Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Baker F6F for HD Cruise Drive Trans Improvements  (Read 8583 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Baker F6F for HD Cruise Drive Trans Improvements
« on: May 03, 2008, 09:59:53 AM »

Anyone tried this yet. While researching for Don's transmission options, I spent some time looking at this. It seems like a really good mod. It can be coupled with a trans pulley/belt change for regearing too. Looks like it make make a good winter mod. Chit man, I'm running out of stuff to do already! And won't be doing a fairing either! ;D ;)

Baker F6F for HD Cruise Drive Transmissions: http://www.bakerdrivetrain.com/f6f/index.htm#sp9

Loud fifth gear is a very common complaint with stock Factory Six-Speeds. So BAKER DRIVETRAIN has stepped forward with an upgrade that will surely make your stock transmission sound so quiet that you’ll think BAKER built the whole dang thing! Our kit features helical cut diamond ground gears, 28% wider bearings, a 1/8” thick bearing retainer plate, and a billet aluminum bearing door. All this combines to give you the advantage of a quieter 5th gear, and no clutch lever walking.
Additional features that the F6F offer are:

No 5th gear whine
Reduces drivetrain lash in 5th gear
Stylish 12 pt. ARP fasteners
Fully chromed billet aluminum bearing door
Quiet diamond ground gears
Heavy duty bearings
No wimpy snap rings
Direct bolt in assembly
BAKER Recal box – INCLUDED!
Reduce Noise:
The answer for your Harley-Davidson Cruise Drive to Upgrade that Noisy 5th Gear. Smooth it up and quiet it down.

Add Strength:
Engine builders are finding the F6F is a necessary part of any moderate, or greater, TC96 engine performance work. With increased power output the axial forces from the helical gears, especially in 2nd and 3rd gear, increase significantly to the point of deforming or breaking the snap rings in the door. The F6F uses a steel plate with 6 screws to positively secure the bearings against the axial thrust forces generated by the helical gears.

The F6F Kit includes:

Smooth Helical 5th Gear Pair
Billet Door for Strength and Rigidity
Heavy-Duty Bearings are 28% Wider than Stock
Steel Bearing Retaining Plate replaces OEM Snap Ring Design
BAKER Speedo Recalibration Box
12-Point ARP Fasteners
2-Year BAKER Limited Warranty
Available for the 2006 Dyna, and all 2007-up H-D models (excluding Sportster and V-Rod) with the 6 speed transmission.

All that wrapped up with BAKER’s dependable and unbeatable 2 year warranty; and just in time, too! Released December '06.

And here's the info on the pulley changes:

30-tooth or 31-tooth h-d® 2006-up cruise drive™ pulleys

Get more oomph from a throttle-wick on your 2007 stock Harley-Davidson FL. Our 30-Tooth or 31-Tooth transmission pulleys effectively ‘gear down’ the bike to optimize the performance in two major ways.

First, you’ll get more torque and power from the take-off gears. This remedies the common criticism of the new bikes being a little sluggish off the line for some riders.

Second, you can utilize the 6th gear at a slower, more reasonable highway speed for a more comfortable RPM. These pulleys bring the cruising gears down a notch for finessing your ride.

Performance details are as follow:

Increase Rear Wheel Torque (30T- 7% Increase / 31T- 3% Increase)
Cruising RPM 6th gear (75MPH) 30T @ 2830 / 31T @ 2756
No more lugging the motor in 6th gear at lower cruising speeds (60-70 MPH)
Note: Will require the use of a 1 tooth shorter belt (For example: H-D p/n 40056-07 is for FL) 2 ¼” special Pulley nut socket required for replacement available from Baker Drivetrain. p/n 94660-07BD

Hoist! 8)

"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Baker F6F for HD Cruise Drive Trans Improvements
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 10:08:43 AM »

Can you really hear a little gear noise over Cybil's pipes?

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 10:15:13 AM »

The IDS pulley is all you need for the fifth gear prob. I don't even think about it anymore.

When they come out with a whole new gearset with a lower first and better spacing, I'll be talking to Mr. Baker.

Right now, no mods needed.

:indian_chief:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 10:52:08 AM »

Can you really hear a little gear noise over Cybil's pipes?

Nope, don't have a 5th gear noise problem at all (not with the peformance Fatcats!). I do like the idea of the strength of these pieces vs stock though. That trap door looks great and so do the gears. Throwing the 31 toorh on at the same time will allow me to use 6th once in awhile too! ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

hogasm

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 12:19:50 PM »

Howie....NO matter how much you spend on the Baker F6F......the rest of the trany is still a piece of chit!!!!....and guess what :nixweiss: since you went into the trany, Harley can say that the F6F caused the problem any you are out of luck :soapbox:

Well hell you were out of luck when you bought that piece of  :coolblue:

Run Amsoil 90-140 in the trany and spent the other grand on some other problem that IS going to occur :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 02:27:51 PM »

Howie....NO matter how much you spend on the Baker F6F......the rest of the trany is still a piece of chit!!!!....and guess what :nixweiss: since you went into the trany, Harley can say that the F6F caused the problem any you are out of luck :soapbox:

Run Amsoil 90-140 in the trany and spent the other grand on some other problem that IS going to occur :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks Brian. Makes sense. I'm having no problems with the tranny whatsoever as of now. Guess I'll just wait for it to break and replace it completely when that happens! ;)

Like I really GAS about that! FTF & FTW!!! ::) :)

Hoist! 8)

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 06:35:44 PM »

Never hear any whine in 5th but like the pulley idea.  Hoist who's pulleys are they and do you have part #'s?  That's sounds like it would cure the tall first gear.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 06:40:46 PM »

I have a motto   If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

When the transmission on my 07 Road Glide breaks, I'll replace it with a BakerDD6.

Until then - - - - - c'est la vie

B B

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 07:09:59 PM »

Never hear any whine in 5th but like the pulley idea.  Hoist who's pulleys are they and do you have part #'s?  That's sounds like it would cure the tall first gear.

It's also from Baker and it's all on their website under Cruise Drive Mods '06 Dyna/'07's/'08's.

Hoist! 8)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 07:15:01 PM »

The more I read posts like some on this thread, the more I am sure that perfect hearing is more curse than blessing.

I feel vibrations. Minute things maybe everyone feels maybe not, I don't know. What I do know is that I KNOW when my motorcycle is not performing as it did when new. I have yet to have something break and strand me ( knock wood) because I didn't "hear" it first

B B

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 09:24:00 AM »

At the dealer they said you  could lower primary drive to do same thing. Supposely they put a bigger drive sprocket on our chrank shaft and by putting a smaller sprocket there will help gearing problems and will save on time ,parts,and labor costs.  RIDE SAFE JDO

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 09:49:34 AM »

At the dealer they said you  could lower primary drive to do same thing. Supposely they put a bigger drive sprocket on our chrank shaft and by putting a smaller sprocket there will help gearing problems and will save on time ,parts,and labor costs.  RIDE SAFE JDO

The comp gearing change loses your comp sprocket and goes to a fixed sprocket. That's why the tranny side pulley change sounded better to me. I'd rather keep a comp sprocket on the motor. ;)

Hoist! 8)

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 09:51:53 AM »

I wouldn't mind playing with their new 7-speed

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2008, 10:04:32 AM »

:2vrolijk_21:

I think Spiderman has the best approach; ride it until it blows, then throw the entire POS into the weeds and buy a DD6.  I haven't seen a lot of discussion about the Cruise Drive trans, other than the noise issue, but just looking at the cheap design makes me believe that trans reliability will be a big problem down the road. 

BTW, I still haven't seen it on their web site, but I understand from other sources that Baker has or will have shortly a 7 speed gear set for the Cruise Drive that will fix the lower gear spacing issue some have complained about.  I have to believe that Bert Baker gets on his knees and thanks the Lord every night for the cheap bastards running the MoCo.  They have made him a wealthy man so far, and it looks like it only gets better (for him, anyway).

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008, 10:58:13 AM »

:2vrolijk_21:

I think Spiderman has the best approach; ride it until it blows, then throw the entire POS into the weeds and buy a DD6.  I haven't seen a lot of discussion about the Cruise Drive trans, other than the noise issue, but just looking at the cheap design makes me believe that trans reliability will be a big problem down the road. 

BTW, I still haven't seen it on their web site, but I understand from other sources that Baker has or will have shortly a 7 speed gear set for the Cruise Drive that will fix the lower gear spacing issue some have complained about.  I have to believe that Bert Baker gets on his knees and thanks the Lord every night for the cheap bastards running the MoCo.  They have made him a wealthy man so far, and it looks like it only gets better (for him, anyway).

Jerry

I talked to them at length about a replacement for the Cruise Drive gear set and the only thing they had that would fit was the F6F, but hinted that something BIG would be out later, which sounds like the 7spd we're hearing rumors about. Offering a replacement 6 would not be a big seller, but a 7 is interesting. Give them a year to get the bugs worked out and we'll see.

:indian_chief:
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.