Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: '09 SERG ABS ECM Brake Flash, Still Not Good  (Read 5224 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
'09 SERG ABS ECM Brake Flash, Still Not Good
« on: April 01, 2010, 01:42:24 PM »

Hi all.

When I bought my '09 SERG last July, the ABS ECM Flash Recall was just out.  I had this done before I picked up the bike.

I've been having some ABS issues, coming on too much.

A couple weeks ago my wife and I were heading south on I-270 and in the right lane.  We came up on a truck and boat/trailer combo and I stayed in the lane.  I applied my front brake as I usually do and the ABS started to chatter.  I've had this happen a lot lately.

This morning I rode to work and while turning into our street I had to slow down quickly, but far from a panic stop.  The ABS came on and I almost missed my street.  If there had been a car/truck waiting to come out on the main street I would have not had room to turn.

I know the original flash was supposed to "help" the ABS in pavement grooves and small bumps etc, but I'm having issue on very smooth straight line braking.

Anyone else having these issues?

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Re: '09 SERG ABS ECM Brake Flash, Still Not Good
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 02:38:43 PM »

I had the flash done. Then had to have it reloaded. But I'm not having any issues like you are. The abs light would stay on continusly until the flash was reloaded..........................Fuzz
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 03:04:23 PM »

Before I had the flash done, I zoomed across oncoming lanes of traffic while cornering...twice.  Quite a pucker moment.  After the service bulletin came out..and I told my service department about it, since they hadn't heard anything about this issue..my ABS has been very predictable in a Harley sort of way. 

I would take it in and have them re-flash the computer.  You only live once.
2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 03:54:35 PM »

ABS pump has to be electrically powered.  Therefore it's fused somewhere and somehow.  If it's an isolated circuit I'd pull the damn fuse until the shop made the bike predictable to ride.

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 04:03:09 PM »

ABS pump has to be electrically powered.  Therefore it's fused somewhere and somehow.  If it's an isolated circuit I'd pull the damn fuse until the shop made the bike predictable to ride.
If it's the same as the '08 it is isolated.  It's labeled on the fuse diagram when you open the panel.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 05:26:08 PM »

Is your ABS light flashing when you start the bike? It should be then when you move above 3 MPH the ABS verifies that both speed sensors are functioning. Then the light should go out.

:bananarock: :bananarock:
     Brad

I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

serghaven

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 08:36:53 PM »

Anyone know if the flash can be done with my TTS tuner map (not stock) Or do I drop the stock map on and have the flash done, then install the non stock map when I get back home?   :nixweiss:

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 10:43:55 PM »

Is your ABS light flashing when you start the bike? It should be then when you move above 3 MPH the ABS verifies that both speed sensors are functioning. Then the light should go out.

:bananarock: :bananarock:
     Brad

The ABS light is not staying on and does come on when I start up and then goes off.

The ABS just seems to be a bit too touchy, but predictable.  It will do the same thing every time I apply very firm, but not tire shreading braking.  It will do it with both front and rear.

Like wise, do I need to do the stop map with my TTS to have this ABS reflashed?  I'd hope I could just take it in and have it updated again and be done with it.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I don't think I'm at the point of defeating the ABS by pulling a fuse, not yet anyway.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 08:44:45 AM »

i have tts on my serg and had/have no problem with the abs, or the update process. did have to get the flash done twice but the tts wasn't the culprit. :drink:

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

serghaven

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 12:50:49 PM »

Thanks TN.

JP

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEFB Sold
    • CVO2: 09 SERG o/b
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 06:13:30 PM »

Hey Dan, I have the same problem. Mine is way too sensitive also. I had the flash done about a month ago at gateway. I think it got more sensitive after the flash. I am not happy with the breaking system on this bike. Please let us know if you get this resolved.

Thanks, John

Cosmic Charlie

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 11:08:51 PM »

Anyone know if the flash can be done with my TTS tuner map (not stock) Or do I drop the stock map on and have the flash done, then install the non stock map when I get back home?   :nixweiss:

I have the TTS Master Tuner and my bike ABS was reflashed, no issue, that I ever heard ...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 11:27:05 PM by Cosmic Charlie »
2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange RG SE 110
D&D Boss Fat Cats with Ghost Pipe
CeeBaileysSuperStepContour14"
TTS Tuner
Ohlin's #3-3
J&M 7 1/4's & 250 amp
Utopia Drivers Back Rest

Nothing Left To Do But Smile Smile Smile

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 12:07:50 AM »

I'd have them redo it. It made a noticable difference in the way my SERG braked. Much more control on my part before it engages.
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 01:04:39 PM »

Hey Dan, I have the same problem. Mine is way too sensitive also. I had the flash done about a month ago at gateway. I think it got more sensitive after the flash. I am not happy with the breaking system on this bike. Please let us know if you get this resolved.

Thanks, John

John, I missed you last fall when all the guys were at Defiance.  You happened to take a side trip to one of the winery's and I missed you.  So there were ONLY three O/B SERG's that afternoon in Defiance...

I had my flash done at the 1k mile service at St. Charles HD and I had to earlier problems nor did I seem to have any issues afterwards, but this spring so far it's NOT GOOD...

I can get the front ABS to come on with just a bit more than slow down braking.  The rear bounces all over the place it seems.

And to the guys about the TTS, maybe I was confusing on my question.  I'm not really concerned that the TTS caused the issues at all.  I'm curious if when they hook back up to the ECM if my TTS map will be an issue then to the re-flashing.

Thanks to all and I'll be talking to the service manager soon.

We're going to ride down to Forest Park for the Easter Car Show tomorrow and I'll give the brakes more testing two up.

Later dudes and dudettes...

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 08:10:21 PM »

John, I missed you last fall when all the guys were at Defiance.  You happened to take a side trip to one of the winery's and I missed you.  So there were ONLY three O/B SERG's that afternoon in Defiance...

I had my flash done at the 1k mile service at St. Charles HD and I had to earlier problems nor did I seem to have any issues afterwards, but this spring so far it's NOT GOOD...

I can get the front ABS to come on with just a bit more than slow down braking.  The rear bounces all over the place it seems.

And to the guys about the TTS, maybe I was confusing on my question.  I'm not really concerned that the TTS caused the issues at all.  I'm curious if when they hook back up to the ECM if my TTS map will be an issue then to the re-flashing.

Thanks to all and I'll be talking to the service manager soon.

We're going to ride down to Forest Park for the Easter Car Show tomorrow and I'll give the brakes more testing two up.

Later dudes and dudettes...

Thanks.

the TTS is not an issue at all. :2vrolijk_21:

hope you get it worked out, after the flash was done on mine correctly it i liked it. my braking was improved. my abs has activated just a few times and worked as advertised.

good luck

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

JP

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 12:18:09 AM »

Thanks for the info TN.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 12:17:43 PM »

I've yet to make the time to go in and have it checked out.  When I do I'll update all of you...

My wife and I put about 550 miles on the bike this past weekend and really didn't go anywhere, we just rode and have a great weekend.  Here in the St. Louis MO area it was in the low 80's and sunny.  Saturday was a bit windy, but yesterday was just the best riding day I think I've ever had.

We always ride two up and do lots of slow windy roads, a lot...  I checked my mpg and we got a low of 42.2 and has high as 43.6.  Not bad in my book.

Later

Dan
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

JP

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 11:56:59 PM »

I've yet to make the time to go in and have it checked out.  When I do I'll update all of you...

My wife and I put about 550 miles on the bike this past weekend and really didn't go anywhere, we just rode and have a great weekend.  Here in the St. Louis MO area it was in the low 80's and sunny.  Saturday was a bit windy, but yesterday was just the best riding day I think I've ever had.

We always ride two up and do lots of slow windy roads, a lot...  I checked my mpg and we got a low of 42.2 and has high as 43.6.  Not bad in my book.

Later

Dan

Hey Dan...Lot's of good riding here in the STL lately. Ya i missed you guys last fall in Defiance, we should try to hook up soon and ride. I was out at Rich's a few weeks ago, assisting him with some mods on his bike. Take care, and be safe.

John

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 10:52:36 AM »

Hey Dan...Lot's of good riding here in the STL lately. Ya i missed you guys last fall in Defiance, we should try to hook up soon and ride. I was out at Rich's a few weeks ago, assisting him with some mods on his bike. Take care, and be safe.

John

It was a few Sunday's ago when Linda and I were over to Rich's.  He had the nose off doing the new speakers.  We looked at Mary's new Softail and it looks really great.  Although it's Mary's, Rich has some items to add to it... ;D  ;D  ;D

I just got my J&M 7.25" speakers yesterday from Dr. V-Twin.  $219.95 deliverd.  They have two mini speakers in each grill and then the larger 7.25" woofer from behind.  Like I've said before, I'm almost happy with the stock speakers.  So just a bit more punch will be about all I need.

Yes, we'll have to hook up for some riding this summer.

When I get time I'm going to take the bike back in for the ABS question and the seat "fix".

Dan
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE Autumn Haze/Carbon Dust
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 03:20:49 PM »

I hope you've had your bike fixed by now or pulled the ABS fuse.  With stock tires 407R & 408F, I've tried to get the ABS to engage on a wet road just so I know how it reacts/handles.  I "mashed" both at about 40-45 mph and the bike just STOPPED!  I mean in really short order!  I tried this several times on different pavements with the same result. 

I thought I might be having the opposite problems you but found the ABS will kick in when I down-shift quickly where the tire is almost skidding and when I touch the rear brake I get the familiar "chatter-pulsing" of the ABS.

When I went in to get the recall done my guy who dyno'd the bike and added the SSERT said that if he did the ABS code in the service bulletin it would nullify my tune on the SSERT.  Since I wasn't having your problems I opted not to have it done.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 21 queries.