Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 131 Runs Hot  (Read 2915 times)

Pan1

• Full CVO Member
131 Runs Hot
« on: June 08, 2021, 11:33:17 PM »

In a previous post I said how happy I was with the HD Kit. Now that summer has arrived I am finding out just how HOT the engine runs. It is twin cooled and the engine seems to perform very well even when hot. The problem is the extreme heat on my legs and but. I used the HD kit and street tuner with auto tune with the exception of a Fullsac head pipe, Fullsac 2.25 baffles, SE ported intake and a K&N air cleaner. The engine made 131HP and runs very well except for the heat. It is almost a deal breaker. I suspect the exhaust and breather may have it running on the lean side. 

Any suggestions? Oil cooler etc.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: 131 Runs Hot
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 11:52:51 AM »

There are a plethora of threads in the Twin Cam and Milwaukee 8 boards about engine heat. First thing to do is get a good dyno tune. JMHO. Oil cooler won't hurt but you're treating the symptom, not the cause.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 01:33:02 PM »

More on the tune..
TTS offers the ability to tune the fans, the on point. That said you are talking about radiant heat or do you know for a fact that the engine is overheated? Isnt there a factory equipped  oil cooler? The factory does offer fans for some of the factory oil coolers.

Pan1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 08:51:00 PM »

The engine is Twin Cooled and the fans come on rather quickly. The heat from the exit of the radiators is very very  hot compared to the  Twin Cooled Twin Cam 117 I had. Additionally the radiant heat is really bad. Even though I changed the head pipe the local dealer and hopefully  other dealerships will  keep the bike under warranty. Would an oil cooler significantly help?

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 11:03:29 PM »

Guess on my part but betting the oil cooler will only offer minimal help for you the rider. It would help oil temperature to some degree but would agree with others. Till you get a tuner on it where you get some fuel to it I don't think your going to change the heat
Most great stores start with a bad decision

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 07:00:42 AM »

I have to agree with you on this one Pan1. I just finished my 131 build as well. BUT I did let the Dealer tune mine after I got 500 miles on the motor. Mine made 136/150. While I am very happy with the entire build and the smoothness of the throttle, IT RUNS HOTTTTTTT. My fans are on every time I turn the bike off. I also used the SE Pro Street Tuner.

I have opted to wait till fall before I put another tuner on it. My Dealer also tunes with the Power Vision and I almost did it but my bike only has 800 miles total on it right now. I have had my bike for 8 months and I would like to keep my factory warranty intact for a while longer.

I used a D&D Exhaust on my build. So I am not running a cat either. I would like to hear from others that went Big Bore and used an aftermarket tuner and an aftermarket exhaust. I bet they have no heat problems.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 07:16:08 AM by DCFIREMANN »
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Pan1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 10:18:38 PM »

The reason I used the HD kit and tuner was my local dealer "will" honor the extended warranty. The bike made 131 HP and 137 TQ and runs great except a power loss during hard acceleration  at gear changes, which I think is caused by the RDS, that I have tried to turn off. I was very happy until 90 degree weather kicked in and now the bike is no fun to ride. I have thought about external cylinder cooling fans or finding an oil cooler kit. There are a few adjustments that can be made with the street tuner. I do not know how but my mechanic raised the rpm limiter to 6,400. Looking at the tables the low rpm timing seems to be adjustable. Any tune tips would be appreciated.

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 04:44:07 AM »

IMHO, These heat problems will not be solved until a manual tune is completed on a dyno with a tuner that is capable of working the full gamut and outside the restricted SE tuner.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

Mofo67

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2021, 06:10:59 AM »

I put 7,500 miles on my ‘19 CVO SG with a 131, most of them between May and August of 2020 in the NC heat. While I did notice it being a little hotter than stock I did not feel it affected me to the point I could not enjoy the ride. I ran the FM 2/1/2 Jackpot header, MK-45 mufflers and the H-D auto-tuner.
I did have the H-D cool-flow fan installed and the bike was oil cooled, so I had the H-D recommended fan assisted oil cooler on the bike.
I never had the bike on a dyno because I didn’t think there would be enough adjustments that could be made to accommodate the cat-free header. If your bike is running so hot you can’t enjoy it, I agree with others it could be an issue with the tune. The H-D tuner cannot tune for an exhaust without a cat. If you want to keep the warranty as long as possible try the cool-flow fan, maybe that will help. Good Luck...

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2021, 07:19:33 AM »

IMHO, These heat problems will not be solved until a manual tune is completed on a dyno with a tuner that is capable of working the full gamut and outside the restricted SE tuner.

Warlock you are correct. The HD Street Tuner will not let you richen the mixture. 14.6 is the best you can get. I love the way my bike runs, just not likin the heat. I may not make it till the fall to change over to the T-Max.

Be Safe

THE DAWG 
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2021, 08:47:21 AM »

The 14.6 is not that lean at a light cruise. Everywhere else the added fuel will be welcomed and will help bring the heat down a little, agreed. It doesn't need to be stinking rich and that will spawn a whole new set of problems. Let it eat but not get fat. Same comments for timing. Logging the timing events and looking at the factory curve may tell a story related to heat as well.

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 21 queries.