Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clutch slippage or something down low.  (Read 2480 times)

roadking218

Clutch slippage or something down low.
« on: June 29, 2007, 01:53:33 PM »

I have an 07 FLHRSE3 it seems to have a clutch slippage problem coming right off idle after you let the clutch out and accelerate. I have Synthetic in all three holes Is there something better to use in the primary

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Clutch slippage or something down low.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 03:30:20 PM »

Hiya Roadking - be prepared to beinundated with post's this proved to be a hot topic in the past. :huepfenlol2:

Can I ask you to start a poll as to what users prefer?

roadking218

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 08:14:39 AM »

Thanks but believe it or not I have had no replies so far. I actually believe it is not the clutch because it does not slip in the max torque range. I believe it could be using the Harley synthetic in the primary. It actually feels pretty cool like a snomobile torque converter. I contacted Amsoil and they of course recomended their stuff in all three holes

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 10:15:17 AM »

Hey RK218, take a look at this thread http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=10991.msg180723#msg180723 Changing to Redline MTL will help, but if you're overpowering the stock clutch, you need help locking the clutch plates under heavy load. That's what this device does. The stock clutch is borderline for higher HP/TQ applications. I'm told this will correct that. I'm going to try to do a group buy for them. If interested, let me know. Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 10:14:18 AM »

It has been my experience that you do not want synthetic around the clutch.  The purpose of the oil at the clutch is to disapate the heat, not to lubricate, and the synthetic adheres to the plates causing slippage.  JMO 

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 10:36:45 AM »

I run synthetics in all three, there's been many threads on this, below is what I use, the Redline, the Heavy Shockproof made a big difference in the shifting, no more clunk! One question, how does the clutch release feel at the lever? All at the top or bottom, or smooth across the range? Might still want to check the adjustment next time you change the primary fluid.

Motor - Mobil1

Trans - Redline Heavy Shockproof

Primary - Redline - MTL

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 10:46:07 AM »

I run synthetics in all three, there's been many threads on this, below is what I use, the Redline, the Heavy Shockproof made a big difference in the shifting, no more clunk! One question, how does the clutch release feel at the lever? All at the top or bottom, or smooth across the range? Might still want to check the adjustment next time you change the primary fluid.

Motor - Mobil1

Trans - Redline Heavy Shockproof

Primary - Redline - MTL

I use the exact same stuff as Talon. Never had problems with lubrication or slipping. With the increased power and TQ of my build, I want to make sure this holds true! Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.