Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Motorcyclist struck by car dies  (Read 2548 times)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Motorcyclist struck by car dies
« on: May 16, 2007, 05:57:35 PM »

As reported in my local newspaper:

Motorcyclist struck by car dies  5/16/07
A 44-year-old motorcyclist struck by an automobile Thursday on Silver Slipper Lane died Tuesday. Gordon Langston was riding his 2002 Harley-Davidson when the Chevrolet Cavalier driven by 19-year-old Jeremiah Kelly turned into Langston's path. He was not wearing a helmet. Kelly faces misdemeanor charges of driving with a suspended license and a violation of right-of-way citation.

------------------------------------------------------------

We spoke on Thursday evening before the accident @ Hooters.  Not a close friend, an acquaintance.  He was declared brain dead on Saturday and passed today.  Driver that hit/killed him has a suspended license and only gets a right-of-way citation.  If you want to kill somebody in Florida, drive a car - you get a ticket.  Wrong on so many levels I do not know where to start.  I am pissed.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Motorcyclist struck by car dies
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 06:05:00 PM »

So sorry to hear this. :( My condolences go out to family and friends. This is a tragedy that shouldn't be happening anywhere. For our lawmakers to treat this as a misdemeanor is absolutely absurd. :sauer005:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 06:20:12 PM »

Iski,
     My cousin Billy was killed by a guy in a cage in a similar situation many many years ago. I was so angry when it happened and after the scene Billy's widow pulled climbing on his casket when they lowered it into the ground I was blind with rage. My mom made me promise her I wouldn't find the guy and beat him to death. What I did was find the guy's address and each day for over a month I wrote down how I was feeling and how Billy's widow was doing and how my grandmother who raised Billy and his brother Randy was doing; basically the effect of his actions on my entire family. I never heard a word from the a$$hole. My cousin Randy said it was because Billy's widow sued the guy and his lawyers made him clam up. Every time I hear about a death like you've posted here I think of Billy. I think about what it would be like to be able to ride cross country with him like I do now. He was doing it on a Honda 750 in the mid 70's. I wonder what he'd be riding for a bike. We all rode 750 Honda's back in those days. Under $2k fast as hell, why wouldn't we. Anyway, I am sorry for the angry, frustrated, empty feelings you are having now. I am sorry if you feel like you need to do something. I have no words of comfort for you and suspect that isn't what you're posting this for anyway.

B B

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 06:28:44 PM »

So sad to hear this, Mike.  Thoughts go out to all who knew and loved him.

Hopefully, the kids got a conscious...a negligent homicide, even if no time was served, would be a good reminder though.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 07:19:05 PM »

Let's face it... nothing happens to these idiots that kill bikers until the people that make the laws feel the pain.

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 07:41:05 PM »

Very sad, Mike.  My condolences to you and Gordon's family and friends are in my prayers.  When you stop and think about it, I imagine just about everyone on this forum knows someone who's been injured or killed in this same situation.  A crying shame.
TCinVA

HogDude

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: Gone-05 SEEG2(never should have let her go)
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 07:54:16 PM »

We spoke on Thursday evening before the accident @ Hooters.  Not a close friend, an acquaintance.  He was declared brain dead on Saturday and passed today.  Driver that hit/killed him has a suspended license and only gets a right-of-way citation.  If you want to kill somebody in Florida, drive a car - you get a ticket.  Wrong on so many levels I do not know where to start.  I am pissed.

Very sorry to hear about this, M.
I agree with ya.... it's just plain wrong that nothing more will be done to the driver. Was he a member of the Tally Hog Chapter ?

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 08:10:27 PM »

Thanks for the comments, prayers, and all.

Not the first time someone I know got killed by a cage with the at fault driver getting a ticket or less.  Frustrations combined with anger and sadness.

Not sure if Gordon was a member of the Tally Chapter, W. I think so.  We said a prayer for him when we heard the news on Sat.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 09:07:46 PM »

Sorry to hear Mike, like you I don't get the law when it comes to killing someone with an auto.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 05:30:51 PM »

Sad enough to hear about these accidents, but even worse when thosa who cause them get off. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

SOKOOL

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 08:54:34 PM »

Iski, I understand your frustration, and I'm sorry for you losing a fellow rider.  Just wish we knew the answer to this on-going slaughter of bikers by stupid drivers.  It seems to be getting worse and not much intervention is going on to try and quell it that I can see.  :soapbox: aaaarrrgh.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 09:19:48 AM »

I live in a medium/small town - around 200k population.  Deaths from car wrecks/bike wrecks make the news here since they do not occur daily.  Sometimes not even weekly.  It's time to change laws in some areas involving manslaughter with an automobile and not just biker specific.  End of rant.

Gordon's funeral is tomorrow.  Please offer a prayer for his family. Thanks.

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.