Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: HELP! SERK Needs Different Handlebars  (Read 12314 times)

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
Re: HELP! SERK Needs Different Handlebars
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2007, 03:59:55 PM »

Does anyine know the specs on the stock bars???  So I can compare other bars.
From what I have seen everyone measures the bars a little different. They also don't tell yu what angle the grips will be to your arms which seems to make abig difference to me since my wrists don't bend much
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2007, 05:33:23 PM »

Howie I put the 12.5 inch Wild 1's on my SERK. I love em. I ordered 2 inch over cables and it ended up they were the same length as stock. But it was longer on the clutch which you need.Also the brake was longer. If you need any help give me a jingle. Good Luck,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2007, 05:53:42 PM »

Howie I put the 12.5 inch Wild 1's on my SERK. I love em. I ordered 2 inch over cables and it ended up they were the same length as stock. But it was longer on the clutch which you need.Also the brake was longer. If you need any help give me a jingle. Good Luck,Q

Thanks John, I ordered the 10-inch Wild 1 mini-apes. The 12.5's looked a little too tall for me, from the pictures I saw on their website. I'm gonna try to mock it up when they come in and I'll see what else I need. I hope I got the height right. If not, I'll have to order the 12.5's and wait for them to mock it up again. Those stock Schwinn bars gotta go! Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

The Mysterious Q!

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • CT
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2007, 07:29:44 PM »

Yes they do Mr. Hermann!
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2007, 07:36:13 PM »

Yes they do Mr. Hermann!

Hey John, I might as well ask. Are your hands above your shoulders? You're taller than me. If yours are shoulder level or higher, the 12.5's will definitely be too tall for me. I want them at or just below my shoulder level. Thanks man! Hoist! 8).

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

The Mysterious Q!

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • CT
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2007, 07:42:46 PM »

Just at or a smidge below my shoulders. I had 18's on my last scoot. Now those are Apes baby.

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2007, 05:04:41 PM »

I have read four pages of script....and there is no ending to this story.....

arrrrrrggggghhh........lol...

Mr. Hoist, so what happened....did you go with the WO515's??????  any photo's please....do you like them?????

I actually own a 2002 RKC that I am in the process of changing bars......
need help.....

Regards,

FXR2evo99

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2007, 05:15:02 PM »

I have read four pages of script....and there is no ending to this story.....

arrrrrrggggghhh........lol...

Mr. Hoist, so what happened....did you go with the WO515's??????  any photo's please....do you like them?????

I actually own a 2002 RKC that I am in the process of changing bars......
need help.....

Regards,

FXR2evo99

Welcome aboard FXR, you gotta be fast to keep up here. All this is on other threads now. Check this one out from this week.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=14277.msg224453#msg224453

There's also a link there to the pics, Yes, I used the WO515's. This should get you everything you need to know. Enjoy the site.

Hoist! 8)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
Q
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2007, 12:54:06 AM »

Hoist,

Now that I have had a chance to read the additional posts regarding your "mods" which then finished up with the photos of your handlebar modification from the stock to the WO515.  I have a couple of observations, a couple of questions, and some final thoughts:

observations:

1) The photo of your handle bars from the rear which are close up which you labeled "Different View of the bars" is a very nice photo....could be a screen saver photo.....the bars look fantastic in that photo.

2) I looked at your photos of your SERK before the change of your handlebars from stock to the WO515's and I personally believe that your bike looks much better with the WO515's...I have always thought that the "lower" handle bars on road kings look the best but in this case....I have to say that the WO 515's in this case have given your bike much more "personality"....it's a very "stunning" look....and we haven't even mentioned/discussed the apparent riding comfort and funcitionality of the bars themselves.

Questions:

On January 28th, 2007 you posted after 150 miles of ownership of your 2007 SERK that you felt that HD "nailed the riding position on this bike.  I am 5' 9".  The ride height and reach are perfect.  The handlebars and controls are perfect"

Then

On March 3rd 2007, you post "OK, I put a bunch of miles on the new SERK today. On my previous RK's, I always used HD Chrome Dyna Wide Glide handlebars. My '85 Wide glide has 6" risers with Flanders Street Bars. I'm used to riding with my arms a little higher than these SERK bars (not too high), and slightly narrower. Elbows out a little and fists just below shoulder level. So I might be thinking of changing the stock handlebars. "

By March 12, 2007 with close to 500 miles you have ordered the W0515's and by April 24, 2007 you have posted photos with them now installed.

So it's obvious like all of us we initially feel something is good.....but then the miles set in.....it didn't take you too long to decide (less than 150) the stock bars on your SERK were not going to be comfortable.....also through this period of time it appears your riding weather was very limited so now that we are at June 13th, 2007 how many miles are on your bike at this time?  Have you taken any rides that might include back to back to back (3 days) of 400 - 500 mile days? 

I am not trying to "nail" you with anything you have said of course, you see I too am 5' 8" but with my socks, orthodics, boots I can easily get to 5' 10" which puts us very close in height, my shirt sleeve length is a 32" / 33".  So we seem to be fairly close in size based upon my reading......with you being 5' 9".  So I look at your experience with these handlebars as being a gateway for my understanding and what to expect.....This will be my 4th attempt at finding the "perfect" handlebar if there is such a thing, the stock bar, and another change, I am running the reduced reach rk bars now and now I am here discussing the WO515's with you.  So the truest test of any handlebar is if you find yourself in a very short period of time riding some long days.....throughout your post you mentioned some up comming trips so I am curious if any of those fit the parameters of the back to back to back days with 400-500 mile days allowing you to offer anyone here for that matter that may be like me deciding upon these bars as a possible installation????  Thus any specific comments, besides that they are good would be greatly appreciated.  Thus what "road test" information either pro or con for the bars can you offer?

The funny thing here is that I was actually looking at the stock 2007 FLHRSE (SERK) bars as a possible solution because let's face it the "cool" factor of the lower bars is always there....but quickly (I might add) you reached the conclusion of only using them for 150 miles before you came to the conclusion I was curious about, that indeed they were not comfortable and thus you began your search.....I have also given consideration to the WO513's as well....which are the 8.5" baby apes...you apparently disgarded those as an option and I have found myself debating within my mind yeah vs na on those....I have a buddy who is running the WO513's on his 2006 FLHRS Road King Custom with the Mustang "Daytripper" and I have ridden that for 50 miles or so and felt his bars were quite comfortable....but if "quite" is good...perhaps I began thinking that 1.5" more rise with also result in a bit more pull back because of the rise would be "better"....this might be a good spot ask you what sport coat size you wear....I am 42 reg....so I am curious that with the 1" wider width of the WO515's of 36" vs the WO 513's of 35, if indeed you gave that any consideration as well? 

I appreciate your "thread" here it's been informative and helpful....and adding the "link" like you did to my previous request for information will help someone "Trail" your personal experience to the end.....posting those pictures here might save someone the trouble however.....and make it a very nice ending to your journey. (just a thought)

Final Thoughts:

Your thread is an example of how unexpectantly months later it can be of help to another....thank you for your details and time to write....it takes time to make anything worth reading.....if you wouldn't mind sharing a couple final reflections as well to a couple of your mods:

A) what is the true track system that you took a photo of for?
B) what is the significance of the new windshield you put on vs a standard rk windshield from Harley.

Thank you for your time and energy.

Regards,

FXR2evo99

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2007, 01:55:28 AM »

Wow, that was a mouthful FXR! Thanks for the compliments. I did feel good about the original riding position. But I think I said somewhere that my preferred handlebar position is more like the Flanders Street Bars, which would need 6" risers. I prefer my knuckles facing forward, Apehanger Style. I knew I'd be replacing the bars with that position. I like the DWG Bars, but I wanted to stay with the thicker, internally wired bars and 1" risers. I have a 32 sleeve and 41 coat, and my arms are slightly bent and slightly below my shoulders. Exactly where I want them. The width of the bars is slightly more than I'd ideally prefer, but the riding position was the determining factor. The width comes into play when your maneuvering the bike in full turn situations, like parking it, which you'll get used to. So based on that, the handlebars are excellent for me on long and short trips.

This is my trip bike. I'm setting it up for me, my way. I have 5000 miles on it now. Yeah, 300-400 mile days. A few longer. It will be setup for 1000 mile days. The seat is more of a problem than the bars. I didn't dare travel with that stock POS seat. I travel 2-up and used my HD Touring Bucket from 4 previous RK's. I have the matching detachable passenger backrest for it. It needs to be repadded now, and it's still night and day better than the stock seat. So it's bars and seat. What else?

Suspension! Most people don't realize how fatiguing our crappy suspension can be. When you have a better one, you realize it for sure. So suspension upgrades should be considered. Mine will have been completely redone when I get the new shocks. Front and back total overhaul.

They set this bike up as a barhopper, while it happens to be the best touring platform they ever offered. You just have to make it back into a touring bike, if that's what your looking for. And don't worry about losing the stock  seat, because the Saddlebags have to go too. They're totally useless for long trips. I'm putting Hard Bags on mine. You have to decide how far you want to take it to transform it into what works for your needs. I love the bike, so I'm making it perfect for me in every way I can. It can be a barhopper with the original seat and bags, or it can be a Touring Bike with the Touring Bucket, Hard Bags and Luggage rack. The transformer bike! ;)

The TrueTrack is an additional stabilizer to prevent the rear swingarm from flexing or twisting, which helps to control the wobble you get on FL's under certain conditions. The new suspension helps that too. Between the two, this is now the smoothest, most surefooted FL I've ever ridden.

And the stock wind screen is also useless! I used a new frame which can accommodate a standard windshield, not windscreen. It can also accommodate a windshield pouch.

This is my 5th Road King, so I've already known how I like them. It's easier for me to decide what to do now. I know how I want it, it's just a matter of putting all the puzzle pieces together.

Hope this helps. There are detailed threads on every subject you've asked about here. Use the search function and you'll find pages on each subject; Windshield, TrueTrack, Handlebars, etc. And look in the SERK Section at previous topics. You'll be amazed what you find in the previous threads.

Hoist! 8)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2007, 02:52:08 AM »

Hoist,

After I posted my above questions I found your "thread" on your recent experiences with "New SERK Can't Take Hoist's Abuse!" and since having finished the reading of that thread to date, I would have already known by reading what you shared through out that post that you had put the type of "back to back to back" days I was considering as being "trial" points to how you really felt about the WO515's installed.

Thank you for taking the time to post such a descriptive response!.

This "thread" has been very helpful to me......and I am sure it will be to others as well....

I wish you well with managing the apparent issues with your bike.....

Once again, Thank You!

"The Transformer Bike"   <~~~~~ :2vrolijk_21:

Regards,

FXR2evo99 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.402 seconds with 21 queries.