Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Transmission Question  (Read 23449 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Transmission Question
« on: May 01, 2008, 07:31:12 PM »

Trying to figure out what my options are.  Does anyone know if after a six speed HD gear set has been installed, and the case ground to allow for it, if that case can then only accept the HD gear set?  I've done the six speed conversion previously and have just significantly shelled a tranny.  Wondering if I'm locked in to the HD 6 speed gear set because of the case grinding or can exercise other options if they might interest me?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 05:48:07 PM by Twolanerider »

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Transmission Question
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 07:34:11 PM »

Trying to figure out what my options are.  Does anyone know if after a six speed HD gear set has been installed, and the case ground to allow for it, if that case can then only accept the HD gear set?  I've done the six speed conversion previously and have just significantly shelled a tranny.  Wondering if I'm locked in to the HD 6 speed gear set because of the case grinding or can exercise other options if they might interest me?

Holy chit, Don...  I don't know the answer to your question....but WTF??  I don't think I have ever heard of that happening...  What exactly happened?

I feel bummed for you.....sorry...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 07:35:47 PM »

ok, first to admit i;m not expert but havent some replaced a stock 6speed set with after market? if so you should have plenty of options.
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 07:39:19 PM »

Even if it were possible to go back to a five speed would you be happy w/that? Remember you posted somewhere about doing it right the first time.... If you are used to a six speed and like the extra gear would you be happy going to a five speed? :nixweiss: It's easy when you don't know what you missing, but suxs to have had something and not have it anymore.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 07:40:21 PM »

ok, first to admit i;m not expert but havent some replaced a stock 6speed set with after market? if so you should have plenty of options.

The whole gear box; yes.  I'm wondering about working within this case though.  There are gear sets for a lot less change from others besides HD or Baker.  Just don't know whether the case work done to allow installation of the HD branded 6 speed gears locks that case in to that product for future replacement.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 07:42:52 PM »

Even if it were possible to go back to a five speed would you be happy w/that? Remember you posted somewhere about doing it right the first time.... If you are used to a six speed and like the extra gear would you be happy going to a five speed? :nixweiss: It's easy when you don't know what you missing, but suxs to have had something and not have it anymore.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Even as a short term solution I'm not considering sliding the five speed gear set back in.  Especially with the torque supplied by the engine now, and where in the RPM range it is supplied, it's a bike that actually uses the six speed gear set.

This blows.  Am just wondering right now what among the aftermarket service alternatives can be used to ease the blow-ness.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 07:49:44 PM »

Holy chit, Don...  I don't know the answer to your question....but WTF??  I don't think I have ever heard of that happening...  What exactly happened?

I feel bummed for you.....sorry...

It's ugly Scott.  Was lazily crusing along a country road in fourth gear.  Watching fields and clouds.  It screeched for about a heartbeat then just locked up. 

Flat spotted the back tire.  Belt didn't break.  But it couldn't have been helped by the process. 

Fortunately kept the bike upright.  But god what a noise it made.  Something just broke in the tranny.

Was no hint or forewarning.  Didn't make a peep or feel at all untoward back and forth to York.  It just broke.

Gear box has approximately 20k miles on it.  But that's irrelevant to sudden failure of course.

The damn thing just broke.  And lord what a noise it makes.  Sounds like rocks in a garbage disposal.  Pulled the drain plug when I got it back in the garage.  There was an inch tall mountain of debris stuck to the magnet.  One can only imagine how much more is loose inside the gear box.

Crap.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 07:53:27 PM by Twolanerider »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 07:50:24 PM »

Even as a short term solution I'm not considering sliding the five speed gear set back in.  Especially with the torque supplied by the engine now, and where in the RPM range it is supplied, it's a bike that actually uses the six speed gear set.

This blows.  Am just wondering right now what among the aftermarket service alternatives can be used to ease the blow-ness.
True dat. Just didn't want you to look for an alternative that would only mean you have to go back and replace it later.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 07:52:53 PM »

True dat. Just didn't want you to look for an alternative that would only mean you have to go back and replace it later.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Nah, I'm pissed and frustrated.  But I outgrew those things also bringing on stupid a long time ago.  I may want to punch an inanimate (or redneck) object.  But I'm not gutting or changing a transmission twice.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 08:19:12 PM »

It's ugly Scott.  Was lazily crusing along a country road in fourth gear.  Watching fields and clouds.  It screeched for about a heartbeat then just locked up. 

Flat spotted the back tire.  Belt didn't break.  But it couldn't have been helped by the process. 

Fortunately kept the bike upright.  But god what a noise it made.  Something just broke in the tranny.

Was no hint or forewarning.  Didn't make a peep or feel at all untoward back and forth to York.  It just broke.

Gear box has approximately 20k miles on it.  But that's irrelevant to sudden failure of course.

The damn thing just broke.  And lord what a noise it makes.  Sounds like rocks in a garbage disposal.  Pulled the drain plug when I got it back in the garage.  There was an inch tall mountain of debris stuck to the magnet.  One can only imagine how much more is loose inside the gear box.

Crap.

I am glad you were able to keep it upright.  That had to be quite a ride.  I had a rear brake lock up years ago, and I was lucky to not dump it...actually came very close to doing just that.  The bushing on the rear brake lever froze while I was braking...  took my foot off the brake and the brake stayed on.  That one gave me chills, so I know this one had to be a similar ride for you.

Consider your good fortune of not going down (the bright side of your adventure today) - and then go to work finding a solution... 
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 09:14:43 PM »

Crap.
You are a lucky dude! Most riders would have laid it down. Let us know what failed in the tranny and caused the lockup.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

hogasm

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 09:28:18 PM »

Don you are only stuck if you dont have a welder for aluminum.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 09:38:17 PM »

Don you are only stuck if you dont have a welder for aluminum.

I just happen to have a 6 speed gear set in the box in the garage.
What are friends for.
If you need it call me and it will be on the way.
But I don't do installs.

SBB

And FYI, the first Harley I had (73 Sporty) was a runner till the rear axle bearing seized.
Felt like an invisible hand had grabbed the belt on my pants and didn't let go till I stopped in the middle of the road.
All in about 5 seconds.

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 09:39:56 PM »

I don't know the answer to  your question, 2Ln, but just wanted to offer my congrats on riding that thing to a upright halt.  Man, so glad it didn't happen on the FreeWay in the middle lane on a six lane at rushhour.  I think of breaking a belt in those 'nowhere to go' traffic situations, but never consider a tranny lockup.  Oh well, now you've successfully created another paranoid thought situation.  ::) har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 09:43:19 PM »

I am glad you were able to keep it upright.  That had to be quite a ride.  I had a rear brake lock up years ago, and I was lucky to not dump it...actually came very close to doing just that.  The bushing on the rear brake lever froze while I was braking...  took my foot off the brake and the brake stayed on.  That one gave me chills, so I know this one had to be a similar ride for you.

Consider your good fortune of not going down (the bright side of your adventure today) - and then go to work finding a solution... 

I know there was some good fortune to it.  Was only doing 45 or so but it still could have gone down real quick.  It stayed upright and I didn't even soil my saddle.  So after that it's just parts I guess.

The bike was running so well though.  And after fighting the thing all last year I was really looking forward to just riding it now.  No more temperamental bike and just some fun on the road.

I know, I know, anything can fail at any time.  And this has nothing to do with anything that's been done elsewhere.  Just "one of those things."  But it's still annoying and I still think the bike knew I was leaving for Sedona in a couple of days and just wanted to remind me it knows the Travel Gods on a first name basis (and I don't).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 21 queries.