Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fuel injection managment  (Read 2634 times)

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 SE Fat Boy
    • CVO2: Blown 150HP 09 SE Road Glide
    • CVO3: No need to go further!
fuel injection managment
« on: October 07, 2008, 11:39:41 PM »

The best way to go hands down for the big power number is the Thundermax ECM replacement. A wide band, self adjusting and infinitely adjustable replacement for the stock ECM. This ECM will self adjust after the base setting is installed will self adjust for any future performance change (cams, exhaust, ect.).  I am told it will be available around the first of the year for the new electric throttle or "TBW" application. A stock narrow band ECM is simply a manual box compaired to a wide band ECM that tunes itself for weather and altitude as you ride. I have knowlege of 118hp and 123Ft LBS out of a 110 at or local dealer with the Thundermax ECM (throttle cables). The company has a list you can get on for the new release.
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide
Re: fuel injection managment
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 07:35:32 AM »

The best way to go hands down for the big power number is the Thundermax ECM replacement. A wide band, self adjusting and infinitely adjustable replacement for the stock ECM. This ECM will self adjust after the base setting is installed will self adjust for any future performance change (cams, exhaust, ect.).  I am told it will be available around the first of the year for the new electric throttle or "TBW" application. A stock narrow band ECM is simply a manual box compaired to a wide band ECM that tunes itself for weather and altitude as you ride. I have knowlege of 118hp and 123Ft LBS out of a 110 at or local dealer with the Thundermax ECM (throttle cables). The company has a list you can get on for the new release.

Very interesting option.  It probably would be the best bet for guys that are changing their engine configurations often.  The biggest issue I personally see with this is that it would nuke Digital Tech that the dealers use for service.  They plug into the ECM to do everything.  The ECM module is also the interface to the security system control (e.g. auto arm, FOB replacements, ignition disable, etc).  Removing the ECM completely would likely cause warranty and other issues. 

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 08:01:28 AM »

Try that out , and if you have a problem in B.F.E. and they say, what's this???? We aren't touching it, it's not HD and you can't get a hold of Zipper's...Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 10:49:11 AM »

I used the T max for a few months last year.  Never could get the bike to run well and the mileage was chit.  Zippers customer service (another oxymoron) is non existent.  Pulled the T max off, replaced it with a Power Commander and life had been good!

For an objective opinion, ask Mr. Twolanerider for his thoughts....   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

eddfive

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 12:09:13 PM »

The DELPHI ECU is way ahead of the replacement ECU's in capability and functionality.  The replacement ECU's on the market(except S&S) do not take advantage of the Ion sensing system that the Delphi uses.  This is a great feature for excursions in fuel quality or those rare occasions when the motor might be "lugged".  The Ion Sensing and Spark Knock capability will remove timing in these occasional excursions so that detonation will not harm the motor.  I use the Ion Sensing capability when tuning to get the motor to the highest efficiency then the Spark Knock capability is there for insurance.  The Delphi system uses Manifold Air Pressure for one of the parameters of adjustment which will allow the ECU to adjust over a wider range of riding conditions.  Any of the systems out there that program the Delphi system directly are the way to go so you do not go backwards in capability.  The replacement ECU's will tune fuel correctly but have no way of making any adjustments if the motor is pinging.  My experience has shown me that a professionally tuned Delphi ECU on a Harley will have better overall driveability, performance and rideability compared to the replacement ECU's.  I have pulled several replacement ECU's off this year and gone back to the OEM Delphi system and a tuner that programs the Delphi system. Some people might consider Dyno tuning the Delphi ECU a disadvantage, well if the tuning is done correctly then the bike will perform better than it ever has.  Dyno tuning is a 3-6 hour job done correctly.  I have seen where it takes hundreds of miles of riding to tune in the AFR's on a replacement ECU.  Even after getting the AFR's auto-tuned correctly they are not correct for 100% of the area the ECU will have to go like anything above 70% or 80% throttle.  Some of the Autotune systems also have trouble dealing with idle area and the deceleration areas.  It still is a personal choice on what you do with your $30K motorcycle and if you like to tinker and change things frequently (air flow through the motor) then a replacement ECU might be for you.  If you want to do some upgrades and just want to hit the button and ride anywhere in the country the Delphi ECU with a tuner that programs the Delphi ECU is the way to go.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 12:37:25 PM »

The DELPHI ECU is way ahead of the replacement ECU's in capability and functionality.  The replacement ECU's on the market(except S&S) do not take advantage of the Ion sensing system that the Delphi uses.  This is a great feature for excursions in fuel quality or those rare occasions when the motor might be "lugged".  The Ion Sensing and Spark Knock capability will remove timing in these occasional excursions so that detonation will not harm the motor.  I use the Ion Sensing capability when tuning to get the motor to the highest efficiency then the Spark Knock capability is there for insurance.  The Delphi system uses Manifold Air Pressure for one of the parameters of adjustment which will allow the ECU to adjust over a wider range of riding conditions.  Any of the systems out there that program the Delphi system directly are the way to go so you do not go backwards in capability.  The replacement ECU's will tune fuel correctly but have no way of making any adjustments if the motor is pinging.  My experience has shown me that a professionally tuned Delphi ECU on a Harley will have better overall driveability, performance and rideability compared to the replacement ECU's.  I have pulled several replacement ECU's off this year and gone back to the OEM Delphi system and a tuner that programs the Delphi system. Some people might consider Dyno tuning the Delphi ECU a disadvantage, well if the tuning is done correctly then the bike will perform better than it ever has.  Dyno tuning is a 3-6 hour job done correctly.  I have seen where it takes hundreds of miles of riding to tune in the AFR's on a replacement ECU.  Even after getting the AFR's auto-tuned correctly they are not correct for 100% of the area the ECU will have to go like anything above 70% or 80% throttle.  Some of the Autotune systems also have trouble dealing with idle area and the deceleration areas.  It still is a personal choice on what you do with your $30K motorcycle and if you like to tinker and change things frequently (air flow through the motor) then a replacement ECU might be for you.  If you want to do some upgrades and just want to hit the button and ride anywhere in the country the Delphi ECU with a tuner that programs the Delphi ECU is the way to go.

Couldn't agree more...  :2vrolijk_21:   Especially if the goal is to just get on and ride!
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 09:41:52 PM »

Now that I am getting some great in put and my opinion is changing. This is an excellent place to test what you are fed by the experts. Thanks and keep it comming!
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 02:37:55 PM »

I completely agree with the first post that the Thundermax ECM and the company behind it are outstanding, responsible, respectful, effective and indeed penultimate products and vendors.  But I'm also stoned higher than Sarah Palin's hairdo :bananarock: :drink: .

The Thundermax has promise.  Have always conceded that.  But it's far (far far far far far [far far far]) from bullet proof.  The company's canned maps used to start are too often not accurate.  There are almost no tuners around the country to dail them in.  The "autotuning" function too often makes poor choices rather than good ones.  And may god help you if you need support from the vendor after the fact.  Crap shoot at best. 

Do you really want to be three days out and some untold hundreds of miles from home with a non-OE ignition system that almost no one besides the vendor knows and have the rest of your trip dependent on a crap shoot?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 02:42:28 PM »

I completely agree with the first post that the Thundermax ECM and the company behind it are outstanding, responsible, respectful, effective and indeed penultimate products and vendors.  But I'm also stoned higher than Sarah Palin's hairdo :bananarock: :drink: .

The Thundermax has promise.  Have always conceded that.  But it's far (far far far far far [far far far]) from bullet proof.  The company's canned maps used to start are too often not accurate.  There are almost no tuners around the country to dail them in.  The "autotuning" function too often makes poor choices rather than good ones.  And may god help you if you need support from the vendor after the fact.  Crap shoot at best. 

Do you really want to be three days out and some untold hundreds of miles from home with a non-OE ignition system that almost no one besides the vendor knows and have the rest of your trip dependent on a crap shoot?
Why did I think of you when I read that first post...... because I'm your brotha from anotha motha. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

BTW - Welcome home Chithead!!! ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 03:31:49 PM »

Why did I think of you when I read that first post...... because I'm your brotha from anotha motha. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

BTW - Welcome home Chithead!!! ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

No doubt man.  Readin' my mind.  Anyway, isn't it one of those guy-sins to knowinly allow someone else to get caught in their Zippers :nixweiss: ?

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 05:10:40 PM »

This post has saved me from untold expense and aggravation. I can't thank you enough for the excellent advise!

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.