Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Milwaukee-Eight  (Read 61727 times)

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
Re: Milwaukee-Eight
« Reply #195 on: October 10, 2016, 02:53:10 PM »

I don't want to get us too far off-topic but its worth confirming what's legal and what's not since the topic was raised here. I'm not aware of any state where its illegal for 2 motorcycles to ride side-by-side within a single lane. Of course its ill-advised, if the conditions do not support close riding. But in almost every situation, bikes are expected to stop side-by-side at a light and when traveling in "some" slow, high traffic areas it can be safer to ride side-by-side than stretching a group ride further than can be reasonably expected to make it through the next light. I would be interested in learning if there is any State where side-by-side riding is illegal.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #196 on: October 10, 2016, 03:39:11 PM »

I don't want to get us too far off-topic but its worth confirming what's legal and what's not since the topic was raised here. I'm not aware of any state where its illegal for 2 motorcycles to ride side-by-side within a single lane. Of course its ill-advised, if the conditions do not support close riding. But in almost every situation, bikes are expected to stop side-by-side at a light and when traveling in "some" slow, high traffic areas it can be safer to ride side-by-side than stretching a group ride further than can be reasonably expected to make it through the next light. I would be interested in learning if there is any State where side-by-side riding is illegal.
Up until recently (within the last few years) it was illegal to ride side by side in VA. So I wouldn't assume w/o verifying if I were traveling outside of my home state (where I should know the laws) that it was legal/illegal.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #197 on: October 10, 2016, 03:41:52 PM »

Since this thread is already jacked I will add my own two cents. New Jersey is one state where it is illegal to ride side by side. I'm not saying it's right, I'm not saying it is wrong,
 but it is the law fwiw.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #198 on: October 10, 2016, 03:43:40 PM »

Virginia was the state I was thinking of when I made my post.  I lived there from '73 thru '92.  And in my humble opinion it was a good law as long as some cop didn't try to bust people for sitting at a light side by side.  I'm surprised they repealed it.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #199 on: October 10, 2016, 04:00:47 PM »

Since this thread is already jacked I will add my own two cents. New Jersey is one state where it is illegal to ride side by side. I'm not saying it's right, I'm not saying it is wrong, but it is the law fwiw.

The HOG book says it is legal in NJ so if that isn't true, what is that law so they can correct the book. Actually, the only state where they specifically say NO to 'Riding two abreast in the same lane' is Vermont.

Me & my buddy ride like this all the time and we've never been pulled over. Heck one trip was all through Canada and through VT out to Laconia.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #200 on: October 10, 2016, 04:07:35 PM »

The HOG book says it is legal in NJ so if that isn't true, what is that law so they can correct the book. Actually, the only state where they specifically say NO to 'Riding two abreast in the same lane' is Vermont.

Me & my buddy ride like this all the time and we've never been pulled over. Heck one trip was all through Canada and through VT out to Laconia.
I did some searching to find out when the law was changed in VA (prior to the change it was a reckless driving violation) and found as you state Vermont is the only state remaining that doesn't allow it - New law lets motorcyclists ride side by side (as of the printing of that article - April 2012).

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #201 on: October 10, 2016, 04:29:00 PM »

I've ridden in NJ for 45 yrs. My motorcycle license is NJ and most of the guys I ride with are licensed in NJ. While the rider's manual suggests "never riding side-by-side" it is not illegal. There is no penalty or ticketable offense for riding side-by-side in NJ. Its done by thousands of motorcycle riders during every group ride on just about every nice weather weekend. As stated, VT is the only state where its illegal and I ride frequently in VT and going through many local towns during group rides most riders will be side-by-side when conditions are safe.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #202 on: October 10, 2016, 07:40:57 PM »

Each to his own and I'll get side by side with riding with a group of friends only when coming to a stop light / stop sign.  Once we are moving it is staggered all the way.  Now in traffic the stagger may be tight but it is still staggered.  I know my friends well and trust them implicitly but chit happens that sometimes requires maneuvering and I don't what anyone to share my lane with me.  Just my $.02.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #203 on: October 10, 2016, 11:36:31 PM »

The law in NJ states only one vehicle may occupy a lane at one time, motorcycles are considered vehicles. I am a career law enforcement officer, and a motor officer, while I have never issued a summons, for lane sharing, and know of no officer who has; IT IS ON THE BOOKS.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #204 on: October 11, 2016, 06:26:21 AM »

The law in NJ states only one vehicle may occupy a lane at one time, motorcycles are considered vehicles. I am a career law enforcement officer, and a motor officer, while I have never issued a summons, for lane sharing, and know of no officer who has; IT IS ON THE BOOKS.

Good info and straight from a knowledgeable source.

As Hub would say,,,,,, "There endeth the lesson"
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #205 on: October 11, 2016, 06:34:36 AM »

I stand corrected. Learned something new from a reliable source. Although its worth noting there are numerous NJ motorcycle law summaries that state "motorcycle riding 2 abreast is not referenced in administrative code or statute".
http://www.forums.midatlanticxriders.com/index.php?topic=313
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 07:25:08 AM by Heatwave »

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #206 on: October 11, 2016, 08:45:34 AM »

Agree with most of what is said about riding in groups. I don't mind small groups of people like 1 or 2 other bikes that I know. I don't like the larger groups that really go from food (or drink) place to the next.  The last ride I was on someone did go off the road and it wasn't a difficult turn just too many bikes making them nervous.  One thing to call out is riding side by side is very cool but consider maybe not the safest. If someone has to avoid something or whatever there is no room to move.  I do ride side by side occasionally especially when just having fun or trying to communicate but usually it is more staggered.  Just a thought.

I did not say it was the safest to ride side by side.  I do frequently ride side by side at the MC I am in rides side by side.  However my comment was I feel safer riding side by side with my club than I do in a staggered group ride in a HOG chapter. 

I feel safer because in my Club you have to know how to ride, and ride well or you will not earn your patch.  I also know how every one in the club rides, and what to expect.  In the HOG chapter I would consider most of them beginners at best.  We have several in the HOG chapter who have rode less in the last ten years I have known them than I ride in a year. 

I know the safest is to not ride side by side. When our club does its annual vacation out west we ride close stager. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #207 on: October 11, 2016, 09:36:16 AM »

I did not say it was the safest to ride side by side.  I do frequently ride side by side at the MC I am in rides side by side.  However my comment was I feel safer riding side by side with my club than I do in a staggered group ride in a HOG chapter. 

I feel safer because in my Club you have to know how to ride, and ride well or you will not earn your patch.  I also know how every one in the club rides, and what to expect.  In the HOG chapter I would consider most of them beginners at best.  We have several in the HOG chapter who have rode less in the last ten years I have known them than I ride in a year. 

I know the safest is to not ride side by side. When our club does its annual vacation out west we ride close stager.

That is truth right there. Riding side by side requires a lot of experience plus way more focus, and you gotta trust your partner.

Personally, I feel safer side by side as with two of us in the lane cages seem to notice us more. But, we also don't ride like that when we're banging twisties. There are times it IS safer, and times it ain't.

I know someone who had their right leg torn off while riding staggered because the right lane rider didn't see the right-turn signal and ran right into him as he crossed in front to make the right. No matter the formation, when you're on a bike you can get messed up real fast if people don't pay attention. Riding side by side forces you to pay more attention, but you lose reaction time as everyone is tighter. There are rules for that and everyone in the pack knows them and how to react. Cops ride like this too and if it was as dangerous as everyone thinks, they wouldn't be doing it either.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #208 on: October 11, 2016, 06:00:28 PM »

I sure have not noticed that with my 17 SESG.  She pulls right up to 5K or more.  Only time it quits pulling is when you hit the speed limiter.
the first three gears pulled to red line then somewhere in fourth it just hit a wall, must have been the limiter. when all that happened i backed out of it and speedo was in the mid 90s. will say they seem to be pretty quick even the 107 i took for a spin was ok, both were just lill test rides. so how you liking the bat wing now that you have some miles behind it? for me im going to wait on a shark
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #209 on: October 12, 2016, 08:27:20 AM »

the first three gears pulled to red line then somewhere in fourth it just hit a wall, must have been the limiter. when all that happened i backed out of it and speedo was in the mid 90s. will say they seem to be pretty quick even the 107 i took for a spin was ok, both were just lill test rides. so how you liking the bat wing now that you have some miles behind it? for me im going to wait on a shark

I can live with the Batwing, but much prefer the Shark.  The 14 and new batwings are much improved from the 13 and earlier.  I hated the 13 and earlier.  I would be on a Shark now if a CVO RG would have been produced this year.  The new front suspension is a very good improvement.  I also like the new motor, just hope it is reliable.  First 2300 miles have been great.

Very slow speed and very high speed is where the shark really shines over the Batwing. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 21 queries.