Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: '09 SE Roadglide  (Read 9981 times)

Harleyjohn59

'09 SE Roadglide
« on: September 01, 2008, 03:34:06 PM »

This is going to be short, I will elaborate at another time.  Truth be known, I'm at work so can't spend a lot of time writing about this although I could describe in excruciating detail the ride to an from Milwaukee but I won't at this time.  I will say that if you are looking for a Screaming Eagle roadbike then you better stay with the Ultra because truthfully, this ain't no roadbike!  The suspension on this bike is terrible, the shorter shocks, new frame and larger wheels and tires take a lot of the cushion away from this ride.  It was down right uncomfortable at times and it had very little to do with the seat. I would never in a hundred years consider riding this bike to Sturgis and I'm no p*ssy, I ride to all the events but the thought of doing a thousand miles in one day on this bike makes me whimper!
I'm not kidding guys, my membership in this elite club could be short lived, I want my old bike back.  This is a great short run bike but that's it unless you happen to find 900 miles of very flat road then I would consider it, otherwise, give me my old FLTR back and now.
I am having the suspension checked as we speak but the jury is still out on this one.  Maybe this on is for you younger bucks but my old butt needs some additional padding. 
Anyone else have a comment about the ride, I would love to hear about your experience.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 03:37:33 PM by Fired00d »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: '09 SE Roadglide
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 03:38:21 PM »

Have you checked the shocks to see how much (if they had any) air is in them?

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 03:39:30 PM »

Wow

That is not a good report.   Do you have on the original wind deflector ?? or did you change to a windshield

jcd520

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 03:50:09 PM »

Generally speaking --------- if you are a serious rider ------lowered bikes just simply don't do the job the standard suspension ones do. I realize not everyone is the same height and all but if you lower your suspension to get that slammed look , and then do the 18" tires on top of that ----well you just ain't gonna get that nice smooth ride. Expansion joints on freeways will throw you over the bars at 75 and thats all there is to it. I've ridden several lowered bikes like the flhx etc and they just don't do it for me. The new SERG is beautiful and I am considering one , but the first thing I would do is put stock suspension on it and a touring windshield--------if your going further than the bar its a necessity! CD

rasmusmi

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 04:26:32 PM »

Hmmm...interesting. ??? :-\ However, current issues from several national motorcycle magazines have given the 2009 SERG rave reviews.:bananarock:

I rode an '08 stock Roadglide last week and compared to my 2003 SERK it rode like a dream. They correctly named it road "glide", as glide it does..IMO. :2vrolijk_21:

Like Ricky Nelson once sang.."You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself". I'm staying on my dealer's list for a 2009 SERG in orange & black! :orange:

weamdog

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 FLHTCUSE4
    • Virtual Garage
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 04:48:58 PM »

I have the ultra and coming from a soft tail i too noticed "a stiffer ride".  As far as comparison, I'd say it would be like going from a sedan to a vette.  Wish I would have ridden an 08 tourer just to have a better idea of the change, but all in all I'm not complaining and love the feel.  I did hit a small dip today unexpectedly which probably made me 1/4" shorter, i survived, but it was quite an awakening.  I know my soft tail would have handled this dip much better.  I haven't checked the air pressure, but I was told at delivery that it was set for my weight.  Guess I'll have to check it now because the suspension doesn't budge when i get on.  The only thing that budges when i hop on is the seat.
'00 FLSTS
'09 FLHTCUSE4 (Autumn Haze/Octane Orange)

MikeD

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 04:59:43 PM »

I came from a SEEG to the SERG and I can say the exact opposite!  Check your shocks for air. The bike rides true to me and my wife and I both love the suspension.  I though it was a huge improvement from my SEEG.

IRyde

• Chrome!! Zippin' by on an Electra Glide... Dual Tail Pipes... Doin' 105... In The Broad Daylight... On a Two Lane... Headin' Outta Town!!!!
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE2
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 07:04:40 PM »

jcd520,

With the way my bike ended up by having an 18" on the back and the badlander seat it definitely affected the ride comfort level.  I put up with it for quite a while.  If your shocks end up being OK and you still do not like the ride still consider the Arnott air shocks.  It ended "for me" being the best of both worlds.  Slammed when I want it or hit the switch and bring the rear up for comfort.  Even when the bike is about 1/2" up I have found it more comfortable than the stock shocks.

MikeD

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 08:21:54 PM »

Iryde,
I had the same set up on the same bike, 05 nana SEEG with a 21 and an 18.  Definitely felt the bumps.  The 18 and the set up on the SERG is like butter!

customryder

• Senior CVO Member
  • I'LL be your Huckelberry.

• CVO1: fxr4 2000 orange
    • CVO2: flhtcse 2004 blue/black
    • CVO3: CVO3 2005 elecrta glide CVO4 2009 roaglide CVO5 2012 roadglide skunk CVO6 2013 cvo roadglide atomic orange
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 09:20:29 PM »

felt the same back braking ride ... I ck rear air in shocks... zero... I put 20psi in it & felt better... Im with you this bike is not as smooth as my 07 R G .. more vibration & less sysp travel.. & the seat it like a brick... I guess I will go with the 440s like I did on my 05 banana .. they may help..

it does take the curves better & is more fun to ride...   I have build many bikes & the prettier they are the less useable\ comfortable they are..

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 09:22:44 PM by customryder »
2009 cvo road glide...2007 streetglide...................... cvo member #513
2009 f-350 Harley edt.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 09:25:24 PM »

Sounds like they need 1" taller Traxxion AK-20's up front and 330 (13") bitubos in the rear! Did the trick for my SERK3 with an 18 up front and 17 in the rear!!! ;)!!! ;)

Guaranteed it will feel much more like a road bike, even with those wheels! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 09:30:46 PM »

WOW. Just shocked and amazed by #1. Just did 11 hrs. and I'm very pleased w/ the ride. 40# in the shocks w/ the BSR and loaded and the comparison to the SEEG is very pos. For a stock seat I was very pleased. Back rest helped and did some squirmin around but I'd give the seat a B. As for the suspension, yep, felt the big bumps but that's expected. Areas of road grinding were smooth as butter. Boogied through the ramps and curves w/ no issues. Passed everything on the road and just flat enjoyed the ride. Sorry your not happy w/ the bike but put a for sale sign on it and you'll probably make a couple grand.

sblair

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 10:42:20 PM »

I think its the new frame and suspension on all the 09's.  I was at the dealer yesterday and sat on a 09 standard RoadGlide and its at least an inch taller than my 06 RG and the supension did not budge! Front forks did not compress at all.  It felt solid.   Having the SERG slammed (per say!) has removed 3/4 inche from the height.  And going into it we all should know that low profile tires will make the ride a little stiffer.

If you having some issues then air up the shocks and air down the tires!  Harley seat is a harley seat!
CVO1-2009 Silver SERG
CVO2-2011 Rio Red RUSE

tdowell65

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 SEUC 8
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 08:50:56 AM »

I have to agree with some of the comments here.  My Rg is a little stiffer than my 06 SE Ultra but it makes up for it in the corners and on the bad highways.  I noticed it doesn't give as much on the bumps as the 06 ultra.  But I can go into corners and out of them with the rg that I wouldn't even try on on my ultra.  I can ride the bike as opposed to sitting on the bike.  I bet with some adjustments and some add on's You could make that bike ride as good as the ultra. 
What air pressure are you guys running in the shocks with one up?
I may try putting on the aftermarket shocks as everybody that does that say's it makes a world of difference on any bike.

harleyman

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 11:40:38 PM »

i agree with you on the stiff suspension, just finished 1700 mile  ride to durango co. i had`15lbs on suspencion maybe needed more, however i really love the bike  how rides so smooth, like the way it handles in curves and the high speed stability. i think its alot better bike than my last seuc 2008. i did not feel any wobbling at 80 plus miles like i used to feel on my se ultras. like the power and the torque.i am so pleased with the bike that i will like to make it into an ultra classic with the touring package and radio system. i wanted to test ride the seuc 09 at the dealer but it was raining. hopefully it rides as good as the rg because i have one on order the red one.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 21 queries.