Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Bad day on the Dragon  (Read 6511 times)

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
Bad day on the Dragon
« on: May 22, 2007, 12:43:16 AM »

May 19-20: Saturday was wild with Z cars, 2 strokers, V-Stroms, KLRs, Super Motos, Homeland Sportbikers, Christian Sportbike Riders, and several other groups on the Gap. So far the busiest day of the year. Sunday slowed a bit, but a serious accident marred the festivities. A Bandit passing on blind corner hit a Goldwing head-on in the Chicanes. Bandit rider was airlifted out with a compound fracture of his femur. Two lessons here ... ride the wide line and pass with extreme care. Saw some bad riding all day, both cruisers and sportbikes. Be warned, bad riding will cost you here. This comes from this link.
http://tailofthedragon.com/

Watch out for the nuts up there passing in blind corners. Some people dont care fore there safty and  could care less for ours . Happens all the time . Stay on the inside of right turns and way to the outside of left turns.
Dave

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
Re: Bad day on the Dragon
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 01:07:16 AM »

May 19-20: Saturday was wild with Z cars, 2 strokers, V-Stroms, KLRs, Super Motos, Homeland Sportbikers, Christian Sportbike Riders, and several other groups on the Gap. So far the busiest day of the year. Sunday slowed a bit, but a serious accident marred the festivities. A Bandit passing on blind corner hit a Goldwing head-on in the Chicanes. Bandit rider was airlifted out with a compound fracture of his femur. Two lessons here ... ride the wide line and pass with extreme care. Saw some bad riding all day, both cruisers and sportbikes. Be warned, bad riding will cost you here. This comes from this link.

Watch out for the nuts up there passing in blind corners. Some people dont care fore there safty and  could care less for ours . Happens all the time . Stay on the inside of right turns and way to the outside of left turns.
Dave

I just read about this on the DG website while planning our trip. I'm not sure I want to take this ride on a weekend or at all.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 01:16:18 AM »

I just read about this on the DG website while planning our trip. I'm not sure I want to take this ride on a weekend or at all.

You do want to take this ride AJ! You're rigt though, stay away on weekends especially betwen Memorial Day and Labor Day. Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 03:08:09 AM »

You do want to take this ride AJ! You're rigt though, stay away on weekends especially betwen Memorial Day and Labor Day. Hoist! 8)

I agree with Hoist ,take the ride. On the weekends ride it before 10:00 and stay away on holidays. Im just passing along some info learned by 35 years of riding on the mountain to stay safe. Never get close to the center line in a curve. You never know whats hanging over it coming the other way. When sport bikes roar up from the rear slow down and wave them around when its clear. You"ll be fine.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 03:48:14 AM »

I agree with Hoist ,take the ride. On the weekends ride it before 10:00 and stay away on holidays. Im just passing along some info learned by 35 years of riding on the mountain to stay safe. Never get close to the center line in a curve. You never know whats hanging over it coming the other way. When sport bikes roar up from the rear slow down and wave them around when its clear. You"ll be fine.

We may have to make this a week day excursion and not incorporate it into the VA trip. Good news is that it would be two trips!

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 06:45:02 AM »

Take the ride AJ, you don't want to miss it. Just take your time and ride your ride at YOUR speed.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

2006_CVO_HD

• 2008 FLHTCUSE-3
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE-3/White Frost & Silver Mist
    • www.harleydavidsonbikers.com
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 06:51:59 AM »

Take the ride AJ, you don't want to miss it. Just take your time and ride your ride at YOUR speed.

Absolutely......

There was six (6) of us there on April 29th, 2007 and it was a real blast!!!!!!
:coolblue:
LIFE BEGINS WHEN YOU GET ONE!!!!!!

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 06:58:26 AM »

My biggest enjoyment was pulling over on the side of the road and watching the crazy ppl on crotch rockets ride. NO THANKS, not my style. I mosey through it.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 07:36:45 AM »

Dave

Thanks for posting the link and info, Dave.  We have a trip planned in a couple of weeks to Franklin and will ride Deals Gap a few times - not on the weekend.  Best to stay away on holidays - too crowded.  My favorite ride and when the wife goes she enjoys it as a passenger. Wives are not making this trip and some of the guys on the trip (20 or so of us) ride the roads in that area with gusto.  Lots of fun on the twisties and Cherahala, Foothills parkway, etc. are BEAUTIFUL.

Words of warning you posted are well worth heeding - we have made quite a few trips to that area and have seen some of the worst examples of scoot riding on that stretch of road called the Dragon.  Earlier in the morning is better if you must ride it on a weekend.

Glad to read DOT is considering a truck ban on the road.  The corners are not easily negotiable for smaller trucks and trailers and the big ones cross the lines in your lane as that pic shows on the website.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire and Stardust Silver
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 07:40:43 AM »

Just ride like these two old farts and you'll be fine. We had a blast. All of the tips above are good ones too.  :2vrolijk_21:

Ride safe
2012 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire and Stardust Silver
2006 FLHTCUSE (traded in)
2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 07:58:19 AM »

I've done the Dragon a dozen times and will pass on future trips, it filled with too many crazies.

The Cherohola , Hellbender and the surrounding area as those who made the Maggie Valley trip can attest is filled with great roads much less populated by those of limited maturity and judgement.
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 08:58:53 AM »

Pinkie and I rode it one year when coming home from Sturgis. We stayed close, and came through about 8 or 9 in the morning. We were the only bike on the road, but when we got to the end and passed the motel on the NC side, you could see the sport bikers starting to stir.

It is an awesome ride, and beautiful country. Being early was the key.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 09:17:27 AM »

Sounds like getting there early is the ticket,  be careful.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 10:11:10 AM »

I've done the Dragon a dozen times and will pass on future trips, it filled with too many crazies.

The Cherohola , Hellbender and the surrounding area as those who made the Maggie Valley trip can attest is filled with great roads much less populated by those of limited maturity and judgement.

and in some cases more challenging then the dragon
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 11:27:25 AM »

My biggest enjoyment was pulling over on the side of the road and watching the crazy ppl on crotch rockets ride. NO THANKS, not my style. I mosey through it.

You should do like I did last time Ken.  Stopped ahead of everyone to grab the camera and take pictures for them as they rode through.  The got bike on the bike with teh camera still slung and wandered on through taking most excellent pictures of beautiful fall scenery and other riders as it all passed by  :2vrolijk_21: .
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.