Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two killed in Route 80 motorcycle accidents  (Read 5402 times)

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
Two killed in Route 80 motorcycle accidents
« on: May 16, 2007, 08:43:44 PM »

http://www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070516/COMMUNITIES/705160346/1203

Two killed in Route 80 motorcycle accidents
BY NICK LIOUDIS
DAILY RECORD
Wednesday, May 16, 2007

2 Comments 
Two motorcyclists were killed in separate eastbound Route 80 accidents on Tuesday.

An unidentified man was killed Tuesday night in a Rockaway Township crash, according to State Police in Netcong.

The accident occurred around 9 p.m., and the identity of the driver was being withheld by authorities until relatives were notified.

About 16 hours earlier, a 55-year-old man was killed when he lost control of his motorcycle on a newly paved portion of the interstate in Knowlton, Warren County and was struck by another vehicle, New Jersey State Police said.

Steven Wallace of Tannersville, Pa., was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash, which occurred at 5:17 a.m. near milepost 6.3.

According to state police, Wallace was driving his 2004 Yamaha and attempted to change lanes from the left-center lane, which was newly milled as part of a resurfacing project, to the left lane, which is newly paved, when he lost control of his cycle and was thrown onto the highway.

He was struck by a 2007 Chrysler Town & Country driven by 62-year-old H.A. Williams of the Bronx, N.Y.

Both accidents remain under investigation
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

Re: Two killed in Route 80 motorcycle accidents
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 08:49:06 PM »

http://www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070516/UPDATES01/70516005

2nd Route 80 cycle victim identified
DAILY RECORD STAFF REPORT
Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Authorities have identified the victim of a fatal motorcycle crash on Route 80 on Tuesday night as a 50-year-old Lake Hopatcong man.

According to New Jersey State Police, William W. Hahl was driving his 2005 Harley Davidson motorcycle in the right lane of eastbound Route 80 near milepost 35 in Rockaway Township shortly before 9 p.m. when he struck the left rear corner of a 1997 Mack truck.

Hahl was thrown from the motorcycle, which became lodged in the rear wheels of the tractor trailer and was pulled 750 feet.

Hahl was pronounced dead at the scene at 9:12 p.m.

The truck driver, Albert Williamson, 47, of Branchville, was uninjured.

Hahl was the second motorcyclist to die on Route 80 in North Jersey on Tuesday. Earlier that morning, 55-year-old Steven Wallace of Tannersville, Pa., was killed when he lost control on uneven pavement in Knowlton, Warren County. Wallace was thrown from his cycle and struck by another vehicle, killing him
2023 CVO Road Glide

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 08:52:13 PM »

Thats sad my thoughts and prayers go out to all the families involved.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 08:53:19 PM »

Very sorry to read this.

My wife & I had one really bad wreck - 1975 - unmarked new pavement on I-35 that was 5-7" higher than the existing old pavement.  Hit the new stuff when we exited - the exit ramp was newly paved not the road.  It was just after dusk and I saw it about a second before we hit it.  Got a ride in the ambulance and an overnight in the hospital. No broken bones - we were wearing helmets - saved our lives most likely. Fixed the bike and was riding again in 3 weeks after they removed the mummy looking gauze from my arms and all.  I picked new asphalt out of the various road rash scars for many years. Tried to sue - long story with lousy end - basically my lawyer (former friend & Sunday School teacher) neglected to tell me he was also representing the road construction company.

New construction on the road gets my attention quick.  Apparently something about the construction on Route 80 - (height of new surface?) was too difficult to negotiate.  Sad.  Prayers for the families & riders.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 08:56:25 PM by iski »
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 08:59:12 PM »

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/sussex/index.ssf?/base/news-1/1179291953251190.xml&coll=1

FATALITY ON ROUTE 80
Motorcyclist killed in construction zone
Wednesday, May 16, 2007
BY MIKE FRASSINELLI
Star-Ledger Staff
A motorcyclist from Pennsylvania was killed in Warren County during rush hour yesterday morning after he lost control of his bike in a Route 80 construction zone and was run over by a minivan, police said.

State Police at Hope said Steven Wallace, 55, of Tannersville in Pennsylvania's Pocono Mountains, was traveling east on Route 80 at mile marker 6.3 in Knowlton Township when he tried to switch from the rough left-center lane to the newly paved left lane on a four-lane stretch of the highway.

Crews are milling and smoothing out the road from just east of the Delaware Water Gap toll bridge to beyond mile marker 8, the first resurfacing of that stretch of the well-traveled interstate since 1995. Drivers traveling from one lane to the other would have to straddle about a 3-inch incline from the left-center lane to the left lane, so signs alert drivers to stay in their lanes.

"There is a big difference" in the grade between the two lanes, said investigating Trooper Louis Crisafulli, who recommends that drivers follow the signs and stay in their lanes in the construction area.

Wallace lost control just after 5:15 a.m. and was thrown from his 2004 Yamaha motorcycle into the newly milled left-center lane, where he and the bike were run over by a 2007 Chrysler Town and Country driven by 62-year-old H.A. Williams of the Bronx, N.Y., police said.

The married Wallace, among the legions of commuters from the Poconos to jobs in New York City, decided to take his cycle to work on the balmy spring day.

The accident was a rush-hour nightmare for commuters, closing all but the far left lane of travel just east of mile marker 6 -- past the trio of exits for Columbia, Buttzville and Blairstown -- for nearly three hours.

Wallace was pronounced dead at the scene by Gail Durling of the Warren County Medical Examiner's Office.

Medical Examiner Isidore Mihalakis during an autopsy yesterday afternoon determined that Wallace died from "multiple injuries."

Knowlton's first aid squad responded.

The Joseph J. Pula Funeral Home in Stroudsburg, Pa., is handling arrangements
2023 CVO Road Glide

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 09:01:14 PM »

I was riding through there when I went to meet Hoist. I came up on a slower car and had looked at the difference in the pavement and decided to slow down until I got to even pavement.

Sad news to hear.
2023 CVO Road Glide

Tros

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 09:06:50 PM »

Very sad.

The shape of tires has a lot to do with how they react to various road "irregularties"  I've found the low profile 200 X 18 Dunlop (40_?) very bad about following uneven repairs (cracks/seams) to the point of actually being jerked almost into another lane.  I have a lot less issues with the round profile 16" tires on the Softail following cracks/seams.  Transitioning from milled pavement to taller fresh pavement or vis versa can be hazardous.  BTW the milled pavement often contains broken wires from those brushing machines which makes for flat tires.

HogDude

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: Gone-05 SEEG2(never should have let her go)
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 09:25:00 PM »

Very sorry to hear. My thoughts go out to their families.

<font color="Red">Tried to sue - long story with lousy end - basically my lawyer (former friend & Sunday School teacher) neglected to tell me he was also representing</font> the road construction company.

Iski,
Could you friend spell c-o-n-f-l-i-c-t of interest ?

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 10:07:46 PM »

Very sorry to hear. My thoughts go out to their families.

Iski,
Could you friend spell c-o-n-f-l-i-c-t of interest ?

Evidently it was not an ethical problem for him.  I was 22, in college, broke, and could not find a lawyer to sue him after he let the statute of limitations run out.  My business dealings with lawyers were much more cautious subsequently.  Not all lawyers are lousy rat bastards - he was.  Have some lawyer friends now even.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 05:47:54 AM »

Very sad story.  Prayers to family and friends of those lost.  Sueing does not replace the person, ever.  I know our road crews have a horrible job, and the worst hours and conditions to work in.  But one would expect that repairs could be done in a manner that would keep people safe to traverse the repair area, or the road needs to be shut down and force folks to take a detour until such times as the road surface is safe. 

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 08:49:12 AM »

Lodged in the rear tires and dragged 750 feet. Damn that conjures up some horrible imagery. My prayers go out to both families. Sometimes you never know if a loved one leaves for work in the morning and will make it home safe that night. Later,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 05:25:08 PM »

Sad to hear this, thoughts and prayers to the families and friends.

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.