Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Transmission Question  (Read 23448 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Transmission Question
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 09:50:58 PM »

You are a lucky dude! Most riders would have laid it down. Let us know what failed in the tranny and caused the lockup.

I know.  But I'm still not feeling the love from it right at the moment.  Wrecked my old 57 vette a month and a a half or so ago.  Totally destroyed and the other guy didn't have insurance.  Bought the Road Glide the weekend before.  The damn toys have to stop costing so much and start giving at least some good riding back in return.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 09:57:15 PM »

Don you are only stuck if you dont have a welder for aluminum.

Will start making some calls tomorrow Brian.  If they'll work within this case I might consider some of the considerably lesser expensive aftermarket gearsets.  I know of two Revtechs that have been in service for >15K so will find out more about those at least.

I can weld up aluminum if need be.  Though that welder is in the shop and the bike is in the garage.  Easiest enough to bring the welder to the bike though.  Ideally I'll hope to find something that can just slide in though. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 10:01:41 PM »

I just happen to have a 6 speed gear set in the box in the garage.
What are friends for.
If you need it call me and it will be on the way.
But I don't do installs.

SBB

And FYI, the first Harley I had (73 Sporty) was a runner till the rear axle bearing seized.
Felt like an invisible hand had grabbed the belt on my pants and didn't let go till I stopped in the middle of the road.
All in about 5 seconds.

Gear set?  Really?  Just exploring alternatives tonight so it is of course worth the phone call.  Be calling in a few. 

That "invisible hand" thing is a good description of what this felt like.  That moment's screech got me at least toward the clutch which might or might not have kept the bike upgright (just don't know for sure).  But it was surely a sudden pull down from the rear.

Here's the drain plug.  And that's just what didn't fall off.  Or what didn't glop out with the fluid.  Or the several times that amount I didn't dig out with an extandable little magnet.  Once again; crap.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 10:03:36 PM »

I don't know the answer to  your question, 2Ln, but just wanted to offer my congrats on riding that thing to a upright halt.  Man, so glad it didn't happen on the FreeWay in the middle lane on a six lane at rushhour.  I think of breaking a belt in those 'nowhere to go' traffic situations, but never consider a tranny lockup.  Oh well, now you've successfully created another paranoid thought situation.  ::) har!  spyder

Thank you sir.  I know I lucked out for not putting the bike down.  This last few minutes has been (I suppose) my catharsis to get a little less pissed off too.  But I'm still a grumpy SOB for awhile.....

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 10:15:02 PM »

I know.  But I'm still not feeling the love from it right at the moment.  Wrecked my old 57 vette a month and a a half or so ago.  Totally destroyed and the other guy didn't have insurance.  Bought the Road Glide the weekend before.  The damn toys have to stop costing so much and start giving at least some good riding back in return.

Sorry to hear of all your misfortune Don.  The good news is that you are alright and it didn't happen on the way home from York.  Can't offer a solution, just good thoughts.  A gear swap would be the easiest if the case is ok..  You at least know how to fix it once you know what will go in your old case.  The drain plug looks nasty.   Let us know what you do.

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 10:30:50 PM »

Man, I'm  starting to become paranoid about riding these things over 10mph. What transmission oil were you using?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2008, 10:34:43 PM »

Man, I'm  starting to become paranoid about riding these things over 10mph. What transmission oil were you using?

The good stuff.  Redline synthetic.  This was a sudden failure though.  Something almost certainly just broke.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 10:49:37 PM »

Don I am just glad you are able to type at this point in time. The bike should have gone down. You are lucky and a very experienced rider.

OK now for the news. If I remember correctly once the case has been ground to accept the HD 6 speed that is all you can use from this point on. Unless you remove the trannie case and get really creative with your heliarc.

So I am soooo Glad you didn't go down, but I didn't want to be the bearer of bad news.

If I can be of any assistance please pick up the phone and call me. OH and BTW I will check with Axil tomorrow in the AM to be sure about the case.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

dsmbagger

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2008, 11:40:53 PM »

WOW!!! sorry to hear about the troubles....

You can look at the S+S 6 speed cassete.It should work with a case already modded for a S/e 6 speed. This tranny does have different gearing though so be aware...

http://www.sscycle.com/modules/instruction/uploads/51-1232.pdf

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2008, 12:07:04 AM »

Don I am just glad you are able to type at this point in time. The bike should have gone down. You are lucky and a very experienced rider.

OK now for the news. If I remember correctly once the case has been ground to accept the HD 6 speed that is all you can use from this point on. Unless you remove the trannie case and get really creative with your heliarc.

So I am soooo Glad you didn't go down, but I didn't want to be the bearer of bad news.

If I can be of any assistance please pick up the phone and call me. OH and BTW I will check with Axil tomorrow in the AM to be sure about the case.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Thanks Mike.  I can't take too much credit for it not going down.  It just didn't.  Most I did was help a little.  But the bike was doing a whole lot more than I was.

What you're saying about the tranny case is what I've started to find out a bit more this evening.  The six speed install is the only work I didn't do to the bike.  Dealer had a 25% parts and labor winter install special going on two winters ago and I had another 25% off coupon thing and put them both toward the tranny job. 

Never worked inside one of these little gear boxes on any other either.  So having to figure out what's what as I go.  Probably need a few tools I don't have too.  (double crap)

From something I just read on Baker's website the case clearancing required for the SE gear set is more extensive than anyone elses.  It does seem that once it's gone Harley it can't go back to any other six speed.  While that means some lesser expensive options are not available I guess the benefit is I don't have to decide between anything else.  Lucky me.... 

Have found two sources saying or suggesting the case is permanently Harley once ground; all agreeing with your confirmation here.  Oh well....

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2008, 12:07:57 AM »

WOW!!! sorry to hear about the troubles....

You can look at the S+S 6 speed cassete.It should work with a case already modded for a S/e 6 speed. This tranny does have different gearing though so be aware...

http://www.sscycle.com/modules/instruction/uploads/51-1232.pdf

Had not looked at that one.  Thanks for the cite :2vrolijk_21: .

dsmbagger

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2008, 12:14:27 AM »

No problem..I have never used one but there is more clearancing required to install this tranny. I have done a bunch of s/e's and bakers and this one looks just as good a unit. I am going to try one on my 117 soon. I really think this will work if it fits your riding style.

Thank you, i owed ya one since you gave me the color of the powdercoating...

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2008, 01:19:09 AM »

No problem..I have never used one but there is more clearancing required to install this tranny. I have done a bunch of s/e's and bakers and this one looks just as good a unit. I am going to try one on my 117 soon. I really think this will work if it fits your riding style.

Thank you, i owed ya one since you gave me the color of the powdercoating...

Well, bugger.  Just read something on the S&S website that said their tranny nor gear set were compatible with the hydraulic clutch.  Will ask them the question directly for more clarification tomorrow.  But for now appears as another strike.

REGGAB

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2008, 04:40:50 AM »

Don,
WHEW!  You're Blessed!   :2vrolijk_21:
I know you're gonna do it anyway, but figured I'd ask.  Once you complete the teardown, would you please post an analysis and probable cause?  Thx.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2008, 05:04:14 AM »

Don,
Sorry to hear of the transmission dissintegration, but extremely glad to hear that nothing happened to you.  Parts can be replaced, you can't.  :2vrolijk_21:  Be interesting to find out what happened and see what kind of metal failure it was.  I've never heard of transmission doing that before, so very interested.  Let us know.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.