Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Isolated Drive System  (Read 8962 times)

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Isolated Drive System
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 10:45:37 PM »

Could this be the fix to our crank runout problem. Dampen the forces when we accelerate or lug the engine?  :nixweiss:

I’m with Brad. It is my sense that the IDS was added to offset the reduced capacity of the Engine’s Comp Sprocket. The peripheral benefits are returned through the seat of the pants.

djkak

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 11:10:28 PM »

I’m with Brad. It is my sense that the IDS was added to offset the reduced capacity of the Engine’s Comp Sprocket. The peripheral benefits are returned through the seat of the pants.

djkak

The ECM remap in Nov 06 for these 96/110 was for torque smoothing which is related to the compensator and lugging as well.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 11:06:46 AM »

The ECM remap in Nov 06 for these 96/110 was for torque smoothing which is related to the compensator and lugging as well.

That is my understanding as well.

djkak

.....Regarding flywheel shift, one thought that I hear kicked around is that this engine’s ability to accelerate in high gear at engine speeds near 1,500 rpm will cause the flywheels to shift. The claim is that torque spikes of 1,300 to 1,500 foot pounds can be measured at the crankpin in 6th gear under low rpm, wide open throttle conditions. I have heard that the torque smoothing recalibration is designed specifically to address this.

The new 6 speed’s primary and overall gearing place a much greater load on the engine’s compensating sprocket which results in the rapid loading and unloading of the assembly at extremely low engine rpm’s; I’ll bet the mechanical stops of this sprocket take quite a pounding under these conditions. ECM recalibration along with the rubber isolated rear wheel sprocket will allow the rider to lug the engine down well below reasonable minimums without breaking engine parts. I never add significant power while in the higher gears below 2,500 rpm; it just doesn’t feel right.....djkak

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 21 queries.