Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Wife Recovering  (Read 7092 times)

FUZZY

Wife Recovering
« on: April 24, 2007, 04:35:33 PM »

Last Sunday around 1:00 PM my wife & I were returning form an overnight stay while riding with another couple. Shortly after leaving from a stop due to a confused truck driver, my wife left the highway on her 2007 FLHX flipping several times before coming to rest face down in the grass. I fortunately did not witness this as I was in lead rounding a slight curve. After not seeing anyone make the curve behind me I prayed & returned to find her. She was airlifted to Houston where I rode on to meet her. She suffered 2 broken bones in her left arm, concussion & multiple bruises. Thank God that is all. The front of her H-D helmet took an extreme impact. It certainly saved her life.

After consulting with her & my friends who were riding behind her we put together what lead up to the crash. Whille entering the curve in the right lane right track position she was shifting as we had just gone about 100 yards. While attempting to upshift the rear shifter fell off. That is her last memory until flying to the hospital. This is also the second shifter that has fallen off. The first was about a month ago after leaving a dealer service. The service advisor stated then that this was a known problem. I can only guess that she felt she had completed her shift & released the clutch causing immediate engine braking & lead to her leaving the roadway in this curve. Anyone with similar problem, please let me know.

Thanks
Fuzzy
2007 FLHTCUSE2
2007FLHX

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Wife Recovering
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 04:41:31 PM »

Fuzzy,
Sorry to hear of this and I wish your wife a speedy recovery. There has been mention here of shifters getting loose/stripped, and falling off. I don't remember who the members are that had these problems but hopefully they will see this thread and respond.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 04:51:52 PM »

Fuzzy,

So sorry to hear about your wife's experience.  Thank God it was not worse and she will be up and at 'em soon.  You will both be in my prayers.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 04:57:50 PM »

I'm glad your wife will be OK Fuzzy. My thoughts are with you guys! Here's wishing her a speedy and full recovery. I hope she has the heart to get back on when she's up to it and this didn't scare her from ever riding again. Best of luck to the both of you. And yes, shifter arms fall off of all models unfortunately. The problem is, you probably only find that out when you go to shift. It's too late then as your wife found out. Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 04:58:28 PM »

Fuzzy, I wish your wife a speedy recovery.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 05:08:07 PM »

Fuzzy...wishing your wife a speedy recovery with no lasting damage to mind or body.  Thank goodness she was not traveling any faster, and she had the helmet on when it happened.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 05:11:54 PM »

Thank goodness she was wearing a helmet and the bones will heal wishing her a speedy recovery  :)

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 05:14:01 PM »

Fuzzy,

Sorry to hear the bad news!  Prayers for your wife to heal up soon so she can hop back on.  You were probably blessed not to have to watch it occur.

I just returned from Maui last week -- I rented 07 Ultra to ride around the island.  The front toe shifter quit working (splines stripped) and continued riding using heal shifter.
The rental guy said that it happens on all the harleys that they rent sooner or later.  I've heard a lot of chatter in our forum and in the v-twin forum that this is a common problem.

BTW...  GF works in Neuro Trauma in large Houston hospital that receives Life Flight patients (nameless of course) and said most generally the MC drivers/riders who wear helmets end up walking out of the place and the bad cases NEVER have helmets on.  I support anyone's right to choose, but my head is always covered.

Mark

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 05:16:21 PM »

Fuzzy - glad your wife was not hurt worse than she was and glad she was wearing her helmet.  Hope she has a speedy recovery and does not let this deter her from riding in the future.

On the shift levers getting loose/falling off - a problem on Harleys as well as other bike manufacturers.  I have had it happen myself, but not lately.  Blue loctite on bolts, plumbers teflon tape, and even string have been used to tighten them up.  I am sure you will eventually talk to the dealer about this one.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 07:49:35 PM »

Fuzzy,
Sorry to hear of your wife's accident, but glad to hear she was not more seriously hurt.  Hope she mends quickly.  I'll keep you both in my thoughts and  prayers.
TC

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 08:23:08 PM »

Dang Fuzzy. Terrible story and our thoughts to your wife. Hopefully she fully recovers soon. I've had both shifters strip out on two different H.D.s. Didn't loose either one, just applied pressure w/ the heel or toe and felt them strip. Good luck in getting this one sorted out and again, best wishes to your wife.

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 10:26:11 PM »

Best wishes for wife's speedy recovery, Fuzzy. You'll both be in my prayers.
Jerry
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

FUZZY

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 10:35:07 PM »

Thank you all for your concern & prayers. This is a great site. The concussion is giving her the hardest time right now. Think she'll be fine if we get her past that.

I hope to see the bike & the condition of spline & shifter tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Fuzzy
2007 FLHTCUSE2
2007FLHX

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 10:38:47 PM »

Fuzzy,

Best wishes and Prayers for a speedy recovery.   
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

WaSEEG

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 10:41:19 PM »

Fuzzy

You lived my nightmare.  My wife almost always follows me when we ride and I can only imagine how you felt when you looked in the mirror and she wasn't there.  My wife and I both wish her a speedy recovery and hope she's back riding soon.

Dan
'05 SEEG
PC III usb
SE Air Filter
Freedom Pipes
Freedom Cam
SE 6-speed
VPC
Wild -1 575's
Garmin Zumo 660
Traxxion AK-20's
300mm Bitubo's

'06 Tiara S/4300

Tros

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2007, 10:47:46 PM »

My thoughts & prayers are with you both Fuzzy.  I've had a concussion with a helmet on.  I'm glad she was wearing one. 

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 11:22:42 PM »

Fuzzy,
The only thing that hurts more than going down is having a loved one go down. Best wishes to both of you from momma & me. Heal fast, love much, ride forever.

HogDude

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: Gone-05 SEEG2(never should have let her go)
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007, 11:25:47 PM »

Fuzzy,
Best wishes for your wife's speedy recover. Hope both of you are doing better !

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 12:15:22 AM »

So sorry to hear of your wife's accident.  Stuff happens, and happens fast while we are riding sometimes.  I have had a concussion - nothing to do with riding - or driving for that matter, and I did not know where I worked, where I lived what I did for a living, who I was ============= lots of not knowing.  Took months to get all the memories back.  Actually, there is no way of knowing what I got back or what I will never know that I don't know.  Head injuries are bad.  So happy to hear your wife was wearing a helmut.  May she recover quickly, and come back with a passion to ride more.  She will learn how to take mechanical probs in stride.  Now re the mechanical problems.................... WTF is wrong with getting these shifters to hold up.  Hopefully we find a cure and soon.   :cherry:

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2007, 09:10:50 AM »

Sorry to hear about your wife.  I will say a prayer for a speedy recovery sounds like it could have been alot worse.  I to have lost 2 shift lever from a bike that had just been serviced.  My solution was to do the work myself or if they do it go home and remove the shifter and add blue loctite and have never lost a lever since.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

JW

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2007, 09:25:39 AM »

I am very sorry to hear of your wife's injury.  That ride to the hospital while your wife was in the helicopter must have been a real white knuckler, not knowing.  I wish her a speedy recovery from all of her injuries.

Its shocking to me to see how many have had the same problem with something that seems so basic and seems like it should rarely if ever fail.  I am going to follow Mr. Magoo's lead with the blue loctite.
2005 Cherry SEEG-

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2007, 09:39:14 AM »

Fuzzy, my thoughts and prayers are with your wife and you for her speedy recovery. 

Truly fortunate to have the medical facilities and Life Flight systems we have here.  Thank God she was wearing a helmet.

I think WFP was the latest to have a shifter issue, don't recall the detail but it's in the SEEG thread on Kansas City GTG.  Found it, his stripped out on that trip. 
Plus my shifter linkage has stripped...bringing it to the dealer tomorrow...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 09:48:04 AM by Rjob749 »

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2007, 10:09:16 AM »

Wow, sorry for the accident.
Hope your wife heals quickly with no lasting effects.
Our prayers will be with her and your family.

I guess I should consider myself one of the lucky ones? I had a Fatboy for 9 years before this CUSE and so far no shifter problems. I always hand wash my bikes and check for loose fittings and Locktite everything I can too. Sorry your wife had a problem with hers.

FUZZY

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2007, 01:08:21 PM »

The replies here leave me with a feeling that can't be voiced effectively. A young engaged couple that witnessed the accident going the opposite direction & came back to the scene. They were very shaken & concerned as they asked my friend to let them known how she was. I have communicated with them via email & their interest for the well being of a complete stranger restores faith in mankind as does this site. You all are very much appreciated. When she feels a little better I will show her this thread. :2vrolijk_21:
2007 FLHTCUSE2
2007FLHX

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2007, 01:18:08 PM »

Best wishes for a speedy recovery...

my Shifter problem was different...not the heel and toe arms themselves but the inner riser to the shifter linkage from that same spline shaft.  The set screw threads were a little worn and would allow it to fall off....I added a zip tie which kept it on but then allowed the spline threads to wear as it loosened later.

One thing I will have checked is the status of the motor mounts...I noticed a significant amount of vibration in the shifter as I let my toe touch it after having the dealer replace the spline shaft and riser.  Shaking and baking could contribute to the loosening.

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2007, 01:20:13 PM »

Fuzzy;
Your wife and you are in my thoughts, I can't imagine the horror you must have felt when you came back to the scene. I hope for a speedy recovery for her.

harleydiva

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2007, 03:16:16 PM »

So sorry to hear of your wife's accident and glad to hear that her injuries weren't extensive.  I'm glad to hear she had on a helmet.  I hope that she is well soon. 

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2007, 07:35:12 PM »

FUZZY
SORRY FOR THE WIFES ACCIDENT. HOPE SHE RECOVERS SOON. 
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

FUZZY

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2007, 08:21:02 PM »

Went to see the bike today. The shifter was in the saddlebag. It had the bolt in it & ir was tight. The splines were good on it & the shaft. Figure that out? :nixweiss:
2007 FLHTCUSE2
2007FLHX

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2007, 08:43:54 PM »

Those more knowledgeable than I can weigh in on the shifter but it's a screwy affair there. It's off in the bag and it's not stripped. Hmm. You had a previous problem and the tech dealt with it. Hmm. I would NOT attempt to turn the allen bolt which clamps it tight. Something's amiss. I can tell you that the splines on my first stripped shifter shaft were obviously stripped as was the lever itself. The second go round on the current bike the lever stripped and the shaft was fine. Any chance you tried to slide the tightened lever onto the shaft?

Hope the wife's head is better and that she's able to take some decent pain meds.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2007, 09:23:42 PM »

Prayers for everyone involved and GOD speed!

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2007, 11:51:54 PM »

God bless both you and your wife, Fuzz.  Thankfully he was watching over you and yours.  I am also in the medical career field and helmets as well as seat belts SAVE lives.

Seegarz

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

FUZZY

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2007, 09:36:32 AM »

Thanks to everyome for the concern & well wishes. She is doing alot better. Still waiting on HD's decision for replacing the bike. Made them a pretty good offer I thought? We'll see.
2007 FLHTCUSE2
2007FLHX

HogDude

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: Gone-05 SEEG2(never should have let her go)
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2007, 01:57:07 PM »

Thanks to everyome for the concern & well wishes. She is doing alot better. Still waiting on HD's decision for replacing the bike. Made them a pretty good offer I thought? We'll see.

Fuzzy,
Glad to hear she's doing better.

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2007, 02:11:57 PM »

Fuzzy,

Thoughts and prayers out for you and the wife, soory to hear about the unfortunate accident. Just very glad it didn't turn out any worse than it did. I wish her a speedy and full recovery.

SOKOOL

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2007, 06:45:25 PM »

Fuzzy,
Glad to hear your wife is doing better and I wish her continued progress in a full recovery. Good luck with working out a deal w/MoCo that you'll be and wife will be happy with.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

charlie

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2007, 07:08:58 PM »

Hi my name is charlie, sorry to here what happend to your wife my prayers are with you and your wife. I have a 06cvo ultra about 4 months after i had it i was going down the highway about 70mph iwent to down shift and to my surprise i had nothing to down shift with,i costed to a stop called stone mt. they came to get me and fixed the bike and told me they never heard of this hapening. Iguess it has.

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2007, 05:45:40 PM »

Fuzzy

You lived my nightmare.  My wife almost always follows me when we ride and I can only imagine how you felt when you looked in the mirror and she wasn't there.  My wife and I both wish her a speedy recovery and hope she's back riding soon.

Dan

Ditto to that.  Every time I have to circle back my stomach sinks a bit ...

Fuzzy - hope all turns out well.

bc
'07 FXSTSSE
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 21 queries.