Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 10K Service - Need Rear Wheel Bearings?  (Read 1780 times)

ColoradoMike

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

10K Service - Need Rear Wheel Bearings?
« on: July 28, 2021, 05:40:39 PM »

2017 Limited CVO with 10,371 miles.  In for the 10K service and the Harley Davidson dealer shop is telling me it needs new rear wheel bearings.  The cost installed is $140 so not a major deal on price and I'm having it done of course, but what a shock that this almost new bike needs these replaced!  I will say the backend was getting a little loose, but I thought it was the tire wear and the tires are also being replaced as they were getting a little thin.

Did a search but couldn't find anything here or online, but is this crazy uncommon?  I generally hand wash the bike but have been used some pressure washers on occasion when needed, but not more than may 5 times total.

I've had several Harley's over the years and can't recall ever having to replace wheel bearings. 

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
Re: 10K Service - Need Rear Wheel Bearings?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 06:47:57 PM »

They’re charging you $140 to replace bearings when the wheel is already off for tire replacement?  Guess how they afford those big ol nice buildings!

In all seriousness, H-D bearings don’t hold up that well anymore.  I’m replacing my front wheel bearings in a couple weeks when I get the front tire replaced.  Bought bearing removal/insertion tools so I’ll probably just replace them every time I get new tires, ALL BALLS Racing bearings are only $11 per set from JP cycles so it’s cheap insurance.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 06:55:26 PM by SIKBIRD »

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 07:01:00 PM »

2017 Limited CVO with 10,371 miles.  In for the 10K service and the Harley Davidson dealer shop is telling me it needs new rear wheel bearings.  The cost installed is $140 so not a major deal on price and I'm having it done of course, but what a shock that this almost new bike needs these replaced!  I will say the backend was getting a little loose, but I thought it was the tire wear and the tires are also being replaced as they were getting a little thin.

Did a search but couldn't find anything here or online, but is this crazy uncommon?  I generally hand wash the bike but have been used some pressure washers on occasion when needed, but not more than may 5 times total.

I've had several Harley's over the years and can't recall ever having to replace wheel bearings.

Not really that unusual for the new bikes.
My 2017 had the front replaced early under warranty.
My 2019 had the entire rear swing arm, bearings, pulley, axle all replaced under warranty.
Bill was $3500.00, so, $140 not so bad!

My 1995 had the bearings replace at 100,000 miles along with the rear belt. Could have probably gone more but I was worried.

:nixweiss:
HOGMIKE

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 09:12:27 PM »

Not really that unusual for the new bikes.
My 2017 had the front replaced early under warranty.
My 2019 had the entire rear swing arm, bearings, pulley, axle all replaced under warranty.
Bill was $3500.00, so, $140 not so bad!

My 1995 had the bearings replace at 100,000 miles along with the rear belt. Could have probably gone more but I was worried.

Now that scares me all to hell!

:nixweiss:
The "TAZMUN"

spence

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2020 CVO Limited
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 07:04:22 AM »

The newer Harley wheel bearings suck pretty much.  On my 16 I needed them 3 times in 53k.  On my 20 I just replace them when I change tires because I already have the wheel off and only takes a little time to do.

ColoradoMike

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 10:02:37 AM »

Thanks all for the replies as this was helpful!

From other searches, I am finding out this is not uncommon which is crazy.  My 05 Ultra had 50K miles on it and no bearings needed to be replaced when I sold it. 

The job is done and I'll pick up the bike this morning, but if I need new bearings in the future I'll ask for All Balls or some other higher quality brand.  I expect they just replaced these with the HD brand ones.

Thanks again!

windjammer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTSSE2 sold
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 12:44:07 PM »

Had to change both front and rear at 45,000 on my 2015. Bearing quality is not what it was.

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2021, 01:05:30 PM »

Thanks all for the replies as this was helpful!

From other searches, I am finding out this is not uncommon which is crazy.  My 05 Ultra had 50K miles on it and no bearings needed to be replaced when I sold it. 

The job is done and I'll pick up the bike this morning, but if I need new bearings in the future I'll ask for All Balls or some other higher quality brand.  I expect they just replaced these with the HD brand ones.

Thanks again!

Don’t get me wrong, not saying All Balls are better, with the exception of Timken, I think most of them are made in China, including HD bearings.  I’m just saying they’re cheap, easy to replace, and should last at least through a tire cycle.  If you want to go with a higher quality, Timken would be my go-to but they’re much more expensive and you have to really be careful where you get them as Amazon and eBay both have counterfeit ones listed.  If you go the Timken route I would only buy from an authorized dealer.

ColoradoMike

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2021, 03:19:31 PM »

Follow-up post:  Spoke with the dealer and they said wheel bearing failures are not as uncommon as they used to be.  On my bike, the back wheel got wider and the axle thicker, so there wasn't as much room for a bigger bearing and they were still being made with the same bearing.  Not sure if that holds water, but it is what they told me.  They had already done the work and put in HD parts, but I told them if it happens again I would want better quality parts like All Balls installed.  They also mentioned Timken bearings as a possibility.

They did check the front wheel bearings and said those were good.  I had new tires installed and ran the bike up the highway and through some aggressive corners where the back end tracked solidly and was no longer "loose", so I'm a happy camper.  

Thanks for the help!

Am running up to Sturgis next week but the service is done and everything checked out ready to go! 

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 22 queries.