Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Author Topic: THE FIX for SERG seat issues  (Read 30305 times)

ZOOMballs

• Junior CVO Member
  • Me and my shadow
THE FIX for SERG seat issues
« on: July 30, 2009, 07:05:40 PM »

This Harley-Davidson part # 51799-06. Is a BLACK (not chrome) Heritage seat bracket. Looks fine IMO. Installing this bracket on your SERG seat will, move the seat forward enough to reach/touch the console, AND allow the frame mounted seat tab to reach futher into the slot on the bottom of the seat. That stops the seat from pulling lose at the front mount. I've installed this on my SERG, it is the fix. The part sells for $14.99 if you have to buy it. The service mgr at Smith Bro H-D gave it to me. Mine was the only SERG they got, so it was their first dealings with the seat issue. I hope this helps some. I know....... :worthless: I just can't seem to get them posted.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 08:15:54 PM by ZOOMballs »

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: THE FIX for SERG seat issues
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 07:09:20 PM »

;)   :coolblue:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Big-T

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09" SERG O&B
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 08:23:31 PM »

I say we sue em. T.
Never too old to Rock N Roll but too young to die!

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 09:24:03 PM »

You knew this was coming, BUT I had to do it...

:worthless:

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

bearingman

• CVO1: Silver FLTRSE3
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 12:40:37 AM »

How can you move the seat forward, and still match up with the rear screw?
I'm all for it if it works.  And yeah, a picture would be nice.
Some days you're the windshield; some days you're the bug.

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 01:17:26 AM »

This Harley-Davidson part # 51799-06. Is a BLACK (not chrome) Heritage seat bracket. Looks fine IMO. Installing this bracket on your SERG seat will, move the seat forward enough to reach/touch the console, AND allow the frame mounted seat tab to reach futher into the slot on the bottom of the seat. That stops the seat from pulling lose at the front mount. I've installed this on my SERG, it is the fix. The part sells for $14.99 if you have to buy it. The service mgr at Smith Bro H-D gave it to me. Mine was the only SERG they got, so it was their first dealings with the seat issue. I hope this helps some. I know....... :worthless: I just can't seem to get them posted.

Thank you, for the info, I would refer to "The Fix" as a patch.

One of the many problems with my stock seat is the cheap plastic seat pan made to accept a metal tongue attached to the bike, I had the stock seat on my bike for 2 weeks and noticed wear at the seat pan where the tongue inserted. The cheap flexible seat pan needs to be rigid, thus, stable to limit if not eliminate the damage caused by vibration and normal riding habits. 

bandit

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3, TP, Saddleman Explorer
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 08:32:39 AM »

what about the BSR-backrest, if you move the seat forward?

Bandit  :-\
It is not that we have less time, it is much time that we use wrong.

bandit

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3, TP, Saddleman Explorer
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 08:37:43 AM »

something mis-typed?

It is not that we have less time, it is much time that we use wrong.

ZOOMballs

• Junior CVO Member
  • Me and my shadow
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 10:43:19 AM »

How can you move the seat forward, and still match up with the rear screw?
I'm all for it if it works.  And yeah, a picture would be nice.
The replacement bracket is longer. When you mount it to the seat, it sticks out from under the seat further, so it reaches the mounting hole on the fender. I tried for over an hour to post the pix. If you want to send me a e-mail address. I'll gladly send them to you.

ZOOMballs

• Junior CVO Member
  • Me and my shadow
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 10:56:51 AM »

what about the BSR-backrest, if you move the seat forward?

Bandit  :-\
The difference is about 3/4". Doesn't affect the backrest enough to matter IMO.

ZOOMballs

• Junior CVO Member
  • Me and my shadow
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 11:06:05 AM »

Thank you, for the info, I would refer to "The Fix" as a patch.

One of the many problems with my stock seat is the cheap plastic seat pan made to accept a metal tongue attached to the bike, I had the stock seat on my bike for 2 weeks and noticed wear at the seat pan where the tongue inserted. The cheap flexible seat pan needs to be rigid, thus, stable to limit if not eliminate the damage caused by vibration and normal riding habits. 
You're right.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 02:51:45 PM »

I agree, the seat repositioning is only a bandaid, not a true fix.

But as long as we're all living with this problem right now, except those that have gone elsewhere for a new seat, this may be a satisfactory bandaid.

I read the posts about the "other" rear seat bracket.  I took out the rear hold down bolt and then repositioned the seat as forward as far as I could; this was about 1".  I took off the original chrome bracket and measure it.  It's made from 11 gauge steel chrome plated.  After measuring the piece I opened up AutoCAD and drew up a replacement with about a 1" longer point to the rear bolt hole.

While at work yesterday I went to the machine shop foreman with my AutoCAD drawn seat bracket in .dxf on a floppy disc.  He loaded it into our Omax water jet and in just a couple minutes we were cutting 11 gauge stainless steel to the new longer dimensions.

This is what it looked like out of the water jet.

After using my little vise powered press brake from Harbor Freight, this is the new bracket with the old one along side for comparison.

This is the NEW bracket installed with the extra 1" forward relocation.  I didn't spend a lot of time polishing the whole bracket, just the edges and the part that showed behind the seat.  As you can see from the picture, it looks like chrome and will never rust, AND it's stronger than the original stamped steel bracket; not that strength is an issue here.

This is what the seat looks like now with the new bracket installed.  Before the new bracket, the seat was about 1/2" from the bottom of the console and looked very bad.  Shame on HD for such a lousy bit of design engineering.

I have just over 800 miles on the bike and I weigh in at about #275.  The seat at the very first looked great, in the show room.  After I rode a bit it was way back while riding and would eventually go back to the console.  After a couple weeks of riding it has found a new "home" position that was not to my liking.  As all the others, it left that lovely gap showing without anyone on the bike.  Right now when I sit on the seat it pulls just a bit from the console but goes back when I get off the seat.  I hope that the seat will not wander any further now that's it's kind of broken in.

I showed my wife how the '08 Sundowner seat fits the bike and it want WAY up the console about 1" and when I sat on the seat and bounced up and down it didn't even budge a fraction.  

Again, this is not rocket science HD, make the seat fit and lets all move on.

I agree that this is not our problem, even for the guys that have bought replacement seats, we all need to stick together and demand that this be addressed.  Then afterwards if you want to use another more comfortable seat, do so.  BUT HD needs to make this right for us.

At my 1000 first service I'm going to get with my NEW dealership and do a bit of complaining.  I don't think they've sold all that many of the SERG's this years, so this could be relatively new to them.  But being a new problem they may fight more for me, who knows at this juncture.

But for you guys that are looking for a temp solution and don't care that the bracket is black, the longer Heritage bracket may be an answer.

Just thought I'd show you guys what I've done as it may be very close to what the Heritage bracket looks like.

:)  :)  :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 03:08:43 PM »

But as long as we're all living with this problem right now, except those that have gone elsewhere for a new seat, this may be a satisfactory bandaid.

I read the posts about the "other" rear seat bracket.  I took out the rear hold down bolt and then repositioned the seat as forward as far as I could; this was about 1".  I took off the original chrome bracket and measure it.  It's made from 11 gauge steel chrome plated.  After measuring the piece I opened up AutoCAD and drew up a replacement with about a 1" longer point to the rear bolt hole.

While at work yesterday I went to the machine shop foreman with my AutoCAD drawn seat bracket in .dxf on a floppy disc.  He loaded it into our Omax water jet and in just a couple minutes we were cutting 11 gauge stainless steel to the new longer dimensions.

After using my little vise powered press brake from Harbor Freight, this is the new bracket with the old one along side for comparison.

This is the NEW bracket installed with the extra 1" forward relocation.  I didn't spend a lot of time polishing the whole bracket, just the edges and the part that showed behind the seat.  As you can see from the picture, it looks like chrome and will never rust, AND it's stronger than the original stamped steel bracket; not that strength is an issue here.

This is what the seat looks like now with the new bracket installed.  Before the new bracket, the seat was about 1/2" from the bottom of the console and looked very bad.  Shame on HD for such a lousy bit of design engineering.

I have just over 800 miles on the bike and I weigh in at about #275.  The seat at the very first looked great, in the show room.  After I rode a bit it was way back while riding and would eventually go back to the console.  After a couple weeks of riding it has found a new "home" position that was not to my liking.  As all the others, it left that lovely gap showing without anyone on the bike.  Right now when I sit on the seat it pulls just a bit from the console but goes back when I get off the seat.  I hope that the seat will not wander any further now that's it's kind of broken in.

I showed my wife how the '08 Sundowner seat fits the bike and it want WAY up the console about 1" and when I sat on the seat and bounced up and down it didn't even budge a fraction.  

I agree that this is not our problem, even for the guys that have bought replacement seats, we all need to stick together and demand that this be addressed.  Then afterwards if you want to use another more comfortable seat, do so.  BUT HD needs to make this right for us.

At my 1000 first service I'm going to get with my NEW dealership and do a bit of complaining.  I don't think they've sold all that many of the SERG's this years, so this could be relatively new to them.  But being a new problem they may fight more for me, who knows at this juncture.

But for you guys that are looking for a temp solution and don't care that the bracket is black, the longer Heritage bracket may be an answer.

Just thought I'd show you guys what I've done as it may be very close to what the Heritage bracket looks like.

:)  :)  :)

I agree 100%. Believe me all my posts regarding the seat pan, foam, etc.. have been forwarded from my Dealer to HD manufacturing.

ZOOMballs

• Junior CVO Member
  • Me and my shadow
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 08:18:56 PM »

:)  :)  :)Very nice! I like your "bandaid" even better. You should be able to sell a few of those, if you wanted to. It looks like more of a "FIX" then we'll ever get from the MOCO.

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE Autumn Haze/Carbon Dust
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 05:32:29 AM »

I achieved the same result by drilling out the center hole on the stock bracket and moving that hole to the rear position.  It's only attached with the one rear bolt bit it works!   :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 21 queries.