Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20

Author Topic: Cam chain tensioners  (Read 52106 times)

TallyClassic

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Cam chain tensioners
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2009, 02:01:54 PM »

Went to my local Harley dealer and asked for what the bottom line is on upgrading to this cam plate\oil pump\tensioners.  He said a grand.  That sounded high to me.  So I asked to make sure that included the lifters and pushrods.  He said they don't have to be replaced since the cams don't come out.

He then questioned why I knew I had to replace them.  Even though I have 25k miles, he said they dont check until 40-50k.  Sure maybe on the new bikes....he knew I had the old shoes......

Doesn't sound right to me.... :-\

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2009, 02:43:40 PM »

Went to my local Harley dealer and asked for what the bottom line is on upgrading to this cam plate\oil pump\tensioners.  He said a grand.  That sounded high to me.  So I asked to make sure that included the lifters and pushrods.  He said they don't have to be replaced since the cams don't come out.

He then questioned why I knew I had to replace them.  Even though I have 25k miles, he said they dont check until 40-50k.  Sure maybe on the new bikes....he knew I had the old shoes......

TallyClassic, I checked mine at 50K and they were less than 1/2 worn......still in there, although I'm considering the new 'upgrade' that you are now.  Will probably change  around 60K just for peace of mind (and to get the increased oil pressure).  :2vrolijk_21: har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2009, 02:54:59 PM »

TallyClassic, I checked mine at 50K and they were less than 1/2 worn......still in there, although I'm considering the new 'upgrade' that you are now.  Will probably change  around 60K just for peace of mind (and to get the increased oil pressure).  :2vrolijk_21: har!  spyder

Wish there was rhyme or reason to the wear on these things Spyder.  On the red bike they came in the high teens for miles.  Nearly gone.  Would not have lasted to 25k.  The SERG had 21k or so when they were removed last last year and looked not quite new.  More than mere witness marks on them.  But not much more.

A friend here had us look at his last fall.  They were like yours.  Almost 50k and still good.  Even though Candy Ryan's didn't come out in time to save her engine she did get good mileage (comparatively speaking) out of her shoes as well.  Jamey got even more as I remember.  But another rider here locally had to change his at 20k out of fear for all the crap showing up in the filter.  And they were shot.

Pulling pipes and cam cover isn't a big deal.  Once in awhile.  But doing it every winter just to be sure of cam shoes is annoying.  And if one rides a decent number of miles that might be the only safe schedule.  It's worth some expense to eliminate the hassle and avoid the worry.

TallyClassic

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2009, 02:56:42 PM »

I told the service manager that I'd pull the cam cover off and visually check the shoes before committing to doing the install.  So if the pads are good, I could still install the Baisley Spring to help the oil pressure in the meantime.......

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2009, 02:58:57 PM »

I told the service manager that I'd pull the cam cover off and visually check the shoes before committing to doing the install.  So if the pads are good, I could still install the Baisley Spring to help the oil pressure in the meantime.......

That's affirmed.  And if the cams do come out go ahead and change the inner cam bearings for the Torrington style bearings.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2009, 03:02:53 PM »

Wish there was rhyme or reason to the wear on these things Spyder.  On the red bike they came in the high teens for miles.  Nearly gone.  Would not have lasted to 25k.  The SERG had 21k or so when they were removed last last year and looked not quite new.  More than mere witness marks on them.  But not much more.

A friend here had us look at his last fall.  They were like yours.  Almost 50k and still good.  Even though Candy Ryan's didn't come out in time to save her engine she did get good mileage (comparatively speaking) out of her shoes as well.  Jamey got even more as I remember.  But another rider here locally had to change his at 20k out of fear for all the crap showing up in the filter.  And they were shot.

Pulling pipes and cam cover isn't a big deal.  Once in awhile.  But doing it every winter just to be sure of cam shoes is annoying.  And if one rides a decent number of miles that might be the only safe schedule.  It's worth some expense to eliminate the hassle and avoid the worry.
I know.  I truly believe it's the luck of getting a chain that didn't have the sharp stamped edges that makes the difference.  I was feeling like I'd just replace mine every 60K or so and keep the same chain since it didn't appear to be wearing them out very fast, but this new 'kit' with the plate & better oil pump makes me probably change out now.  Satisfied w/ everything else in the motor (right now).  :huepfenlol2: har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2009, 03:08:08 PM »

I know.  I truly believe it's the luck of getting a chain that didn't have the sharp stamped edges that makes the difference.  I was feeling like I'd just replace mine every 60K or so and keep the same chain since it didn't appear to be wearing them out very fast, but this new 'kit' with the plate & better oil pump makes me probably change out now.  Satisfied w/ everything else in the motor (right now).  :huepfenlol2: har!  spyder

The new parts package certainly makes the change a tempting one.  Would be a relatively simple Saturday chore and comparatively inexpensive.  Hot oil pressure with the OE pump and plate could often be something that made you wish you didn't have a gauge so wouldn't think about it anyway.  All tolled it's a lot of benefit to be gained for a surprisingly fair cost compared to the aftermarket.  You almost have to wonder if someone at P&A was imbibing of some particular happiness inducer before they set the price point for this kit.

TallyClassic

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2009, 03:14:32 PM »

I agree...it's so tempting.  But not for a grand to let the HD dealer do it.  If the cams are not coming out, I cannot think of any expensive tools to do this myself.  No bearing puller or press would be needed if the cams are not coming out.

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

• CVO1: 04 B/B SEEG
    • CVO2: 05 Two-Tone Candy Cherry
    • CVO3: 04 FORD 4x4 Super Duty Turbo Diesel HD "Corporate Colors"
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2009, 03:43:58 PM »

or you could just put in a gear drive

Yeah, everyone says they hate the (whine?) noise from the gear drive. I tell them they shouldn't do this until they get new pipes, I can't hear anything!  :pumpkin:

But as Don said, I was over 40,000 miles when I made the change and could have gone farther, and from the looks of this new upgrade this may be the way we go for Candy's bike next winter.
Candy's downtime file
My Tensioners
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2009, 05:21:07 PM »

I just replace the cam chain tensioners on my '06 Se Ultra.  16,000 miles.  New tensioners, cam bearings, roller bearings, ball bearings, adjustable push rods, the Feuling cam plate and Feuling oil pump.  Parts and labor came to right at $1,500.

Seminolebagger

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2009, 07:58:16 PM »

I don't post here much but I had to respond to what your dealer said.  You can't change any of the above mentioned parts Without removing the cams.  I am not sure what he was thinking. 

Tim

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2009, 08:03:42 PM »

I agree...it's so tempting.  But not for a grand to let the HD dealer do it.  If the cams are not coming out, I cannot think of any expensive tools to do this myself.  No bearing puller or press would be needed if the cams are not coming out.

I don't post here much but I had to respond to what your dealer said.  You can't change any of the above mentioned parts Without removing the cams.  I am not sure what he was thinking. 

Tim

Had missed that earlier.  Definitely so.  And while the cams are out might as well put in the better cam bearings as they're too inexpensive not to use when you've gone to all that trouble.

If one is considering doing this himself the cam tools aren't that expensive though.  From Georgre's Garage or elsewhere for less than the dealer is going to charge for labor.  Get two or three buddies to split the cost and share the tools or put them up on eBay after you're done.  It'd be a cheap task either way.

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2009, 10:26:59 PM »

Push rods have to be replaced when do this work.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2009, 12:37:33 AM »

no the pushrods dont have to be replaced...

cams, lifters, pushrods, etc all stay the same

to

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2009, 08:14:27 AM »

no the pushrods dont have to be replaced...

cams, lifters, pushrods, etc all stay the same

to

I thought the existing cams had to be replaced due to different chain/sprocket match-up?  Is that wrong?  :nixweiss: spyder
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.