Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Fuel Gauge Interchange Question -- 02-03 vs 04 and up  (Read 11574 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Fuel Gauge Interchange Question -- 02-03 vs 04 and up
« on: November 28, 2009, 10:24:21 AM »

Just looking at the flush mount fuel gauge and gas cap sets.  Noticed fitment was 04 and newer in the Harley branded parts while Kuryakyn's is 02 and up.

Looks like the connection from the gauge harness to the bike is via the same 4 pin AMP connector in either 02 or 04 so the difference seems not to be that physical connection.  For some reason couldn't download Kuryakyn's instruction sheet at the moment so not yet able to see if the difference is better detailed there.

Does anyone know if the 04 specified gauge from Harley can work on an 02?  Or what the specific differences might be to keep it from working?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Fuel Gauge Interchange Question -- 02-03 vs 04 and up
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 11:48:37 AM »

Just looking at the flush mount fuel gauge and gas cap sets.  Noticed fitment was 04 and newer in the Harley branded parts while Kuryakyn's is 02 and up.

Looks like the connection from the gauge harness to the bike is via the same 4 pin AMP connector in either 02 or 04 so the difference seems not to be that physical connection.  For some reason couldn't download Kuryakyn's instruction sheet at the moment so not yet able to see if the difference is better detailed there.

Does anyone know if the 04 specified gauge from Harley can work on an 02?  Or what the specific differences might be to keep it from working?

When you figgur that one out, lemme know how to get the HD Blue LED Flush one to work on a BLUE3 please! Thanks Scarecrow!!! :2vrolijk_21: ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 11:56:33 AM »

Finally got this done on my WG2. Didn't do it myself (so it would work when finished) but, according to the Gary Williams, Service Manager at Sun HD in Denver (303-287-7576) it has to do with differences in electrical resistance (already over my head). You have to put a resistor in the newer models to step down the power to 1.21 jigawatts (or something like that). Results can be seen in post 281 & 282 of this thread:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=27725.0

It took me a while to get my dealer to attempt this and I had to get them on the phone with Gary to convince them it could be done, but it can, and has been done. Give Gary a call if you need to. He's a great guy. He did the WG2 fuel tank cutting and mounting job for me as well. A dealer guy willing to think outside the HD box.

Mod on.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 11:59:10 AM by Buy early »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 11:56:34 AM »

When you figgur that one out, lemme know how to get the HD Blue LED Flush one to work on a BLUE3 please! Thanks Scarecrow!!! :2vrolijk_21: ;)

Hadn't even thought about that.  Was only bouncing around whatever the difference might be from 02-03 and the 04-07 units.  I've got no idea what might have changed for 08 and up though.  Never had one of those in my hand.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 12:08:08 PM »

Finally got this done on my WG2. Didn't do it myself (so it would work when finished) but, according to the Gary Williams, Service Manager at Sun HD in Denver (303-287-7576) it has to do with differences in electrical resistance (already over my head). You have to put a resistor in the newer models to step down the power to 1.21 jigawatts (or something like that). Results can be seen in post 281 & 282 of this thread:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=27725.0

It took me a while to get my dealer to attempt this and I had to get them on the phone with Gary to convince them it could be done, but it can, and has been done. Give Gary a call if you need to. He's a great guy. He did the WG2 fuel tank cutting and mounting job for me as well. A dealer guy willing to think outside the HD box.

Mod on.

Thanks Mark.  Had wondered if some impedance difference might be it.  If it's just an impedance difference in the measure of the sending unit I might already have this beat too.  Have both the sending unit/pump assembly originally from the 02 and another around here out of an 05 Road King tank that I helped a guy convert to a Road Glide.

Have not held the two side by side yet but recollection is that visually they're identical.  I know the pumps and filters interchange.  Will call the dealership parts counter and see if the sending unit itself has the same part number for 02 and 05.  If they are in fact different the newer gauge might just be a plug and play installation with the 05 sending unit I've got.

Now if there was only a version of this with red LEDs instead of blue....

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 12:16:32 PM »

Ok, wasn't that easy.  Sending unit in both 02 and 05 is 75205-02. 

Need a schematic for 02-03 and 04-07 to see what's different.  Think I've got a multi-year Clymer manual around somewhere that has those.  That damn book has never been any good for anything else.  Maybe it'll finally serve a purpose.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 12:23:45 PM »

Holy crap, I didn't just help solve an electrical problem did I? That's way out of my league. I guess never taking "No, it can't be done." as the answer has its benefits.

Another one of my life sayings is "You don't have to know the answer as long as you know someone who does." In my job, processes and answers change so frequently, I rarely commit an answer or process to memory any more. I just remember who I heard it from and refer folks to them.

Hope you get it figured out Twolane.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 12:31:03 PM »

Thanks Mark.  Had wondered if some impedance difference might be it.  If it's just an impedance difference in the measure of the sending unit I might already have this beat too.  Have both the sending unit/pump assembly originally from the 02 and another around here out of an 05 Road King tank that I helped a guy convert to a Road Glide.

Have not held the two side by side yet but recollection is that visually they're identical.  I know the pumps and filters interchange.  Will call the dealership parts counter and see if the sending unit itself has the same part number for 02 and 05.  If they are in fact different the newer gauge might just be a plug and play installation with the 05 sending unit I've got.

Now if there was only a version of this with red LEDs instead of blue....

There is! My SERK came with RED LED Flush Mount Gauge. My SM changed it to the BLUE for me! ;)

The P/N from my Parts Book is 63074-07. Don't know if that helps you or not.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 12:33:42 PM by Hoist! »

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 12:40:34 PM »

There is! My SERK came with RED LED Flush Mount Gauge. My SM changed it to the BLUE for me! ;)

Mine are blue, does that mean I can change them to red?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 12:42:57 PM »

Don't see why not Mark. Your parts guy should be able to find the correct P/N for the RED one, if the P/N I provided isn't the right one. I'd check it before ordering. I took it right out of my manual. ;)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 12:44:26 PM »

Cool!  Service manager swap you or you still have the old one?  I'd love to study it's backside just a bit.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 12:50:14 PM »

Cool!  Service manager swap you or you still have the old one?  I'd love to study it's backside just a bit.

No, he swapped it for me under W.....ty a few years back. Sorry.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 01:01:51 PM »

It is a good part number Mark.  Just checked it at Chicago HD. Now in a B revision so they've even corrected a few generations of problems from the original.  $116 at Chicago HD.

Also took the Clymer manual with its several years schematics to the thrown and studied for several minutes.  It makes it look like the same three wires are used for sending unit functions from 02 to 05 (book doesn't go past 05).  It also makes it look like there's a pinout difference in where those wires are placed in the AMP connector.  But, if that's correct, it's no big deal.

At least from an electrical perspective I can't see anything in these Clymer wiring diagrams that would keep a gauge that is functional in an 04 or 05 bike from working in an 02-03.  For that matter I also didn't see a resistance lead anywhere in the harness that would necessitate the resistor you described to change the impedance.

Am wondering now if the difference is in some way physical but that seems not to be the case either.  03-07 Road King tanks are the same.  There is a difference between 02 and 03 on the bottom.  But Kuryakyn's gauge fitment is 02 and up so any physical difference shouldn't involve the hole for the gauge.

Maybe the termination point is different between 02-03 and 04-07?  So the length of the harness from the gauge is different?  That wouldn't be obvious in the schematic but would account for a fitment difference the way Harley needs this stuff to be plug and play for the masses.  If so that's easily altered as needed.

Once again still don't know for sure what it is we don't know.  But the wiring diagram I looked at, combined with knowing the sending unit is the same in 02 and 05, makes it look like any gauge that functions in an 05 should function in an 02.  Even without the resistor you found yourself forced to add (as notoriously inaccurate as these things are also have to wonder if the resistor might be adjusting for normal inaccuracies too).

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 01:04:56 PM »

Well, when youze get it all figgured out, lemme know how to get the BLUE one on Joy! :2vrolijk_21: :) ;)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 01:06:49 PM »

No, he swapped it for me under W.....ty a few years back. Sorry.

No sweat.  I might just order one for potential use and to have as a study piece right now.  Would like to see where it terminates versus the termination point on the 02 harness.

If the blue that is part of the P&A kit was a replacement for your OE red one I'm going to (perhaps incorrectly) work under the assumption that if the blue unit from P&A has the 04-07 fitment the the OE red one would cover the same years.  Seeing only what the schematics in the Clymer manual let me compare and what can be extrapolated from other fitment descriptions I think it can be made to work.

The blue lit unit in the P&A book is a pair; gauge and cap.  For the cap separately would you get that part number from your manual also?

Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.451 seconds with 21 queries.