! :smilie_daumenneg:

When you're checking stuff gang, get the complete picture. What you don't know, still might hurt you! ;)

Let's hear from the experts now please. :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
Re: Is Crank Runout What It Appears To Be?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 07:14:38 PM »

had the same thing on a crate 96 inch evo about 5 years ago,,4000 miles on her,,,not just twin cam my friend,,comp side also,,,hmmmmm :-X
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 07:42:44 PM »

I'm not an expert, but I play one on TV.....         :vrolijk_11:
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

sblade1948

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 11:00:07 PM »

Hey Howie, bought new forged crank from Jim's. Runout was .0005 hope after dyno tune was still OK. Motor runs good .1500 Miles so far, keeping my fingers crossed. Bob

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 09:23:36 AM »

Are you going to have the crank welded??
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 09:37:02 AM »

Are you going to have the crank welded??

Nope, I'm using a new Timkin only S&S Forged 4-3/8" Stroker Crank, and doing the Timkin conversion on new HD cases. I'm getting rid of any HD parts in this motor (except the cases) and not looking back! ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 10:44:54 AM »

Nope, I'm using a new Timkin only S&S Forged 4-3/8" Stroker Crank, and doing the Timkin conversion on new HD cases. I'm getting rid of any HD parts in this motor (except the cases) and not looking back! ;)

Hoist! 8)
All that money....why half step?  Go ahead and get the Delkron cases, too.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 11:28:17 AM »

All that money....why half step?  Go ahead and get the Delkron cases, too.

Nobody makes cases for the '06Dyna/'07's/'08's but HD and Jims, or I would have! That's the only reason I got new HD cases for this build JC. ;)

Hoist! 8)

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 01:40:40 PM »

Ok, my motor's out and apart. Vern measured the runout on the pinion shaft and it was .003" as previously measured. But what about the other side? He measured it on the comp side and it was .007"! :o

As far as I know, that's a total runout of .010"! Here I was thinking that my bottom was halfway decent. I now find out that it sucks!!! How many of us are measuring one side only when we check runout? I don't believe now that we're getting the whole picture. :confused5:

Everything we're doing now seems fully justified to get a REAL engine in my bike! That stock 110 engine is one all-over-the-place POS!!! :smilie_daumenneg:

When you're checking stuff gang, get the complete picture. What you don't know, still might hurt you! ;)

Let's hear from the experts now please. :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
                  Hoist,
So when you do he primary side  do you put the cam cover backin place so you get an honest reading?? just curious.
                        Happy

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 01:58:19 PM »

Hoist,
So when you do he primary side  do you put the cam cover backin place so you get an honest reading?? just curious.
                        Happy

Not quite sure, but I don't think so. I assume he checked the runouts after he took things apart, just before he pulled the motor out of the bike. I'll ask how he took the measurements. Thanks.

Hoist! 8)

dejavo

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 03:13:07 PM »

Well Hoist you have the right idea. Use nothing harley if possible. I had a good builder for my 113 and he made the mistake of using the harley cylindars. Yah we did timken yah we balanced and welded crank yah we decked cylindar tops. We used harley head gaskets. About 5000 mi -- leak. Rebuilt using cometic , and the head gaskets are fine .About 5000 mi more base is leaking. Also know that the cylindars are flexing.
I am pulling the plug. I love the awesome power on this engine but I ride cross country far from home. Got to have a ride I can rely on. I am keeping my old reliable 04 flhtcse with its moderately rebuilt 103, but my 07 yellow monster is going. Im welcomming a k1200gt to my stable for long hauls.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 03:18:46 PM »

Well Hoist you have the right idea. Use nothing harley if possible. I had a good builder for my 113 and he made the mistake of using the harley cylindars. Yah we did timken yah we balanced and welded crank yah we decked cylindar tops. We used harley head gaskets. About 5000 mi -- leak. Rebuilt using cometic , and the head gaskets are fine .About 5000 mi more base is leaking. Also know that the cylindars are flexing.
I am pulling the plug. I love the awesome power on this engine but I ride cross country far from home. Got to have a ride I can rely on. I am keeping my old reliable 04 flhtcse with its moderately rebuilt 103, but my 07 yellow monster is going. Im welcomming a k1200gt to my stable for long hauls.

Well, you've gone this far. You can get 4.06" Axtell Barrels, that use a Base Gasket design, not the O-ring, and put it back together using the existing 4.06" pistons. It'd be a shame to love the bike, have gone as far as you have, then bail on it, when one more fix will probably do the trick. Good luck with it mr! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 03:26:03 PM »

I'm not an expert, but I play one on TV.....         :vrolijk_11:

I'm not either, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!  :D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 03:28:20 PM by Talon »

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 03:47:52 PM »

I'm not either, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!  :D

Talon

You may not be but you saved me 17K and it wasn't on bike insurance!

thanks!

S
  /
    B

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 04:30:07 PM »

Talon

You may not be but you saved me 17K and it wasn't on bike insurance!

thanks!

S
  /
    B

No I didn't because you spent it anyway!!! How's the new bike?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007, 07:21:51 PM »

Nobody makes cases for the '06Dyna/'07's/'08's but HD and Jims, or I would have! That's the only reason I got new HD cases for this build JC. ;)

Hoist! 8)

Thanks for the education Howie......didn't know that. 

Man, not only does Harley have to come out with a better paint job than the 04/05 SEEGs, they also have to come out with a better motor if they expect me to go newer.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2007, 08:02:13 PM »

No I didn't because you spent it anyway!!! How's the new bike?

Actually I was looking for second one to have a matching set.
You know the drill.
If Nancy ain't happy ain't nobody happy!

On my SERG, it went to the doctor today.
Just a check up and fine tune.
A really fine tune.
Should get it back on the 26th.
Nothin any finer than to be in Carolina with a fine running stock SERG.

And Talon,
Thanks for all your help.
If it had been nice I was going to call Todd and see what he could do.

S
  /
    B

:2vrolijk_21:

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2007, 09:11:36 PM »

mrootberg, the runout was checked on the truing stand. That means the runout is even worse than can ever be expected IMO. Completely unacceptable runout. The flywheel assembly in these motors are pure crap! I'll bet that you can pull a crank from any 110 and check it, and find that you shouldn't be running a motor with them. Yet we're all running these motors. Be aware everyone. These motors appear to all be ticking time bombs! :smilie_daumenneg:

On that note, my new S&S flywheels showed up today. They look like an excellent quality product. They were put on the truing stand and measure .0000" on the comp side and .0005"  on the pinion side! That's what I'm talking about. They'll spend a few days on the truing stand to see if they're stable or change any, before the bottom end is assembled. :2vrolijk_21:

HD if your reading this, how can you not be totally embarrassed with the junk you make these motors from. And then not care enough that to fix the mess. Just change the specs instead! And ya'll wonder why there won't be one HD part in my new motor! I think it's painfully obvious to all by now! ::)

So the process begins to build a totally reliable bulletproof 110" engine. Not rocket science. Only careful enough to use the best parts, and care enough to assemble it correctly. You've been doing it long enough HD. Don't claim ignorance now, and say you don't know why these engines have problems. Take one apart and see what crap it really is. You guys know damn well what you need to do to fix it. Care enough to spend the $$$ to build a proper engine. Period. Charge more if you have to. That way your precious shareholders will still get their vig. You'll actually maintain a good reputation instead of the lousy one you have now!

All right, getting off my :soapbox: now. But ya'll should be getting awful pissed by reading this. You're all affected by it whether you know it or not, like it or not! >:(

Hoist! 8)

dejavo

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2007, 03:37:32 PM »

Hoist you are doing it the right way. About what you said above, it isn't a soap box. Anyone who has had a 110 that they ride more then bar to bar, or anyone who has seen this forum more then once has to say AMEN.
I also want to thank all of you on this site who have shared knowledge and or experiences. You are all a wealth of info. Hell , I almost got it right by paing attention. 
Close ain't good enough ! :( :( :(

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2007, 03:46:03 PM »

Hoist you are doing it the right way. About what you said above, it isn't a soap box. Anyone who has had a 110 that they ride more then bar to bar, or anyone who has seen this forum more then once has to say AMEN.
I also want to thank all of you on this site who have shared knowledge and or experiences. You are all a wealth of info. Hell , I almost got it right by paing attention. 
Close ain't good enough ! :( :( :(

Thanks mr! Close ain't good enough is right! And enough is enough as well! Hope these HD cases can handle it. That'll be the only HD part that's left in it now! ;)

Best of luck to ya mr! :drink:

Hoist! 8)

BAKRDS

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2007, 04:51:58 PM »

You guys are making me feel good about deciding to keep my '04 SEEG instead of pooping for a new one.
'10 SESG
 '65 FLH

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2007, 04:58:30 PM »

You guys are making me feel good about deciding to keep my '04 SEEG instead of pooping for a new one.

:huepfenlol2: :oops: :ROFLOL:

Black_Dog

• Full CVO Member
  • CVO Forum Member #157
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »

I was about to buy my other half a 2008 FXDSE but now I'm not.  My Pumpkin will stay forever but I really need to upgrade the wife's bike.  Thanks for the input on the 110's, this is the best CVO sight around.

One question, does the 96" and the 110" use the same crank?

Tom :pumpkin:
2004 FLHTCSE

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2007, 08:46:30 PM »

I was about to buy my other half a 2008 FXDSE but now I'm not.  My Pumpkin will stay forever but I really need to upgrade the wife's bike.  Thanks for the input on the 110's, this is the best CVO sight around.

Tom, fess up!

That would be your bike.

Milly would want a windshield.

Don't be trying to kid us!

When you coming back to Charlotte?

:nixweiss:

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Black_Dog

• Full CVO Member
  • CVO Forum Member #157
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2007, 08:57:20 PM »

Chip

I'm building a new plant there right now but had to slow the project down do to the fact that our largest customer up in Statesville has taken a 45% slid in sales.

Any suggestion on a bike for MAP, maybe I should go used and do rebuild, I was going to pickup the FXDSE Monday, I'm not sure how my dealer will take the news but it's my money.

Tom  :pumpkin: 
2004 FLHTCSE

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2007, 09:05:22 PM »

Chip

I'm building a new plant there right now but had to slow the project down do to the fact that our largest customer up in Statesville has taken a 45% slid in sales.

Any suggestion on a bike for MAP, maybe I should go used and do rebuild, I was going to pickup the FXDSE Monday, I'm not sure how my dealer will take the news but it's my money.

Tom  :pumpkin: 

Tom

you got a pm

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2007, 08:29:35 AM »

Tom,

Same crankshaft is used for '07 and later 96, 103, 110.  Have read of the same crank runout issues on stock 96 inchers. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

• CVO1: Razor Red '07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: Red & Slate '10 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2007, 03:31:13 PM »

Getting back to Hoist's original question about measuring runout on both ends of the crank -I think it could be a necessity. On my bike the dealer measured .009" of runout on the pinion end of the crank. Not good, but not bad enough to qualify for a new crankshaft.  Then they took a measurement on the compensator end and found .020" of runout. The Mo Co authorized replacement of the crankshaft, cylinders, and rings but no new engine. When they got the crank out and measured it on a truing stand the maximum runout they found was .014".

I think Hoist is on the right track to have the runout checked on both ends of the crank because they won't necessarily be the same. On the other hand it doesn't look like we can just add the two runout measurements together to get the total -at least based on the limited information from the measurements of my old crank.

BTW the new crank showed .001" runout on the truing stand before installation. I had the new crank balanced, but no Timken conversion or welding. The dealer said any other modifications to the engine would void the w.....ty, and while I would really like to take a route similar to Hoist's I'm not ready to foot the bill for any future w.....ty problems. It will be interesting to see if the new crank stays at .001" runout, or if it will change as we put more miles on it.

Score so far:
Head gaskets replaced 3 times
Both cylinders replaced 2 times
Rings replaced 2 times
Crankshaft replaced once

Approx. 300 miles since latest work, and have oil weeping at base of rear cylinder.
The bike has a little over 10k miles total, and about 10 months left on the original w.....ty.

I love my FLHRSE3, but the engine problems are starting to get a little depressing!  :(
S&S T124
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
VP-016-340 Centrifugal Clutch kit
S&S PowerTune Duals w/Rinehart Touring Mufflers
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

Black_Dog

• Full CVO Member
  • CVO Forum Member #157
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2007, 09:25:01 PM »

Thanks Jerry, I learn more every day.

2004 FLHTCSE

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2007, 09:43:40 PM »

Howie, Thanks for the insight of another area I need to address for my winter build. Now that my scoot has developed the dreaded rear cylinder head leak, I am looking into replacing the entire top end with RevPref or Axtell cylinders, different heads as the 110's are CHIT. While they are putting in the timkins', I have em check the crank on a truing stand, both ends.

I do not believe I will buy a new Harley ever again. Thank God I kept my old ones.  Hey MoCo  Kiss this!

JW

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2007, 09:49:56 PM »

Howie, Thanks for the insight of another area I need to address for my winter build. Now that my scoot has developed the dreaded rear cylinder head leak, I am looking into replacing the entire top end with RevPref or Axtell cylinders, different heads as the 110's are CHIT. While they are putting in the timkins', I have em check the crank on a truing stand, both ends.

I do not believe I will buy a new Harley ever again. Thank God I kept my old ones.  Hey MoCo  Kiss this!

JW

B/D

Before you throw that "chit" away let me know. I have a use for the heads!

But I'm with you about the new Harley!

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2007, 09:53:08 PM »

B/D

Before you throw that "chit" away let me know. I have a use for the heads!

But I'm with you about the new Harley!

Hmmm, surely you wouldn't be changing anything on your stock SERG?? :shocked2: Or you going to build one of those slightly modified SERG 95ci motors. :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2007, 09:57:58 PM »

Hmmm, surely you wouldn't be changing anything on your stock SERG?? :shocked2: Or you going to build one of those slightly modified SERG 95ci motors. :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Looking for a pontoon boat (for Nancy) for the spring and figured if I could score an anchor now I better go for it.
SERG staying stock, just like all SERG's are!
Who you know that's got one that's not?  :nixweiss:

:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2007, 10:01:47 PM »

S/B   I'll keep you in mind.  I do not believe I'll be using the 110 heads as they do not work with the cams I am looking at for making tq/hp in the rpm range I am looking at.

I'd like to find some SE Performance Heads (new style) to see if they might do the trick. Like to keep "Screamin Eagle" flying on top of the motor if I can. Reliability first.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2007, 10:04:08 PM »

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Looking for a pontoon boat (for Nancy) for the spring and figured if I could score an anchor now I better go for it.
SERG staying stock, just like all SERG's are!
Who you know that's got one that's not?  :nixweiss:

:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X
Uhh, mmmm. Does slightly modified count? I think the lowers have been removed. :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2007, 10:05:03 PM »

Anchors  LOL   and I thought they were worthless!  ;D

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2007, 10:08:24 PM »

S/B   I'll keep you in mind.  I do not believe I'll be using the 110 heads as they do not work with the cams I am looking at for making tq/hp in the rpm range I am looking at.

I'd like to find some SE Performance Heads (new style) to see if they might do the trick. Like to keep "Screamin Eagle" flying on top of the motor if I can. Reliability first.

OK

I was just kidding about the boat anchors! :o
Do have a motor they can go on. With a chit load of work done to them.
Can't use them on the SERG, gotta maintain that stock appearance. (thank's dOOd) ???

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2007, 12:59:51 AM »

Getting back to Hoist's original question about measuring runout on both ends of the crank -I think it could be a necessity. On my bike the dealer measured .009" of runout on the pinion end of the crank. Not good, but not bad enough to qualify for a new crankshaft.  Then they took a measurement on the compensator end and found .020" of runout. The Mo Co authorized replacement of the crankshaft, cylinders, and rings but no new engine. When they got the crank out and measured it on a truing stand the maximum runout they found was .014".

I think Hoist is on the right track to have the runout checked on both ends of the crank because they won't necessarily be the same. On the other hand it doesn't look like we can just add the two runout measurements together to get the total -at least based on the limited information from the measurements of my old crank.

BTW the new crank showed .001" runout on the truing stand before installation. I had the new crank balanced, but no Timken conversion or welding. The dealer said any other modifications to the engine would void the w.....ty, and while I would really like to take a route similar to Hoist's I'm not ready to foot the bill for any future w.....ty problems. It will be interesting to see if the new crank stays at .001" runout, or if it will change as we put more miles on it.

Score so far:
Head gaskets replaced 3 times
Both cylinders replaced 2 times
Rings replaced 2 times
Crankshaft replaced once

Approx. 300 miles since latest work, and have oil weeping at base of rear cylinder.
The bike has a little over 10k miles total, and about 10 months left on the original w.....ty.

I love my FLHRSE3, but the engine problems are starting to get a little depressing!  :(

It's good to see you guys getting with the program. They decided to come out with the best bike they ever made in the SERK 3/4, then ruined our experience with this POS engine! And the people who can't deal with it will get rid of the best bike HD ever made because they got motor issues! If you guys truly know how good the bike you're on is, don't get rid of it. FTF!!! Fix the damn motor yourself. It aint rocket science. Get rid of every POS HD part in the '06 Dyna/'07's/'08's engines, and build a real motor. That's all it takes to turn that frown into a smile. And when you're done, you can laugh in the face of the MoCo morons who thought we'd ever buy another new bike. I'll never need one after I fix the crap that they claim is normal!!! FTF!!! FTW!!! And the only thing normal is to tell them they can shove that w.....ty up their ass, and you'll never buy another new bike from them, after bleeding Black and Orange for years!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Hoist! 8)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2007, 10:39:15 AM »

It's good to see you guys getting with the program. They decided to come out with the best bike they ever made in the SERK 3/4, then ruined our experience with this POS engine! And the people who can't deal with it will get rid of the best bike HD ever made because they got motor issues! If you guys truly know how good the bike you're on is, don't get rid of it. FTF!!! Fix the damn motor yourself. It aint rocket science. Get rid of every POS HD part in the '06 Dyna/'07's/'08's engines, and build a real motor. That's all it takes to turn that frown into a smile. And when you're done, you can laugh in the face of the MoCo morons who thought we'd ever buy another new bike. I'll never need one after I fix the crap that they claim is normal!!! FTF!!! FTW!!! And the only thing normal is to tell them they can shove that w.....ty up their ass, and you'll never buy another new bike from them, after bleeding Black and Orange for years!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Hoist! 8)

Engine.  Yeah, that's all that needed work.  The bags weren't too small, the suspension didn't blow.  The seat wasnt' inadequate.  The brakes didn't come off.  The tires lasted forever.  The..... well, best bike ever built.  Home built that is.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2007, 10:49:43 AM »

Engine.  Yeah, that's all that needed work.  The bags weren't too small, the suspension didn't blow.  The seat wasnt' inadequate.  The brakes didn't come off.  The tires lasted forever.  The..... well, best bike ever built.  Home built that is.

Oh, c'mon Don, that's minor stuff, and part of everyday life with a new HD! The bags were useless, yes, but an easy fix. All HD suspension sucks, and always had. Same with the brakes. You need the right bike to be willing to do all that stuff to it in the first place. The entire motor shouldn't have been part of the equation though. That was the only real surprise! ;)

Hoist! 8)

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2007, 10:53:09 AM »

Oh, c'mon Don, that's minor stuff, and part of everyday life with a new HD! The bags were useless, yes, but an easy fix. All HD suspension sucks, and always had. Same with the brakes. You need the right bike to be willing to do all that stuff to it in the first place. The entire motor shouldn't have been part of the equation though. That was the only real surprise! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Shoulda bought a V-Rod, i'm not hardly changing anything

Well...just
1..Seat
2. Passenger Seat
3. Exhaust
4. ECM
5. Handlebars
6 Brake levers
7. air filter

sighs...I'm really depressed.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2007, 10:55:14 AM »

Shoulda bought a V-Rod, i'm not hardly changing anything

Well...just
1..Seat
2. Passenger Seat
3. Exhaust
4. ECM
5. Handlebars
6 Brake levers
7. air filter

sighs...I'm really depressed.

All for JD's comfort and safety, right Ken? ::) ;D

Hoist! 8)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2007, 10:55:52 AM »

Hoist! 8)

I'm just saying.....

For everything you've had to do or chose to do you could've bought a rolling chassis, picked some paint and built the rest.  It's really not a Harley any more than it is a Howie.  Not saying that's not as it should be.  Love it as you do, it's hardly been the example of a "perfect" bike; even as a starting platform.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2007, 10:57:40 AM »

Hoist! 8)

when JD first saw this bike....she says---I WANT THAT!!!..And we can change the seat...and the exhaust...etc etc...WHAT A STARTING PLATFORM she exclaimed!

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2007, 11:00:43 AM »

I'm just saying.....

It's really not a Harley any more than it is a Howie. 

Don

When is a Howie not a Howie?
That one has me puzzled?
 :nixweiss:    :nixweiss:    :nixweiss:

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2007, 11:03:24 AM »

I'm just saying.....

For everything you've had to do or chose to do you could've bought a rolling chassis, picked some paint and built the rest.  It's really not a Harley any more than it is a Howie.  Not saying that's not as it should be.  Love it as you do, it's hardly been the example of a "perfect" bike; even as a starting platform.

My touring bike has been a RK, 5 since '95. They've always been a good starting platform. And this is the best RK they made. Albeit, the crappiest RK motor ever. But the best RK platform! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2007, 11:04:20 AM »

Don

When is a Howie not a Howie?
That one has me puzzled?
 :nixweiss:    :nixweiss:    :nixweiss:

No Chip, no.  Puzzled is the other guy.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2007, 11:06:47 AM »

My touring bike has been a RK, 5 since '95. They've always been a good starting platform. And this is the best RK they made. Albeit, the crappiest RK motor ever. But the best RK platform! ;)

Hoist! 8)

mas·och·ism    (ms-kzm) KEY 

NOUN:

1) The deriving of sexual gratification, or the tendency to derive sexual gratification, from being physically or emotionally abused by Harley Davidson.
2) The deriving of pleasure, or the tendency to derive pleasure, from being humiliated or mistreated, either by another or by oneself because of one's Harley Davidson
3) A willingness or tendency to subject oneself to unpleasant or trying experiences workong on one's Harley Davidson.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2007, 11:10:32 AM »

No Chip, no.  Puzzled is the other guy.

Does that mean?

OMG

Howie is really Puzzled, the guy with a SERG

A full dresser and tour pak and a real windshield and (GASP) a radio. :o

All right! :2vrolijk_21:

I'm selling mine, Howie(Puzzled) has stepped from the dark side!

Don, I will PM you the price!

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2007, 11:12:51 AM »

Does that mean?

OMG

Howie is really Puzzled,

Ain't that the truth  :huepfenlol2:  !   (yeah, I luvya man!)

Don, I will PM you the price!

Gotta love it when a plan comes together :bananarock: .

JesterDecor

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2007, 11:18:49 AM »

when JD first saw this bike....she says---I WANT THAT!!!..And we can change the seat...and the exhaust...etc etc...WHAT A STARTING PLATFORM she exclaimed!

I TOTALLY said that! He can't remember my birthday but he can quote my first words about the Vrod, just WOW!!  :love_3:
I like shiny stuff!

JesterDecor

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2007, 11:20:19 AM »

Hoist! 8)

*smirks*  :P
I like shiny stuff!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2007, 11:28:21 AM »

mas·och·ism    (ms-kzm) KEY 

NOUN:

1) The deriving of sexual gratification, or the tendency to derive sexual gratification, from being physically or emotionally abused by Harley Davidson.
2) The deriving of pleasure, or the tendency to derive pleasure, from being humiliated or mistreated, either by another or by oneself because of one's Harley Davidson
3) A willingness or tendency to subject oneself to unpleasant or trying experiences workong on one's Harley Davidson.

I guess we're all masochists then, huh? ::) ;D

Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2007, 11:30:20 AM »

*smirks*  :P

:-*  ;)

You guys have a great trip to FL! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2007, 11:32:33 AM »

Is anybody working today?
 :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2007, 11:33:58 AM »

trying hard not to, only partialy sucsessful though
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2007, 11:36:45 AM »

I'm in, that's why I'm here. 

You don't think I would communicate with yall from home, do ya?

Miker

JesterDecor

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2007, 11:41:37 AM »

:-*  ;)

You guys have a great trip to FL! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Will do Hoistie! And since we're having to trailer the "girl", to show my support I'm gonna wear my full face helmet in the truck!  :P
I like shiny stuff!

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2007, 11:43:24 AM »

Will do Hoistie! And since we're having to trailer the "girl", to show my support I'm gonna wear my full face helmet in the truck!  :P

Is that all your wearing?

KEN

you dog

Your plan worked

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2007, 11:44:10 AM »

How do you drink from your mug with that helmet on? :nixweiss: ;D

Hoist! 8)

JesterDecor

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2007, 11:44:57 AM »

How do you drink from your mug with that helmet? :nixweiss: ;D

Hoist! 8)

Got me the kind that flips up  :huepfenlol2: Priorities ya know!!
I like shiny stuff!

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2007, 11:45:45 AM »

I'm in, that's why I'm here. 

You don't think I would communicate with yall from home, do ya?

Miker

I work from home.   Man, you guys are a bad influence........

JesterDecor

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2007, 11:46:05 AM »

Is that all your wearing?

KEN

you dog

Your plan worked

HHMMMMMMMM someone's in the DOGhouse anyway!!  :P
I like shiny stuff!

JesterDecor

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2007, 11:46:58 AM »

I work from home.   Man, you guys are a bad influence........

:) Does that mean our "work" HERE is done??  :P
I like shiny stuff!

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2007, 11:48:44 AM »

I'm never done.  It's like bailing a sinking ship with a teaspoon......

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2007, 11:50:15 AM »

And i'm riding on the V while it's on the trailer, just to keep here company. WAIT..what does any of this have to do with crank runout?  :jack:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2007, 11:51:08 AM »

Is anybody working today?
 :nixweiss: :nixweiss:
Oh No!!! Did he say that "W" word. :nervous: :huepfenlol2: Let's see I'm off this week, go back and work two more cycles (11/28, 11/30, 12/2, 12/7, 12/9, 12/11) then off until 1/9. Life is good. :huepfenjump3:

Oh, and just to :jack: some it's going to be in the 60's today, and 70's tomorrow. :huepfenjump3: :orange: :carrot:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

JesterDecor

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2007, 11:52:33 AM »

I'm never done.  It's like bailing a sinking ship with a teaspoon......

I hear ya. I don't have a boat, so I liken it to the laundry being done or keeping the pantries full? So HogBreath can research Vrod accessories!! VROOOOOOMMMMM

:huepfenlol2:
I like shiny stuff!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2007, 11:53:02 AM »

Oh No!!! Did he say that "W" word. :nervous: :huepfenlol2: Let's see I'm off this week, go back and work two more cycles (11/28, 11/30, 12/2, 12/7, 12/9, 12/11) then off until 1/9. Life is good. :huepfenjump3:

Oh, and just to :jack: some it's going to be in the 60's today, and 70's tomorrow. :huepfenjump3: :orange: :carrot:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

d00d, this was  :jack: a long time ago. ::)

Hoist! ::)

JesterDecor

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2007, 11:54:16 AM »

And i'm riding on the V while it's on the trailer, just to keep here company. WAIT..what does any of this have to do with crank runout?  :jack:

Ummmmm, no, but I read that as runout being cranky if we had to work???  :nixweiss:
I like shiny stuff!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2007, 12:01:24 PM »

I was sure when I looked at this post I was going to see a picture of you at your desk w/your helmet on. :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman;
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

JesterDecor

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2007, 12:28:43 PM »

I was sure when I looked at this post I was going to see a picture of you at your desk w/your helmet on. :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman;

hahaha..that COULD be arranged, though I fear that instead of mere suspicion that I'm not really working, that would confirm I wasn't. Gotta keep up appearances (helmet-less ones, sadly)  :P
I like shiny stuff!
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.372 seconds with 24 queries.