Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question ref replacing the clutch in the starter  (Read 605 times)

sd1209

Question ref replacing the clutch in the starter
« on: May 09, 2012, 08:22:38 PM »

I have an 03 SERK...I posted recently ref a "clunking" or similar sound about every 10-15 starts and, after reading a bunch of similar posts, believe it is the clutch in the starter...I will check the ring gear while the primary is off also.....

I am fairly handy with a wrench, is there anything tricky or different ref replacing the clutch in the starter after I get the starter out??  I have the manual with exploded view but just wondered if there was anything I really need to be aware of from those who have done this......Is it fairly straightforward??

thx

Steve C
2003 SERK
Fallbrook, Ca
Steve C.
Fallbrook, Ca
2003 SERK

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Question ref replacing the clutch in the starter
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 10:16:42 PM »

I have an 03 SERK...I posted recently ref a "clunking" or similar sound about every 10-15 starts and, after reading a bunch of similar posts, believe it is the clutch in the starter...I will check the ring gear while the primary is off also.....

I am fairly handy with a wrench, is there anything tricky or different ref replacing the clutch in the starter after I get the starter out??  I have the manual with exploded view but just wondered if there was anything I really need to be aware of from those who have done this......Is it fairly straightforward??

thx

Steve C
2003 SERK
Fallbrook, Ca

Nothing really "tricky" at all.  The eexploded view of the starter is a good road map.  If you see nothing there that concerns you you're likely good to go.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
Re: Question ref replacing the clutch in the starter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 12:05:45 AM »

I agree, shop manual, some patience, primary oil and some hand tools.
not that hard to access, just takes some time.
Look at it this way, good time to check the hot and ground leads from the battery, you can clean out all the gunk that hides under the starter AND you get fresh primary oil!
 8)
HOGMIKE

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.