Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Floorboard extentions being removed  (Read 18557 times)

jonga

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Floorboard extentions being removed
« on: June 27, 2011, 11:15:34 PM »

:oops:  Well for those of you that hadn't heard...... I put my bike down on Hwy 36 with the gang heading to tahoe GTG. I would have to say a combination of 1" shorter shocks and those floorboard  ext. decreased my lean angle considerbly. I'm sure everyone know the feeling of your floorboard hopping or skiping as touch them in a turn. With the ext on I was sliding on the frame of the floorboard which does not collapse upwards as the floorboards themselves do. I have to say it was a strange feeling to feel my back tire come off the ground as I tried to turn more and the bike just pivoted on floorboard frame. The back tire caught up with the front tire till the heat sheilds dug in and flipped me and the bike. In conclusion I feel very blessed to have been able to ride bike home for 250 miles and for bike to be riden also. I think my higher power picked me up and set me down out of harms way. For those of you considering floorboard extentions, I would have to say thumbs down for me. This is just my experience.  :2vrolijk_21: On a side note, my few little scrapes and cuts are all healed including a pretty nice shiner....thank you lord for my full-face helmet at that moment. Looking forward to Jim H-D dude putting my sweet  ride back  together and enjoying the rest of this summer's riding season.......Jon out... :orange: :2vrolijk_21:

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
Re: Floorboard extentions being removed
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 11:22:34 PM »

wow Jon,,,  glad to hear you are ok  other than the few scratches and the shiner,,  I have the floor board extenders on and never think about it,, I live in Fla and there are no twisties here at all...  Im gonna heading to NC in sept so  i will think about that,,  Jim will put your bike back together and make it all puuurty and shiny again.. Just glad that you are ok and here to tell us about it. :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 06:11:41 AM by cvostu »

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 11:39:13 PM »

Hey Jon,

First off, good to hear you're okay and the bike isn't too bad???

Secondly, now you've got me thinking as I have the same set up... Shorter H-D shocks in the rear and lowered front end with the floorboard extensions AND it's on my '08 which I believe sits lower than '09 & up bikes come stock!

Thankfully I have never experienced what you did even though I have scraped the boards a number of times... I guess you were over just that much more, but you do have me thinking about removing them now.

I love your spirit of getting back on and enjoying the riding season straight away.  I wish you the best in getting your ride back sooner than later, and a safe and happy riding season after that.

Take care,
Grizzly
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

jonga

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 11:41:07 PM »

Howdy Stu, thanks for the well wishes. I would say my towering height of 5' 5" which brought on the 12" shocks had as much to do with the problem  as the floorboard extentions. Never had a problem before the floorboards though.....I put them on about a month ago. They might not be a problem if you have 13" stock shocks.... Only know my own experience. Ride safe my friend. Jon

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 11:45:05 PM »

Sorry to hear of your mishap John, but glad you are ok. I have the extenders on my bike also but my front is not lowered and I try not to drag as I had one catch years ago and was very lucky to not go down and will never forget that scare, mine was catching a foot peg that almost threw me off. I just won't ride that agressive anymore. Hope you get your ride fixed soon we missed you in Tahoe. Take care.

jonga

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 12:20:27 AM »

Hey Jon,

First off, good to hear you're okay and the bike isn't too bad???

Secondly, now you've got me thinking as I have the same set up... Shorter H-D shocks in the rear and lowered front end with the floorboard extensions AND it's on my '08 which I believe sits lower than '09 & up bikes come stock!

Thankfully I have never experienced what you did even though I have scraped the boards a number of times... I guess you were over just that much more, but you do have me thinking about removing them now.

I love your spirit of getting back on and enjoying the riding season straight away.  I wish you the best in getting your ride back sooner than later, and a safe and happy riding season after that.

Take care,
Grizzly
Thanks Grizzly, I'm lucky to have my old bike and Susans to ride......just not the same as my 10 seuc. If I could just figure out how to retire so work wouldn't keep screwing up my riding time.....

jonga

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 12:27:29 AM »

Sorry to hear of your mishap John, but glad you are ok. I have the extenders on my bike also but my front is not lowered and I try not to drag as I had one catch years ago and was very lucky to not go down and will never forget that scare, mine was catching a foot peg that almost threw me off. I just won't ride that agressive anymore. Hope you get your ride fixed soon we missed you in Tahoe. Take care.
Thanks Terry, Wish I could have made the GTG also.....miss seeing you and Karen and everyone. I was looking forward to seeing that new motor of your, hows it treating you by the way ? I've decided  that playing with floorboard scraping is a game I don't want to play anymore. Take care my friend.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 02:33:49 AM »

Very sorry about your going down Jon and missed you in Tahoe.  Very happy to hear this mishap was not worse.  I hope we get to ride together later this summer.

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 02:50:38 AM »

Very sorry to see the pics of your accident that JC posted, but so glad that you were spared any serious injury.  Sounds as if you've readjusted your riding attitude and will be enjoying riding again very soon with just a tad less aggressive 'scraping'.  :) Ride safe Jon.  :2vrolijk_21: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 07:24:24 AM »

Jon,

I was shocked to hear about it but am glad to see that you are coming along. Is it possible to raise the board height? I know on the older bikes you can undo a bunch of bolts and slie everything up on the frame to give you more height.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

sgchick

• Sweeper
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 07:47:37 AM »

So sorry to hear you went down Jon. Glad you're ok and it wasn't worse!!! Amazing you were still able to ride the bike home after that. The bike can always be fixed :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 07:50:42 AM »

Jon sorry to hear about your accident... heal fast and fully.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 08:04:23 AM »

:oops:  ...Looking forward to Jim H-D dude putting my sweet  ride back  together and enjoying the rest of this summer's riding season.......Jon out... :orange: :2vrolijk_21:
Sorry Jon, but so glad you are going to be OK

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 08:15:48 AM »

Jonga, just a after-thought....being vertically challenged I lowered my SEEG with the adjustable air shocks (legends) so that when riding hard in the twisties like you were you can have the ground clearance yet still lower for moving the bike around in the parking lot.  Has worked well for me on the bagger.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

jonga

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 08:43:35 AM »

Very sorry about your going down Jon and missed you in Tahoe.  Very happy to hear this mishap was not worse.  I hope we get to ride together later this summer.

GK
Thanks Greg, looking forward to it..... :2vrolijk_21:  Jon
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 21 queries.