Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Wind from below  (Read 2042 times)

xcmoose

• CVO1: CVO O/B Road Glide
Wind from below
« on: May 04, 2009, 01:23:17 PM »

Would like opions from the ROAD Glide people, Have this new orange/black serg loving it. I have one concern, I have always road electri glides before not used to having wind coming up from below on me. Does any one think lowers like the 2000 serg had would help this issue Thanks people
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 02:03:57 PM by xcmoose »

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Wind from below
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 01:45:00 PM »

A number of members have installed lowers on their SERG, mostly to stay warm.  They must think they help.  We don't seem to need them in So. Cal.  ;D

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

jettjocky

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 0/B 09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 01:50:41 PM »

Just an opinion, lowers are good for two things,
1) for getting dirty
2) for over heating and already hot engine.

Chaps or heated chaps are the way (again in my opinion) to go.
10.5 SE pistons, roller rocker arms, Headquarters  575 cams, SE push rods. 100 HP. 119 lbs. torque Progressive F/R

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 02:42:57 PM »

My view on this subject is this. The SERG looks great without the lowers, but still I got them for wind/rain/cold protection. I rode the first 5 months without and was fine. When I had my lowers painted and installed I realized that I had taken the bike to another dimension, Full Bagger. the color scheme works great, but when I rode it the first time I knew I liked them on. Now granted, it has been cold and the protection works, I said that when the temps rose to the point that it was detrimental to the motor I would take them off. Couple weeks ago we were in the 80's so off with lowers. was watching the oil temp and it still stayed around 227-230., just fine. I put them back on for the trip to Eureka Springs, and I again will watch the temps, but after all the mods and TTS, the bike is running much cooler.
As far as more to clean..............ya, so what.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 02:57:02 PM »

I'll have lowers someday, probably come fall. I've got them on my SEEG and had them on previous EGs. They work and I never overheated.

TBird

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG O/B
    • CVO2: 08 SERK Annie (Traded)
    • CVO3: 05 Springer Classic
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 03:25:18 PM »

You could always get some Desert Dawgs, they are cheap and you can take them on and off in a few seconds and store them in your saddlebag. They don't protect like lowers but they keep the rain off your boots and legs. I have some for my SERK and will get them for my SERG. Here is a review and contact info http://www.thunderpress.net/MONTH_ARTICLE-pdfs/2008/0108/DesertDawgsRe/DesertDawgsRe.shtml
"We might be divorced but your still my sister"

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 03:58:04 PM »

Would like opions from the ROAD Glide people, Have this new orange/black serg loving it. I have one concern, I have always road electri glides before not used to having wind coming up from below on me. Does any one think lowers like the 2000 serg had would help this issue Thanks people
My Lowers work extremely well, in stock form they were almost too efficient, I trimmed a couple of inches from the inner scoop and now they give good protection but I get a lot less heat buildup around my legs.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 04:59:19 PM »

I also use the soft lowers in case of rain , otherwise they are in the saddlebag .
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

BillH

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLTRI
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 05:17:57 PM »

I have an '08 RG (non-CVO).  I am 6'4", and the stock windshield didn't work for me.  Got the ClearView +2" and it was great but still noticed some buffeting coming from "below" somewhere.  I found that I could affect the buffeting by different leg positions and angles.  I installed a set of the soft lowers, and they solved ALL the problem.  Takes about a minute to install/remove, are cheap, and best of all - no more buffeting!

For what it's worth.

Billh
2008 FLTRI - 103, S&S 570 cams, SE cam plate, Ness Big Sucker, Woods lifters, GMR adjustable pushrods, Lozano Brothers heads, HPI 54mm throttle body mod, Supertrapp 2:1, SE compensator, BDL +1 clutch TTS tuner w/GMR Dyno, Ricor fork valves, Progressive 440's, Wild 1 515's bars, HID's, TrueTrack, J&M 71/2" speakers, Clearview +2, lots of other small stuff.

xcmoose

• CVO1: CVO O/B Road Glide
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 07:04:27 PM »

billh thats exactly what I'm talking about not looking for cold or rain protection trying to figure out why that wind comes up into my face. I may look for set of lowers just for that. Thanks Roadglide owners

BillH

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLTRI
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 11:15:07 PM »

xcmoose -

These are what I use...it's a cheap fix in my opinion. Our RG's are the best road bike made...it just takes a little fine tuning to get them right for us individually.  (Especially the Red ones)

http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/PROD/4420.html

For what it's worth.

Billh
2008 FLTRI - 103, S&S 570 cams, SE cam plate, Ness Big Sucker, Woods lifters, GMR adjustable pushrods, Lozano Brothers heads, HPI 54mm throttle body mod, Supertrapp 2:1, SE compensator, BDL +1 clutch TTS tuner w/GMR Dyno, Ricor fork valves, Progressive 440's, Wild 1 515's bars, HID's, TrueTrack, J&M 71/2" speakers, Clearview +2, lots of other small stuff.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 09:59:01 AM »

i have lowers on both of my tr's. wouldn't leave home without them. :orange:

i did take the fork baffle off to help the air flow to the motor. :nixweiss:

and i do live in the hot-humid south. sometimes i do have to throw my leg up to allow air flow up my britches. :-\

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

serghaven

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 11:32:04 AM »

Okay, maybe a dumb question.  :-\ But, do they not make some after market air flow kit for the lowers that will help cool the motor. I thought I seen a set on a SERG somewhere. :nixweiss:

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 11:36:32 AM »

Okay, maybe a dumb question.  :-\ But, do they not make some after market air flow kit for the lowers that will help cool the motor. I thought I seen a set on a SERG somewhere. :nixweiss:

They're vented lowers.  The SEUC's have them.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Big-T

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09" SERG O&B
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 06:55:19 AM »

If you look at the lowers they appear to scoop more air onto the motor. I would think the bike would run cooler but not the passenger. T.
Never too old to Rock N Roll but too young to die!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.