Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: cam chain tensioner shoes  (Read 13008 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: cam chain tensioner shoes
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2007, 06:45:03 PM »

Actually this change took place on the 06 Dyna models.

B B

Thanks B B. Sorry to mis-state that. The '06 Dynas were kinda '07 predecessors with 88" engines. Most of the changes to the '06 Dyna wound up on the '07s, including the 6-speed. Man does this place keep you on your toes! ;) Hoist! 8)

Make sure I got this one right. I talk out of my a$$ sometimes! ;D
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2007, 07:06:15 PM »

Make sure I got this one right. I talk out of my a$$ sometimes! ;D

:apple: :bananarock: :orange: :cucumber: :pineapple: :carrot: :mango:  :jalapeno: :pepper:

Should I comment on this?
 :lipsrsealed2: :lipsrsealed2: :lipsrsealed2: :lipsrsealed2:

:znothingfunny:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2007, 07:19:17 PM »

:apple: :bananarock: :orange: :cucumber: :pineapple: :carrot: :mango:  :jalapeno: :pepper:

Should I comment on this?
 :lipsrsealed2: :lipsrsealed2: :lipsrsealed2: :lipsrsealed2:

:znothingfunny:

Oh please do Chip, it's one of those things where even though it's too obvious, it's still gonna be fun. Let it fly buddy

B B

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2007, 07:22:19 PM »

Oh please do Chip, it's one of those things where even though it's too obvious, it's still gonna be fun. Let it fly buddy

B B

Let her rip! I'm in a good mood for a change! I left it open for you, didn't I? ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »

Just to show that not all tensioners go kaput in short mileage, here is a picture of the choes out of my '99. The left shoe (Outer) has 20k on it, and the right one (Inner) has 53,300. I replaced the outer one because when I checked it at 30,000, it got loose and busted when it hit the crank, otherwise it did not need it. I'm replacing both of them now to alleviate any fear a prospective owner may have after hearing that they only last 10,000 miles.

The reason I took this pic, was to demonstrate that the shoes are not all ticking time bombs. They should be checked regularly, but they can last a long time.

Mobil 1 15/50 red cap. (Auto oil)

Chief

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2007, 09:36:06 PM »

Chief,
         I've talked myself blue in the face with different folks on this subject and here's my conclusion. The MoCo went with these tensioners because of producibility issues on the assembly line. No lash to set etc etc with these. While I've seen claims of increased hp with the gear driven, I've also read about Carl Hubbard's bike being pretty quick and he's running cam chains. My own experience with the pre hydraulic ones would indicate they last about 24k. Other folks have gotten well into the 40k range with em. In the end, I think the mileage you get out of them is related to your riding style to a degree. As to the gear driven cams, my personal attitude is that I'd like to try a set on Elvis since that bike is no longer going to be out on the open road to any degree. When the top end needs a redo, I plan on going with some of what the big boys on the site are always yakkin about. But for LD, I don't want to be looking for an indy shop to fix my bike in the middle of nowhere. I'd rather stay with all H-D internals and maybe lose a couple of hp, but gain the piece of mind in knowing there's several thousand H-D dealerships to fix it should it require such all over the world.

Just my $0.02

B B

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2007, 09:47:55 PM »

Chief,
         I've talked myself blue in the face with different folks on this subject and here's my conclusion. The MoCo went with these tensioners because of producibility issues on the assembly line. No lash to set etc etc with these. While I've seen claims of increased hp with the gear driven, I've also read about Carl Hubbard's bike being pretty quick and he's running cam chains. My own experience with the pre hydraulic ones would indicate they last about 24k. Other folks have gotten well into the 40k range with em. In the end, I think the mileage you get out of them is related to your riding style to a degree. As to the gear driven cams, my personal attitude is that I'd like to try a set on Elvis since that bike is no longer going to be out on the open road to any degree. When the top end needs a redo, I plan on going with some of what the big boys on the site are always yakkin about. But for LD, I don't want to be looking for an indy shop to fix my bike in the middle of nowhere. I'd rather stay with all H-D internals and maybe lose a couple of hp, but gain the piece of mind in knowing there's several thousand H-D dealerships to fix it should it require such all over the world.

Just my $0.02

B B

I hear you B, and I agree with your ideas on easy to service.

As to how long they last, shoes disintegrating at 5,000 miles make for a better story than mine lasting more then 50,000. And at the rate they were wearing, could have gone 75,000. Why did I get such good life out of them? I don't know. Good clean oil maybe? Who knows? All I can say is I have the shoes and the odometer to prove that not all of them are ticking timebombs like they are painted to be.

I was always told EPA noise emissions played a part in them getting rid of the gears. Once again, who knows?

Chief

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2007, 09:54:36 PM »

I hear you B, and I agree with your ideas on easy to service.

As to how long they last, shoes disintegrating at 5,000 miles make for a better story than mine lasting more then 50,000. And at the rate they were wearing, could have gone 75,000. Why did I get such good life out of them? I don't know. Good clean oil maybe? Who knows? All I can say is I have the shoes and the odometer to prove that not all of them are ticking timebombs like they are painted to be.

I was always told EPA noise emissions played a part in them getting rid of the gears. Once again, who knows?

Chief

My dealer is #13 overall in the world and #1 in V-Rod sales. The owner is something of gearhead (pardon the pun) he rides all over the country attending H-D dealer meetings, Sturgis, Daytona and a host of Republican Party events as he is very active in politics. He is always having one of his techs build him a custom from different models and he likes his bikes to run and run fast. He told me he was interested in the gear driven cams himself and asked at a dealer meeting why H-D didn't go that route since they seemed to be a cheaper build. He was told that they were not conducive to the assembly line process. Nothing to do with noise. I'm only repeating what he told me. take it for what it's worth. My question would be OK fine, but why not offer them under the Screamin Eagle product line ?

B B

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2007, 10:28:37 PM »

those shoes look real good for the mileage on-em...I guess its how you ride.....me personally...I ride it like I stole it!!!!...but go overboard on maintience and oil changes.....
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2007, 10:54:22 AM »

Well the way I look at it, is if you pay over $30K for a bike it should have the best!!!! Harley's making a good buck on all their bikes, this would be a change that they should make from a reliability stand point, it doesn't look like there is any rime or reason on how long the tensinoners will last, unless you're going to check them every 8K to 10K.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2007, 01:59:29 AM »

While those shoes do not have very deep grooves in them they do have lots of "divots" These chunks of material come off and destry the oil pump.

I have had many cam chests apart and can testify to the value of frequent oil changes with a good synthetic oil. The bikes that run dyno oil in them show significantly more wear and larger divots in the shoes. I have a bike in the shop now with 14k on the clock and the shoes are worn twice as deep as those with large divots. The owner has not kept up on maintanence and used "whatever" oil when he did have it changed.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.