Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: I'm officially old!  (Read 3449 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: I'm officially old!
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 12:26:18 PM »

:confused5:
I quite understand your logic,  but hope you also (did the math).  Pick a target timeframe out in the future and calc the monthly rate of your SS (if you started drawing it now) and since you say you don't need it,  bag it away maybe getting interest on it too.  How much would be accumulated         VERSUS   waiting until you're 70 and then drawing out the higher amount. ::)
None of us really know how long we will last,  but you could calc the far out date where your (higher) SS monthly totals would finally EXCEED your SS monthly totals if you started taking them now and it will be a loooooooooooong time out there before the higher sum can catch up. :P
Exactly!!!! Waiting doesn't get you more as life span/longevity is against us.... get what you can now for as long as you can.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 12:44:27 PM »

I am getting there and didn't know I could draw SS and still work. I thoguht there was a limit on how much you could earn and still get SS.  My plan is 66 with my wife at 62.5.

FLY-DOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • U.S. Navy (30 years); Delta Air Lines (22 years)
    • FL

• CVO1: FLHXSE3
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 03:04:43 PM »

I am getting there and didn't know I could draw SS and still work. I thoguht there was a limit on how much you could earn and still get SS.  My plan is 66 with my wife at 62.5.

If you draw SS early (before 66) you will get reduced benifits if you earn over a certain amount.  After 66 and you continue to work, you can earn as much as you want with no penalty.  To each their own, I don't need any of my SS now as I'm still working and plan on not drawing until 70 years of age.  I know some say that's a risk as it takes a while to make up the difference in what you would have drawn between 66 and 70.  I don't care, it's my money and I'm already in too high a tax bracket now so I'm letting it ride....everythings a risk.  If I lose because I die early I won't care when I'm 6 feet under.  What's right for me may not be right for another, that's why we don't all ride the same kind of scooter.   :huepfenlol2:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 03:12:05 PM by FLY-DOG »
Current Stable:
2021 BMW R1250 GSA Rallye
2016 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited w/392 Hemi
2012 CVO Street Glide
2007 Mustang GT500
2006 YZ250F

Older Guy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 05:44:16 PM »

You have to live till your 90"s to make it pay, I looked into it and took mine at 62. my buddy kept telling me he would get more at 65. He passed away at age 66.Who knows what can happen at our age you cant plan ahead .Take what life hands you day by day and enjoy what you have.The road is long but has some bad curves in it.
         Older Guy

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2014, 08:40:14 PM »

Officially Old!  I think not!

I am pleased that you will be able to take advantage of a program you have been paying into for a lifetime!  After all the future is uncertain and all we have is a day at a time!  Enjoy each one of them as I know you do!

:2vrolijk_21:

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 10:30:58 PM »

That just what the government is gambling on, that people will continue to delay retirement/ receiving SS benefits until they are older to draw more $$.  I personally would rather draw less over a longer period of time than to get a little more for a shorter time.  Statistics are in their favor or they (the government) would have laid out a different plan.  I guess that you could give consideration to health, family history of disease/cancer and average longevity of family history to help in deciding just when to start receiving benefits but then again, we are not even promised tomorrow. 
Jesus is Lord

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2014, 02:58:21 PM »

I will be 62 next month in may...damn who would have ever thought I would make it this long. I have some investments that produce a little income regardless if I choose to work or not. I am also in relatively good health. I have a decent no stress job. Sooooooo...with all of that being said I think I will go until age 66.
It is true that comparing only SS benefits you have to live a long time to recoup what was not taken at 62. But when you take into account the additional salary you make if you continue to work which may be two or three times SS then it may not be too bad. I guess it depends on how much you like your job and current lifestyle. Right now I like both.   :)
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.