Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Worn Belt  (Read 1739 times)

donald.e

• donald.e
Worn Belt
« on: March 04, 2012, 12:37:17 PM »

I have a 2007 FLHRSE3 with only 18k on the clock, it is currently in for a service at my local dealer. I have been informed by them that the Belt needs replacing and the swing arm bushes are worn.
I questioned this as it seemed a little premature for these parts to be worn and requiring replaced, whilst I do not question the dealer Harley Davidson have stated that this is not unusual with this model due to the engine power output.
I find this very surprising and not acceptable, Therefore my question is has anybody had the same problem and what mileage might you expect from the Belt & Pulleys

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Worn Belt
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 12:41:21 PM »

the dealer... stated that this is not unusual with this model due to the engine power output.

If you are able to recognize what worn bushings or a questionable belt look like ask to see them.  This doesn't pass the sniff test.  If the dealer responds telling you some version of "you can't tell just by looking" ask them how they then discovered the problem and ask to see what measuring or other diagnostic equipment tests belts and bushings.

donald.e

• donald.e
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 12:51:53 PM »

apparently some of the teeth on the belt are detaching I have not seen the belt as I am 170 miles from the dealer but do not question their judgement, just the fact that this has happend at this mileage

donald.e

• donald.e
Worn Belt
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 01:20:14 PM »

I have a 2007 FLHRSE3 with only 18k on the clock, it is currently in for a service at my local dealer. I have been informed by them that the Belt needs replacing and the swing arm bushes are worn.
I questioned this as it seemed a little premature for these parts to be worn and requiring replaced, whilst I do not question the dealer Harley Davidson have stated that this is not unusual with this model due to the engine power output.
I find this very surprising and not acceptable, Therefore my question is has anybody had the same problem and what mileage might you expect from the Belt & Pulleys
apparently some of the teeth on the belt are detaching I have not seen the belt as I am 170 miles from the dealer but do not question their judgement, just the fact that this has happend at this mileage

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 02:12:54 PM »

No, it is not even close to normal for a belt to wear out at 18k miles.  And this comment ("this is not unusual with this model due to the engine power output") is pure BS.  If they think a CVO110 is some sort of fire breathing, belt and tire shredding high performance monster, they obviously lead a sheltered life and probably ride a moped as personal transportation.  Just sayin'. 

Belts can fail for all kinds of reasons, from just getting a bad one from the supplier to damage from rocks and debris or even high levels of ozone.  But the majority, even on the fire breathing CVO models, last 50k or more miles unless they are damaged somewhere along the way.  If you have those folks replace yours, I'd tell them I want the old one for my review.  And if there is damage, they need to closely inspect the pulleys.  Putting a new belt on damaged or severely worn pulleys will result in doing this all over again fairly soon.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

donald.e

• donald.e
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 02:23:55 PM »

Thanks Jerry, your coments were exactly what I said to the dealer, I was just want to gather some evidence of other owners and the mileage they have covered on a belt

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 07:09:19 PM »

A few years back I did have a belt break with just 10,000 miles. It was a colder than normal day and dealer said it cracked from the cold and all the torque tore the belt. Needless to say, they wouldn't warranty one way or another, as the owners manual say belts have no warranty.
I spent an extra $50 for a sidecar belt which is a little thicker than the standard one. Total job cost $800 and yes, I felt like I got bent over drove all the way home...
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 05:59:10 PM »

You mentioned that you were a considerable distance from your dealer.  Can you have them send you photos and make sure they keep the parts.  I agree with the statements above something doesn't smell right. 

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 06:27:59 PM »

Sounds like who evers been servicing your belt has been leaving it too loose.
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 05:55:16 PM »

Sounds like who evers been servicing your belt has been leaving it too loose.
Would a 'loose' belt also cause premature wear to swing arm bushings?  I'm not liking the 'sniff-test' either on this one. :-\ :confused5:  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

donald.e

• donald.e
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 03:11:27 AM »

The bike is still with the dealer, they have carried our all servicing from day 1, have also stated the bike has been well maintained.
The issue is still with HD UK, so watch this space.
If HD UK don't come up with an offer there will be one very Pi**ed off customer, I'm not looking for a free replacement but a very substantial discount over RRP and Labour.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 09:47:07 AM »

The bike is still with the dealer, they have carried our all servicing from day 1, have also stated the bike has been well maintained.
The issue is still with HD UK, so watch this space.
If HD UK don't come up with an offer there will be one very Pi**ed off customer, I'm not looking for a free replacement but a very substantial discount over RRP and Labour.

Not sure there's a lot to be pissed off about vis-a-vis the cost of the parts.  It's not a warranty job so you'd have expected to pay for a bad belt no matter the reason it failed.  The suspect part is the reasoning they offered.  Failure excuses made up to pacify a customer or justify a job only serve to make the shop untrustworthy.  If the belt is truly damaged all they should have said was that.  

"Your belt is missing teeth.  This is very unusual.  Especially for such low mileage.  We're sorry.  It'll cost xxx £ to fix it."

Making crap up about engine power or other foolishness can only make you worry about the reason they made up excuses.  If they've been the servicer from day 1 did they leave the pulley exceptionally out of adjustment?  After the fact you can't really know.  In fact the most likely culprit of damage (if damage is really there) is that you picked up some debris.  But it would have been so much simpler if they'd not chosen to be full of BS.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 11:03:59 PM »

I bought a new '08 SERK Annie back in '08. It seems to me that someone on this forum had swingsrm bushing fail on an '07 SERK. Not sure what all the circumstances were though.

A loose belt will put more strain on the belt than one that rides down in the teeth. As the loose belt climbs the teeth the leverage increases and the belt is forced under lots more pressure than normal to try and break.

I'm not saying this was your problem, it's just that someone asked a loose belt could cause the teeth coming loose. I could envision a loose belt snapping a belt, but should not peel teeth loose.

Good luck though with your belt and bearing issues.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.