Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 05 SE Fatboy engine specs needed  (Read 1116 times)

wagspe208

05 SE Fatboy engine specs needed
« on: March 18, 2012, 10:32:40 PM »

OK, long story not so long...
I'm an engine guy... car/ boat/ stock car/ water cooled stuff. I have a complete machine shop. I know specs/ clearances on stuff from crap to blown alcohol. BUT NOT air cooled stuff.
I have an 05 SE Fatboy. I have Woods 6HG cams, feuling oil pump, 1.75 rockers, adjustable pushrods, gear drive, etc.
So, I may toss in the cams/ gear drive, and run it. I know I need a programmer. I want this to be a couple night project, so need to round up parts in advance. (will the stock springs handle a .590 lift cam?) 
Plan B is to yank the heads, port them, throw in larger valves, and springs that will work with the 1.75 rockers, etc. Still want to round up stuff in advance.
SO...I need a source for bronze guides/ valves/ springs, etc. What clearance is run on air cooled guides?
Piston to head .040 minimum? Piston to valve standard .090 intake and .110 exhaust?
What size valves can I stick in the 103 without bore interference issues?
When cutting the cylinders for piston to head.. do you cut the base or the "deck"? Or doesn't matter?
What else do I need to know? Spring pressures... 150 ish seat/ 450 ish open?
Thanks for the help.
Wags

I'll see if I have a boat pic. Something different to look at.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: 05 SE Fatboy engine specs needed
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 11:24:37 PM »

There are a number of flaws in your plan
The heads have virtually no squish, why tighten up the piston to head or get so hung up on that? Why not a .030hg and call it good?
The porting will help but those heads don't need a lot of rework if that cam will stay. I have done many with the stock exhaust and a 1.94 intake. Your stock springs have 175# seat right now and over 400 at .6
My suggestion is get a hold of a professional and let them guide you through this. The CVO 103 is not the typical OEM Harley and has some quirks. You need no cam change, no added rocker ratio, and just some more compression to get this to run right.

wagspe208

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 09:40:09 AM »

That is why I am asking. So, just toss in some .030 gaskets, mild intake port work with 1.94 and thrash it?
That is way easier... then no programmer needed? Or it still benefits from a tune?
Thanks
Wags

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 06:49:49 AM »

By the time you round up all the parts/tooling to set it up, you'd be farther ahead to have someone else do this. :)
My 2 cents.
Scott

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 06:32:09 PM »

That is why I am asking. So, just toss in some .030 gaskets, mild intake port work with 1.94 and thrash it?
That is way easier... then no programmer needed? Or it still benefits from a tune?
Thanks
Wags
No
A set of 10cc dome pistons, yes a programmer (the right tuner will recommend that), and a little head work done by a professional.

wagspe208

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 10:38:15 AM »

Guys, thanks for the input, but maybe you don't understand my capabilities. I have a Sunnen VGS20 with all necessaqry tooling, head holding fixture, CK10 with torque plate setup for twin cam, VR8000 valve grinder. (along with a dozen other engine rebuilding machines) I am capable of doing any automotive race engine machine work. What I don't want to do is build harleys. I just need direction. I CAN try a dozen different things, figure out what works, etc but I'd rather ride. I'm not pissing on anyones post toasties... I do appreciate the input. If I am asking for secrets just say learn for yourself. No big deal.
Really, thanks for the input.
Wags

wagspe208

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 11:44:14 AM »

Or let me put it another way. You want a combination for a blown alcohol big block... call me. I will gladly give you any info I have.
You guys know harleys.
Wags

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 07:03:29 PM »

OK so still easy enough
You do the heads on the Sunnen and do the rest of what I said.

wagspe208

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 09:30:43 PM »

Sweet!
I did call the one local guy I trust that knows his stuff. He is way to busy to do it.
Since I'm in the business I am a picky MF when it comes to machine work.
Now, I just need a free weekend. HAHA
Wags

wagspe208

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 10:01:55 PM »

JE has a sweet 10:1 piece. I'll give them a buzz. It lists as '07 to '12 103". and only specs are 1.5, 1.5, 2.5mm ring. No dome/ dish volume.
Wags

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 05:55:27 PM »

Use CP pistons they offer a superior product IMHO

wagspe208

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 09:10:43 PM »

I'll check em out.
JE has a new forging, but that doesn't make it better.
Thanks
Wags

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 22 queries.