Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2001 SERGU still a good choice?  (Read 2374 times)

d3v1ld0g

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

• CVO1: 1999 Heritage Springer “sold”
    • CVO2: 2011 CVORGU “sold”
    • CVO3: 2001 SERG
2001 SERGU still a good choice?
« on: August 05, 2020, 10:21:55 PM »

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2001 SERGU. What do you all think? I’ve never owned a road glide or a Screamin Eagle, but just sold my ‘99 heritage springer and have been pining for one for the last couple of years. So I was wondering if I’m wasting my time and money, or should I shell out  more money than I would like to spend. Thanks everyone

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: 2001 SERGU still a good choice?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 11:53:25 PM »

Road Glides are great bikes for knocking down miles on.  Having the fairing frame mounted rather than handlebar mounted is an easier ride.  So if you like the looks of a Road Glide (not everyone does) on top of that you're halfway home.

Then there's the other half.  They're great bikes; but....

But the ignition system.  It's an old system that Harley has not used since 2001.  Some will decry the system just because it's Marelli (the name of the vendor who sold the systems to Harley -- the same vendor who worked with them for throttle by wire by the way).  They had their quirks but they were completely serviceable in their day; if you knew what you were doing.

The problem now is parts availability AND almost no in a dealership knows how to work on them anymore.  So as  long as its running great and you're not making any dramatic changes you'd be good to go.  If something significant ever craps out, however, count on having to do something significant.

Some guys convert them fuel injection to a carburetor  -- a perfectly ok and serviceable option.

Some use aftermarket conversion kits  -- My least favorite option -- if you ever break down you'll still be in a circumstance where no dealer will have any idea or be terribly willing to deal with it.

Some will get parts or later model fuel injected bike (2004-2005 is a good option) and convert it to a more modern system that is completely serviceable and should be for a long time.  This is the most expensive option (unless you score really well on eBay) and least common.  It's what I did to my bike though.  I just happen to really prefer the fuel injection and I wasn't in a hurry to score parts.  So it wasn't that painful to get done.

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 10:52:52 AM »

I have a 2000, love the bike, but must reference the clarification provided above.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2023, 03:46:58 PM »

Road Glides are great bikes for knocking down miles on.  Having the fairing frame mounted rather than handlebar mounted is an easier ride.  So if you like the looks of a Road Glide (not everyone does) on top of that you're halfway home.

Then there's the other half.  They're great bikes; but....

But the ignition system.  It's an old system that Harley has not used since 2001.  Some will decry the system just because it's Marelli (the name of the vendor who sold the systems to Harley -- the same vendor who worked with them for throttle by wire by the way).  They had their quirks but they were completely serviceable in their day; if you knew what you were doing.

The problem now is parts availability AND almost no in a dealership knows how to work on them anymore.  So as  long as its running great and you're not making any dramatic changes you'd be good to go.  If something significant ever craps out, however, count on having to do something significant.

Some guys convert them fuel injection to a carburetor  -- a perfectly ok and serviceable option.

Some use aftermarket conversion kits  -- My least favorite option -- if you ever break down you'll still be in a circumstance where no dealer will have any idea or be terribly willing to deal with it.

Some will get parts or later model fuel injected bike (2004-2005 is a good option) and convert it to a more modern system that is completely serviceable and should be for a long time.  This is the most expensive option (unless you score really well on eBay) and least common.  It's what I did to my bike though.  I just happen to really prefer the fuel injection and I wasn't in a hurry to score parts.  So it wasn't that painful to get done.

..as twolane said...

I love my 2001... but its getting tired from living most of the last 10 years outside, and this many miles pulling a sidecar with a dog riding shotgun... :)

Amazingly I recently did fuel pump, filter and lines... (and regulator) The sock was a disaster to find.

If I could just keep exhaust nuts from coming loose I'd be really happy

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 22 queries.