CVO Technical > Wheels/Tires/Suspension/Brakes

warped rotors

<< < (2/8) > >>

FLSTFI Dave:

--- Quote from: Cvostu on May 17, 2020, 10:19:51 AM ---I had to go replace mine on a 19 CVO rg at 7000 miles also.  First time ever I had to do that.  It was covered under warranty and no questions were asked.    I think the new roters just suck and don't last.  I don't have any idea why.   ???  Stuart

--- End quote ---

New rotors are junk, I'm sure made by the very lowest bidder.  Between my wife and I we have had 14 new Harley's since 2009.  My 09 CVO had rotors replaced once and was told it had to due with original software version for ABS.  No other bike has had rotors replaced, all but two went over 45K miles.

My 19 CVO Road glide is on its 4th set of rotors, second front wheel.  First set replaced at 6000 miles, then again at 1300 miles and again at 20,500 needed replacement and ordered by dealer, but due to covid not installed until 27K miles.  New rim was put on to see if that is why rotors warp. My bet is by 32000 miles I will need rotors again.

Sad that I need rotors more often then tires.   Dealer has checked rims, mounting surfaces, caliper mounts, caliper operation. 

Not sure what to do, but once out of warranty cant afford three sets of front rotors a year.

ltank:
My FXR4 has 96k miles on OEM floating rotors.
My 98 Road King has 68k on OEM non floating rotors
Are the older ones better quality?

J.D.:
HD seems to be designing stuff to "just" work for the casual rider.  As stated many times, most will fail out of warranty.

Best you can do sometimes is look for higher quality aftermarket.  I've found that the NAO pads generate less heat and are easier on the rotors than the more aggressive pads (including OE pads).

SDCVO:
I unfortunately am regularly going through rotors on my Harley's as I brake way to hard. Always replaced under warranty (until it runs out..)

FLSTFI Dave:

--- Quote from: SDCVO on May 18, 2020, 11:11:13 PM ---I unfortunately am regularly going through rotors on my Harley's as I brake way to hard. Always replaced under warranty (until it runs out..)

--- End quote ---

Out of 14 new Harleys between my wife and I, had rotors replaced once on my 09.  No other bike had rotors replaced, put at least 45K on all but two of them.

My 19, well it needs new rotors every 6 to 7K miles, more than tires.  I still ride the same.  I really believe its sourcing from cheapest supplier.  Just like my 19 has the only seat that is worn out and looks ragged by 10K miles, cheeper materials. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version