Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to clean/polish wood floors with?  (Read 1704 times)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
What to clean/polish wood floors with?
« on: August 21, 2007, 09:30:53 PM »

Alright, no one's been able to give me or Mrs. tHunDer any good advice on what to clean the wood floors in our house with.  They are in good condition with the floors only having about 3 years of use by an elderly couple.  They just have a few light scuffs and scratches from the movers and painters that have been working in the house recently.  I knew if anyone would be aware of any "Glare for Wood" or "Turtle Wax Oak" products and have the answers to an anal, OCD-type question such as this, the members here would. :2vrolijk_21:

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: What to clean/polish wood floors with?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 09:37:19 PM »

OK Brian

I need more info.

Are they real 3/4 thick hardwood or a laminate floor?  (meaning prefinished or finished on site)

Let me know.

Murphy's Oil Soap will clean them and give them a nice clean finish.

:nixweiss:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 09:46:24 PM by Silver-Black »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 10:51:50 PM »

They are the real thing, not laminate.  I have hear bad things about Murphy's Oil Soap on wood floors, but have used it on cabinets with good results.

Mrs Rooster

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rooster May Crow But The Hen Delivers The Goods!!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 11:00:32 PM »

I have been told not to use Murphy's oil on the floor as it leaves a film and collects dirt. Not sure if I want to say this but after I mop the floors I use windex and wipe with a soft cloth leaves a real nice shine and no extra build up to remove later. This is just my 2cents and my floors do shine.
We are never lost sometimes it just takes longer to get there.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 11:02:27 PM »

You're actually supposed to clean floors? 

(isn't it easier just not looking down?)

mav7266

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 02:32:37 AM »

I have harwood floors throughout the first floor of my house. We usually have to clean and polish every three years. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a hardwood floor cleaner by Bruce's Hardwood Flooring. It does a great job. If your floor has a lot of scratches and scuffs you may have to rub a little, but it does not require too much elbow grease. After you finish cleaning, also get some of the Bruce Poly, and apply. This usually will take about 24 hours drying time, but well worth. When you finish your flooring should look great, similiar to a freshly cleaned basketball court.
Like I stated, this method usually last about every three years before having to re-apply, and clean-up in between the every three year maintenance usually takes a sponge mop with standard cleaning or warm water.

mav7266
Ride Safe! Ride hard! Enjoy Life!!

twincam

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 08:02:51 PM »

redline shockproof !!! oops that was what I tracked in!! ;D

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 08:15:29 PM »

Just had my floors redone I rent a building to a flooring company and he said most all hardwoods now havea water  based poly finish and water and murphy oil soap will over time break the finish down I ruined my floors with that orange glow crap now useing a  poly care  by absolute coatings out of Rochelle NY  works great....

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 08:19:41 PM »

Make note to Brian to get floors cleaned  and polished before leaving for Hot Springs.  :huepfenlol2:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 10:25:29 PM »

I have harwood floors throughout the first floor of my house. We usually have to clean and polish every three years. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a hardwood floor cleaner by Bruce's Hardwood Flooring. It does a great job. If your floor has a lot of scratches and scuffs you may have to rub a little, but it does not require too much elbow grease. After you finish cleaning, also get some of the Bruce Poly, and apply. This usually will take about 24 hours drying time, but well worth. When you finish your flooring should look great, similiar to a freshly cleaned basketball court.
Like I stated, this method usually last about every three years before having to re-apply, and clean-up in between the every three year maintenance usually takes a sponge mop with standard cleaning or warm water.

mav7266

Mav, you da man!  Your description of the Bruce product and results obtained with it, lead us (well, Momma) to give it a try.  She cleaned them and did the poly, both, today.  Worked great, and the floors look as good as new again! :o ;) :)

Thanks, everyone, for the ideas and comments!  I love this place! :2vrolijk_21:

courter

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoying the RIDE!!

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon/Silver
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI Purple/Silver Flames
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 10:33:23 PM »

We found some products at our grocery store (don't laugh) that work great.  They have a cleaner and finish similar to that mentioned above from Bruce's.  Check this link

http://www.hollowayhouse.net/product_list.aspx?cid=2

mav7266

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2007, 12:48:45 AM »

Great Brain,

I am glad it work for you. It has been great on my hardwood floors. Keeping everyone off for the 24 hrs drying time is usually the problem.

Take care!

mav7266
Ride Safe! Ride hard! Enjoy Life!!

pumkinownerswife

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 10:47:43 AM »

Mav, you da man!  Your description of the Bruce product and results obtained with it, lead us (well, Momma) to give it a try.  She cleaned them and did the poly, both, today.  Worked great, and the floors look as good as new again! :o ;) :)

Thanks, everyone, for the ideas and comments!  I love this place! :2vrolijk_21:

:worthless:

pumkinownerswife

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 10:48:47 AM »

I was told to use Windex by the guy that installed ours has anyone heard that before?

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 08:10:28 PM »

I was told to use Windex by the guy that installed ours has anyone heard that before?

Yeah, Mrs Rooster did:

I have been told not to use Murphy's oil on the floor as it leaves a film and collects dirt. Not sure if I want to say this but after I mop the floors I use windex and wipe with a soft cloth leaves a real nice shine and no extra build up to remove later. This is just my 2cents and my floors do shine.

I would think the ammonia would do some serious harm over time, but if installers are saying to use it and people are not having issues, maybe not? :nixweiss:

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.