Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whistling SERK  (Read 1306 times)

HogDoc

Whistling SERK
« on: September 03, 2007, 11:07:22 PM »

Seems other people have a whistling noise from the front at speeds greater than 30 mph. I had the same damn thing and drove me nuts. Found it to be the gap from the front headlight nacelle. Go to Home Depot, get some round foam gap filler/ insulation. Cut to fit around the gap and wrap the whole thing with black electrical tape. No gap= no noise. Hope that helps others out there.
HogDoc
2007 SERK, Custom dynamics LED turn/brake. HIDS, Wizard LED show lights, Roller rockers, extra chrome goodies

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Whistling SERK
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 07:24:48 AM »

I don't hear a whistle on mine, but . . . what gap? :worthless:  Okay, not worthless, but a photo would help.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 09:29:18 AM »

I don't hear a whistle on mine, but . . . what gap? :worthless:  Okay, not worthless, but a photo would help.

Thanks HogDoc, I'd like to try it before my trip this coming weekend. As Gecko asks, which gap are you specifically talking about? Pics? Thanks for any further info you can provide HogDoc! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 09:58:20 AM »

Hmmmm - foam filler and electrical tape, not too sure about that! Is it visible?

Nige
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

bigcog1

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '11 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: '02 FLSTSI
    • CVO3: '05 ROAD ROD
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 03:05:34 PM »

I don't seem to have a whistle either, but maybe I just can't hear it. My only word of caution with the insulation technique would be to make sure you avoid trapping moisture. Water has a strange way of finding it's way into things.

Joe

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 12:57:31 PM »

Hogdoc,

Thanks for the tip. My lady's RK Custom whistles just as described. It does let me know she's on my 6 but it annoys her. And we all know if your lady ain't happy, ain't nobody happy! If you could a pic of the source of your whistle would be great.

Thanks JW

HogDoc

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 08:06:27 PM »

Ok, here are some pics of fill the gap. This is the gasket around the headlight
2007 SERK, Custom dynamics LED turn/brake. HIDS, Wizard LED show lights, Roller rockers, extra chrome goodies

HogDoc

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 08:10:06 PM »

here is the whole thing assembles with the extra "visor" nacelle. This may also be a source of whistling as there is a large gap at the bottom of the joint thanks to HD making it to small. Notice this gap is fill with folded over aluminum foil much like what the passing lamps have.

HogDoc

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 08:11:49 PM »

Here is what I used to fill the gap. I wrapped it in electrical tape to hide it better and to make a ring.

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 22 queries.