Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: antenna  (Read 4831 times)

hogwander

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
antenna
« on: January 06, 2007, 07:39:25 PM »

Can someone tell me what they do when they remove their tourpack and lose the antenna. Do you take the one off your tourpack? Do you buy an aftermarket antenna? I have seen shorter antennas on ebay and wonder if they are any good. Okay school the newbie. :-/
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 10:12:00 PM by hogwander »
5 P's = Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re:  antenne
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 07:54:40 PM »

Can someone tell me what they do when they remove their tourpack and lose the antenne. Do you take the one off your tourpack? Do you buy an aftermarket antenne? I have seen shorter antennes on ebay and wonder if they are any good. Okay school the newbie. :-/
hogwander,

Basically, you unscrew the antenna mast from the mount on the tour-pak and screw it onto the fender mount.  http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442073939&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302290635&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302290635&bmUID=1168130477169&bmLocale=en_US

As for the short antenna masts, I have the rubber one from Freedom and have found it to be as good as the long whip except for those rare occasions when I find myself in a fringe reception area for the station I'm listening to.  I can easily live with that, versus constantly smacking myself with that long whip when I'm walking around the bike. >:(

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hogwander

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re:  antenna
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 10:02:12 PM »

Thanks Jerry. I just mounted my tourpack antenna for now. I will look into getting one of those short flex antenna later. I walked into my antenna just the other day at the gas station. I know I must have looked pretty silly when I did it. I still had my helmet on so it kind of startled me with the noise.  ;DI have been riding a softail for the last few years so some of the touring equipment is new to me.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 10:12:41 PM by hogwander »

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 12:06:07 AM »

You can buy the rubber antenna at auto zone for less than 6 dollars.

OTIS
Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 12:17:47 AM »

You can buy the rubber antenna at auto zone for less than 6 dollars.
OTIS

What OTIS said if you are only running the radio antenna.  

hogwander

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 05:45:35 PM »

Thanks for the low price information OTIS. I have one of those stores just a few miles away.
(Rjob749) I knew that the shorty antenna wouldn't work for the CB side. I read one of the disclaimers on a website that was advertising for replacement antenna's for bikes.  My bike doesn't have the CB radio so I guess I will go with the shorty. I feel like I can ask the experts and have my answers in no time. If you guys need some answers on Glock pistols I might be able to help otherwise I will just take lessons. This is kind of strange because all day people come to me and ask questions. I work as a high school principal so my days are never and I mean never boring.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 05:51:10 PM by hogwander »

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 06:02:47 PM »

Thanks for the low price information OTIS. I have one of those stores just a few miles away.
(Rjob749) I knew that the shorty antenna wouldn't work for the CB side. I read one of the disclaimers on a website that was advertising for replacement antenna's for bikes.  My bike doesn't have the CB radio so I guess I will go with the shorty. I feel like I can ask the experts and have my answers in no time. If you guys need some answers on [highlight]Glock pistols [/highlight]I might be able to help otherwise I will just take lessons. This is kind of strange because all day people come to me and ask questions. I work as a [highlight]high school principal [/highlight]so my days are never and I mean never boring.

Mmmmm, there must be more details here.  Hopefully these two are not interconnected.  

It is good to have folks like yourself that are willing to take on the challenge of educating our children.  I certainly can understand the never boring part of your job.

hogwander

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 08:51:26 PM »

Mmmmm, there must be more details here.  Hopefully these two are not interconnected.  

It is good to have folks like yourself that are willing to take on the challenge of educating our children.  I certainly can understand the never boring part of your job.

Details:
No these two are not connected directly. My bike and shooting are my stress relievers from my work.  Nothing all that exciting. My life is not typical of most school administrators. I have had a very interesting career and list of jobs getting to where I am today. Let's see... finished high school 1980- coal miner- above ground driller and blaster , Army enlisted cannons 13B, some college, Army Officer School (OCS- we call this the hard way) ,UPS-more college, Army Flight School -Helicopter pilot 15B Huey's UH1H and Bell Jet-rangers OH58, college BS, (the actual degree not the pilot BS that we all tell) Elementary teacher K-5,math coach, Cpt. reserve officer activated to Bosnia, middle school assistant principal, HS assistant principal, Masters in Ed. Admin. (I was a principal while I was working on my masters) HS principal.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 09:06:04 PM by hogwander »

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 11:57:32 PM »

The rangers may have been safer than the HS principal.

OTIS

bluesei2

• HD4me
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 08:29:49 PM »

Back on the shorty antenna....you guys got my curosity aroused.  I had a shorty black rubber antenna that I'd bought for my Silverado a couple of years ago (I think at Advanced Auto Parts).  I installed it  - we ARE a bit out in the country and no doubt at the fringe of reception and there was a noticable degradation in reception, especially AM.  Reception was so poor that I switched back to the whip this morning.   I DID like the way the shorty looked.  Has anyone had any luck with a particular brand of short antenna?  

BlueSEI2

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 11:22:01 PM »

I bought mine at auto zone it works good.

OTIS [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

bluesei2

• HD4me
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 11:23:31 PM »

Thanks Otis.  I sort of figured the Auto Zone and Advanced Auto Parts antenna's were probably very similar but maybe not.  I not even sure we have Auto Zone's here in Northern Virginia.  There were a mess of them in St. Louis when we lived there.  

Best,

BlueSEI2

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 11:42:29 PM »

Thanks Otis.  I sort of figured the Auto Zone and Advanced Auto Parts antenna's were probably very similar but maybe not.  I not even sure we have Auto Zone's here in Northern Virginia.  There were a mess of them in St. Louis when we lived there.  

Best,

BlueSEI2

Blue if you have trouble finding one let me know i can send you one.

OTIS

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 08:48:30 AM »

Thanks Jerry. I just mounted my tourpack antenna for now. I will look into getting one of those short flex antenna later. I walked into my antenna just the other day at the gas station. I know I must have looked pretty silly when I did it. I still had my helmet on so it kind of startled me with the noise.  ;DI have been riding a softail for the last few years so some of the touring equipment is new to me.

When I first removed the TP on my '99 FLHTC, I used the antenna bracket for the Road Glide that mounts down on the fender strut instead of the more expensive Antenna Relocation kit. I simply rerouted the antenna cable to the lower mount and moved the whip.

Several times, when riding on the interstate to work, I would hear a loud "crack" like a rock smacking into the windshield of a car. I had no idea where it came from. I wasn't behind anyone and didn't have a clue. "Crack" I heard it again. I was starting to get worried and kind of hid down behind the windshield so I wouldn't get hit with anything.

Long story short, it was the ball on the end of the antenna swinging to and for, and coming forward and whacking into my helmet. I finally figured it out one day when the sun was right and I could see the shadow of the antenna flopping all over the place.

I quickly replaced the long whip with a 16" cheapy I got at Pep Boys that has the antenna material formed into a coil at the base for some springy action. The reception around town is fine, but would probably be lacking out in nowheresville. The antenna almost disappears being black and mounting between the saddle bag and fender. It's pretty stealthy.

I want to do something similar with the new bike, but want to run the antenna up through the fill-in strips similar to the Street Glide. This will take a custom bracket since the Street Glide fill in strips are not the same as ours.

I'll make sure to post pics when I get this one figured out because I think it will look pretty trick.

Chief

bluesei2

• HD4me
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 01:41:38 PM »

Otis,

Thanks for the offer to send along the antenna.  I'll scout around a little here first and will let you know if I need some help, but I do very much appreciate the kind offer.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Blue

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 02:17:08 PM »

When I first removed the TP on my '99 FLHTC, I used the antenna bracket for the Road Glide that mounts down on the fender strut instead of the more expensive Antenna Relocation kit. I simply rerouted the antenna cable to the lower mount and moved the whip.

Several times, when riding on the interstate to work, I would hear a loud "crack" like a rock smacking into the windshield of a car. I had no idea where it came from. I wasn't behind anyone and didn't have a clue. "Crack" I heard it again. I was starting to get worried and kind of hid down behind the windshield so I wouldn't get hit with anything.

Long story short, it was the ball on the end of the antenna swinging to and for, and coming forward and whacking into my helmet. I finally figured it out one day when the sun was right and I could see the shadow of the antenna flopping all over the place.

I quickly replaced the long whip with a 16" cheapy I got at Pep Boys that has the antenna material formed into a coil at the base for some springy action. The reception around town is fine, but would probably be lacking out in nowheresville. The antenna almost disappears being black and mounting between the saddle bag and fender. It's pretty stealthy.

I want to do something similar with the new bike, but want to run the antenna up through the fill-in strips similar to the Street Glide. This will take a custom bracket since the Street Glide fill in strips are not the same as ours.

I'll make sure to post pics when I get this one figured out because I think it will look pretty trick.

Chief
Chief, I have given some thought to the same thing, even going so far as to try and get the Street Glide  filler strip low light assembly, HD wont sell it, Its a vin restricted part. I have the antenna relo kit and a rubber ducky antenna. Keep me posted as to your progress.Mike
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 11:36:00 AM »

Mike,
Is your dealer telling you the light strip is vin restricted?  Since the FLRX is a standard production bike, nothing on it should be restricted.  I'm almost positive I've seen the light assy listed in one of the catalogs.  You should be able to just order it unpainted and have it painted to match.  Worst case, you order it in the color of your choice and then have it repainted.  If I remember, I'll try to find the part # and where I saw it.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 11:58:03 AM »

Mike,
Is your dealer telling you the light strip is vin restricted?  Since the FLRX is a standard production bike, nothing on it should be restricted.  I'm almost positive I've seen the light assy listed in one of the catalogs.  You should be able to just order it unpainted and have it painted to match.  Worst case, you order it in the color of your choice and then have it repainted.  If I remember, I'll try to find the part # and where I saw it.

First day I saw that light I tried to get one.

It is in fact a restricted part by the MoCo, guess they know it's a good idea.  Too bad the greed factor hasn't caused them to release it.  They would sell thousands of those.

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2007, 06:25:01 PM »

First day I saw that light I tried to get one.

It is in fact a restricted part by the MoCo, guess they know it's a good idea.  Too bad the greed factor hasn't caused them to release it.  They would sell thousands of those.

VIN restriction may have been lifted.  I purchased mine from Chicago H-D.
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
Re: antenna
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2007, 07:01:33 PM »

Can someone tell me what they do when they remove their tourpack and lose the antenna.
I carry my shorty antenna in my saddle bag.

I tried a Tune Trapper hidden antenna with limited results. I have not given up on it as my buds works fine.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 20 queries.