Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Well, this just sucks....  (Read 2863 times)

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
Well, this just sucks....
« on: July 07, 2012, 10:15:29 AM »

Was nosing around checking prices of vehicles & bikes....pulled up Kelley Blue Book prices on my $30k+ investment....   

2003 Harley-Davidson FLHRSEI2 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Trade-in value: 
$10,050*
*Price Includes: Cruise Control

Suggested Retail Value - Excellent Condition:
$13,605*
*Price Includes: Cruise Control

Granted that these are baseline prices and does not include any OCD add-ons.....I doubt the overall price will move up that much....considering what I put in it.

I just feel so "used" now.     :nervous:

(I wonder when the "collectability" factor of the annniversary models will kick in? - I kept all the stock parts)

"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: Well, this just sucks....
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 12:52:20 PM »

Just my .02 but I don't think a motorcycle is a good "money investment", especially in the short term. Nine or 10 years is not a long time for collectables.
It's all a matter of supply and demand and H-D really didn't limit the anniversary models (didn't they have a 14 month production run for 2003?) so everyone who wanted an anniversary model got one.
As a buyer with limited funds, like most Harley purchasers they would think about "why would they pay new prices for a 9 year old bike with less features and no warranty?"
You would have to find a buyer who wants a collectable to add to his collection or someone who is just in love with that color and style.

You mentioned that you had all the stock parts, that might appeal to a collector in about 20 or more years, by then many of the 2003 models will have been wrecked, rusted out or highly modified. Then you could find a collector who would love to "find" a near mint 2003 to restore.

To be a true collectable there needs to be a small run of an item, just imagine if H-D only made 100 anniversary bikes in 2003. Then the demand would be much higher.
This is one area that I fell H-D has hurt the "investment" in a CVO since the early days they had small productions of one or two models and for only two years in a row. Look at it now when a CVO is in 3 or 4 models and 3 colors each. You also have the  CVO Ultra which has been produced for many years in a row.

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 01:12:01 PM »

Just my .02 but I don't think a motorcycle is a good "money investment", especially in the short term. Nine or 10 years is not a long time for collectables.
It's all a matter of supply and demand and H-D really didn't limit the anniversary models (didn't they have a 14 month production run for 2003?) so everyone who wanted an anniversary model got one.
As a buyer with limited funds, like most Harley purchasers they would think about "why would they pay new prices for a 9 year old bike with less features and no warranty?"
You would have to find a buyer who wants a collectable to add to his collection or someone who is just in love with that color and style.

You mentioned that you had all the stock parts, that might appeal to a collector in about 20 or more years, by then many of the 2003 models will have been wrecked, rusted out or highly modified. Then you could find a collector who would love to "find" a near mint 2003 to restore.

To be a true collectable there needs to be a small run of an item, just imagine if H-D only made 100 anniversary bikes in 2003. Then the demand would be much higher.
This is one area that I fell H-D has hurt the "investment" in a CVO since the early days they had small productions of one or two models and for only two years in a row. Look at it now when a CVO is in 3 or 4 models and 3 colors each. You also have the  CVO Ultra which has been produced for many years in a row.

Real good points  :2vrolijk_21:   

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 02:07:27 PM »

Yeah, I agree with what you said VaEagle.   My term "investment" was more satirical in nature.  I'm not looking to sell anytime soon but, I just was not quite prepared for the suggested current prices that I saw.  Appears to be accelerated depreciation going on these days...all things considered (bike is pristine condition). 

I got to thinking about our insurance coverages for the fleet of vehicles/toys that we have which was my sole reason for checking current values.   As for my '31 Chevy, should anything happen to it, we would probably have to battle it out with the insurance company going off of the professional/certified appraised value....which they have a copy of/on file.   I may try to get a professional appraisal for the '03 SERK to bring up the insurable/replacement value on it....just in case. 

EZ
"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 04:10:07 PM »

The days of buying a HD and riding it for two years, then selling it for what you paid for it are long gone.  It's depreciating asset, just like your family car.  Any extras you put on the bike do not increase the value,  unless you find a buyer that just loves what you've done and can't live without it.  Otherwise, you will be lucky to get 10 cents on the dollar.  Kelly Blue Book is what you're going to get, unless you luck up on a particular buyer.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 09:02:28 PM »

A 10 year old bike worth half of what you paid in my opinion is a great deal. I keep my bikes for three years and it cost me about $5000 a year in depreciation and I'm OK with that. The bikes have around 50,000 miles when I trade.
Bill

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 10:00:57 PM »

(I wonder when the "collectability" factor of the annniversary models will kick in? - I kept all the stock parts)

Not going to.  Especially for the 03s.  There were so many of them.  The 02s might have a little specialty cachet (especially the red ones) due to limited numbers.  But even them not so much.  At the end of the day is just a decade old motorcycle that will continue to get older.  Like it or not that's what we got.

Boxman88

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • States
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 11:22:34 PM »

We buy them to ride them. They are not one of a kind or anything like that. Enjoy the ride and don't worry what it's worth. If we did we wouldn't buy anything.
Charcoal Slate / Carbon Dust
HD Super Tuner / Custom Map
VH Power Duals / H.O. Slip On's
121 Torque 111 Hp
Progressive Monotubes Front
Progressive 944 Rear

moonpie

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1996 FLSTF w/OCD
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 06:48:57 AM »

Been riding Harleys for 45 years.  When I got my first CVO (03 SERK), I assumed that the depreciation on it, like the depreciation on all my other bikes, was the cost for the enjoyment of riding them. 
Keep Calm and Carry On

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 22 queries.