Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: antenna  (Read 4801 times)

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
Re:  antenna
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 02:17:08 PM »

When I first removed the TP on my '99 FLHTC, I used the antenna bracket for the Road Glide that mounts down on the fender strut instead of the more expensive Antenna Relocation kit. I simply rerouted the antenna cable to the lower mount and moved the whip.

Several times, when riding on the interstate to work, I would hear a loud "crack" like a rock smacking into the windshield of a car. I had no idea where it came from. I wasn't behind anyone and didn't have a clue. "Crack" I heard it again. I was starting to get worried and kind of hid down behind the windshield so I wouldn't get hit with anything.

Long story short, it was the ball on the end of the antenna swinging to and for, and coming forward and whacking into my helmet. I finally figured it out one day when the sun was right and I could see the shadow of the antenna flopping all over the place.

I quickly replaced the long whip with a 16" cheapy I got at Pep Boys that has the antenna material formed into a coil at the base for some springy action. The reception around town is fine, but would probably be lacking out in nowheresville. The antenna almost disappears being black and mounting between the saddle bag and fender. It's pretty stealthy.

I want to do something similar with the new bike, but want to run the antenna up through the fill-in strips similar to the Street Glide. This will take a custom bracket since the Street Glide fill in strips are not the same as ours.

I'll make sure to post pics when I get this one figured out because I think it will look pretty trick.

Chief
Chief, I have given some thought to the same thing, even going so far as to try and get the Street Glide  filler strip low light assembly, HD wont sell it, Its a vin restricted part. I have the antenna relo kit and a rubber ducky antenna. Keep me posted as to your progress.Mike
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 11:36:00 AM »

Mike,
Is your dealer telling you the light strip is vin restricted?  Since the FLRX is a standard production bike, nothing on it should be restricted.  I'm almost positive I've seen the light assy listed in one of the catalogs.  You should be able to just order it unpainted and have it painted to match.  Worst case, you order it in the color of your choice and then have it repainted.  If I remember, I'll try to find the part # and where I saw it.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 11:58:03 AM »

Mike,
Is your dealer telling you the light strip is vin restricted?  Since the FLRX is a standard production bike, nothing on it should be restricted.  I'm almost positive I've seen the light assy listed in one of the catalogs.  You should be able to just order it unpainted and have it painted to match.  Worst case, you order it in the color of your choice and then have it repainted.  If I remember, I'll try to find the part # and where I saw it.

First day I saw that light I tried to get one.

It is in fact a restricted part by the MoCo, guess they know it's a good idea.  Too bad the greed factor hasn't caused them to release it.  They would sell thousands of those.

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2007, 06:25:01 PM »

First day I saw that light I tried to get one.

It is in fact a restricted part by the MoCo, guess they know it's a good idea.  Too bad the greed factor hasn't caused them to release it.  They would sell thousands of those.

VIN restriction may have been lifted.  I purchased mine from Chicago H-D.
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
Re: antenna
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2007, 07:01:33 PM »

Can someone tell me what they do when they remove their tourpack and lose the antenna.
I carry my shorty antenna in my saddle bag.

I tried a Tune Trapper hidden antenna with limited results. I have not given up on it as my buds works fine.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 22 queries.