Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harley leaves Rapid City for downtown Sturgis  (Read 1593 times)

flhse

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE
Harley leaves Rapid City for downtown Sturgis
« on: April 19, 2010, 08:46:12 PM »

Harley-Davidson moves into the heart of Sturgis for 2010 rally

MILWAUKEE (April 19, 2010) - Harley-Davidson will move its 2010 rally experience to two all-new locations in the heart of Sturgis, S.D., where the Motor Company will celebrate the 70th Annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally with customers and motorcycle enthusiasts August 6-14, 2010.
The Harley-Davidson Road Tour with the newly released 2011 Harley-Davidson® motorcycles, Genuine Motor Accessories, MotorClothes® merchandise and H.O.G.® members-only pin stop will run from Friday, Aug. 6 through Saturday, Aug. 14 at the intersection of Lazelle and 3rd streets in downtown Sturgis. All Harley-Davidson activities in Sturgis are free of charge.

Harley-Davidson demo rides for 2011 motorcycles will be available in Sturgis at a location near Interstate 90 at Exit 30. More details on the exact location, dates and hours of demo rides and other Harley-Davidson activities in Sturgis will follow in the coming weeks.

“Right smack in the middle of Sturgis seems like the ideal place for Harley-Davidson to spend the week,” said Steve Piehl, Harley-Davidson Director, Consumer Events Marketing. “We recently made a similar move to an outdoor rally experience for Daytona Bike Week this year and it was extremely popular. We listen closely to our customers and believe that they will love the new Sturgis locations for our Road Tour activities, demo rides and H.O.G. pin stop.”

In recent years, most Harley-Davidson activities for the Sturgis Rally had been located in Rapid City, S.D. at the Rushmore Plaza Civic Center. “We really enjoyed working with the staff at the Civic Center in Rapid City and have been very pleased with the service and facility over the years,” Piehl said. “We feel that our move to Sturgis will give us the opportunity to reach significantly more rally attendees than we could in Rapid City.”

For the most up-to-date information on Harley-Davidson events at the 2010 Sturgis Rally, please visit the Experience section at www.harley-davidson.com/sturgis.

Harley-Davidson Motor Company, the only major U.S.-based motorcycle manufacturer, produces heavyweight motorcycles and a complete line of motorcycle parts, accessories and general merchandise. For more information, visit Harley-Davidson's Web site at www.harley-davidson.com.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
Re: Harley leaves Rapid City for downtown Sturgis
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 08:53:18 PM »

Harley-Davidson moves into the heart of Sturgis for 2010 rally

MILWAUKEE (April 19, 2010) - Harley-Davidson will move its 2010 rally experience to two all-new locations in the heart of Sturgis, S.D., where the Motor Company will celebrate the 70th Annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally with customers and motorcycle enthusiasts August 6-14, 2010.
The Harley-Davidson Road Tour with the newly released 2011 Harley-Davidson® motorcycles, Genuine Motor Accessories, MotorClothes® merchandise and H.O.G.® members-only pin stop will run from Friday, Aug. 6 through Saturday, Aug. 14 at the intersection of Lazelle and 3rd streets in downtown Sturgis. All Harley-Davidson activities in Sturgis are free of charge.

Harley-Davidson demo rides for 2011 motorcycles will be available in Sturgis at a location near Interstate 90 at Exit 30. More details on the exact location, dates and hours of demo rides and other Harley-Davidson activities in Sturgis will follow in the coming weeks.

“Right smack in the middle of Sturgis seems like the ideal place for Harley-Davidson to spend the week,” said Steve Piehl, Harley-Davidson Director, Consumer Events Marketing. “We recently made a similar move to an outdoor rally experience for Daytona Bike Week this year and it was extremely popular. We listen closely to our customers and believe that they will love the new Sturgis locations for our Road Tour activities, demo rides and H.O.G. pin stop.”

In recent years, most Harley-Davidson activities for the Sturgis Rally had been located in Rapid City, S.D. at the Rushmore Plaza Civic Center. “We really enjoyed working with the staff at the Civic Center in Rapid City and have been very pleased with the service and facility over the years,” Piehl said. “We feel that our move to Sturgis will give us the opportunity to reach significantly more rally attendees than we could in Rapid City.”

For the most up-to-date information on Harley-Davidson events at the 2010 Sturgis Rally, please visit the Experience section at www.harley-davidson.com/sturgis.

Harley-Davidson Motor Company, the only major U.S.-based motorcycle manufacturer, produces heavyweight motorcycles and a complete line of motorcycle parts, accessories and general merchandise. For more information, visit Harley-Davidson's Web site at www.harley-davidson.com.

This is exactly what they did at Bike Week this year. I think it's part of a corporate wide cost cutting strategy. The motor company moved out of the convention center  (read BIG $$$$$) which they have been in since dirt was invented, and into a series of large "Harley" tents across the street from the downtown Daytona Harley dealership. A good move for everyone.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 11:20:50 AM by CVOStreetglide »

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 01:37:58 AM »

The cheapened up at Az Bike week as well.  Instead of having self guided rides along a course, they had few employees and recruited road captains from the local hog chapters to give guided rides.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 07:17:22 AM »

I liked the Expo at the Civic Center, easy to park, good facility, air conditioned.  Oh well.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Ultra2010

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 07:36:06 AM »

I liked the Expo at the Civic Center, easy to park, good facility, air conditioned.  Oh well.

I'll second that!! 

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 08:45:25 AM »

Everybody's gotta do what they need to to survive this downturn. May not agree with everything they are doing but I'm not sitting in the room when the decisions are made.

BayouBiker

• Patriot Guard - HOG - ABATE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Cherry Jester 110"
    • CVO2: '99 FXDWG 96"
    • CVO3: 'BSR'
    • photos by Tiki Tom
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 09:16:32 AM »

I'll second that!! 

I'll third that.

Last time we were there, it was so F'n hot that the A/C at the Convention Center was a welcome relief after riding all day & stopping at (a very crowded) Rapid City HD.

:coolblue:
Live - Love - Ride
         :-*

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 11:22:54 AM »

I'll third that.

Last time we were there, it was so F'n hot that the A/C at the Convention Center was a welcome relief after riding all day & stopping at (a very crowded) Rapid City HD.

:coolblue:

Thats why there are BARS!!!!!    :drink: :drink: :drink:  You go look at the new Harleys and see what you need to see and then   :drink: :drink:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 07:11:38 PM by CVOStreetglide »

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 12:14:35 PM »

A few years ago, HD moved from the New Hampshire Speedway in Loudon (motorcycle races) to downtown Laconia.  Closer to the activities around the Weirs.  Very easy to park. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Ultra2010

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 12:38:11 PM »

I don't why they changed, most likely cheaper in Sturgis.  More than I don't know why, is "I don't really care".  If parking is easy and getting to and from their location is quick and easy... I MAY stop in, if not then I won't... no big deal either way ~ sure they won't miss me.  I'm just doing a quick drive thru this year anyway, not staying.  Might overnight in Murdo SD or Mitchell.  Can't pass on going to Chef Louie's in Mitchell for some damn good dead cow!!

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 23 queries.